First Agency Job tomorrow

Hello all well I’ve got my first job for a agency tomorrow. :smiley:
It’s a run from Washington down to Chester in a flat bed. I’m looking forward to it as it will be good driving experience but I’m also a little nervous (to be expected I suppose). Is there anything I should watch out for on my first job? All I know is it’s going to be loaded/unloaded with 2 straps and someone will be there to check load at both ends but clearly I want to be happy with it as it’s my responsibility. I’ve not had any experience with straps so is there any info on here on how to use etc? Also it will be my first time using my digital tachograph card. Any pointers would be great, like do I put my card in before I do my checks etc, or just before I’m ready to set off? I take it I don’t have to put a manual entry in with it being the first time in the machine?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I know I’ll probably get all these answers tomorrow however thought I’d mention it on here first. :slight_smile:

Good luck with it mate. Can’t help you with most of questions as I haven’t got that far yet. But definitely card in set to other work before you do your checks.

I suppose manual entry may depend on what you’ve been doing before you start the shift.

Keep a diary of hours and vehicles used. It’s good keeping on top of what you’ve worked but also a written record. Keep records for past 28 days remember. It’s also handy to look back sometimes to see if there were any issues or defects. As agency you’ll be the first that someone will blame if anything goes wrong so diary can jog your memory and keep you right…

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Loaded/unloaded with 2 straps ? Does that mean the load is tied down with just the 2 straps ? If so,take more straps.Justin Case :wink:

Ramon123:
Loaded/unloaded with 2 straps ? Does that mean the load is tied down with just the 2 straps ? If so,take more straps.Justin Case :wink:

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure if it’s just the 2 straps. I’ll ask for spare, thanks for the advice.

Best of luck pal and I think you will be fine as you’ve already said you know it’s your responsibility, so if you’re not happy, strap it some more…
As I said earlier on another thread, don’t worry about a manual entry if this is your first use, but check the web on how to do a manual entry for future reference!

Enjoy! :smiley:

P.S. To give you a safety margin, use a strap at half its load rating.
i.e. if it’s a 5 ton strap and the load/item is 10 ton, use at least 4 straps!

Thanks to all that’s posted. I’m not even sure about straps. Still got all that to learn but I’ll ask questions if I’m not sure in the morning. Steep learning curve but looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Godzilla41:
Thanks to all that’s posted. I’m not even sure about straps. Still got all that to learn but I’ll ask questions if I’m not sure in the morning. Steep learning curve but looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Did you not use ratchet straps as part of your CPC?

If not check out YouTube…

Evil8Beezle:

Godzilla41:

Did you not use ratchet straps as part of your CPC?

If not check out YouTube…

No I didn’t as I got my CPC as a bus driver but I’ll have a look at some videos. As mentioned they are going to load and check but I want to know, have to know for the future. :slight_smile:

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy it! :sunglasses:

Thanks guys I’ll check in tomorrow and let you all know how it was. :smiley:

Best of luck. Obviously you don’t know the size/ type of load yet, but most general straps are rated 5 ton a piece so 2 would be ok up to 10 ton but also depends on what the load is as more could be useful even if just for added security. Also, if it’s pallets, be careful they don’t have one strap across the front pallets and the other over the last two with a few in the middle with nothing on them pallets… I wouldn’t take that out - Seen a few wagons going about like that and personally, I think DVSA would rub their hands if they seen it.

So does each individual load ie pallet would need a strap, not just the end ones?

Godzilla41:
So does each individual load ie pallet would need a strap, not just the end ones?

Each pair of pallets in a row (front 2 against headboard, then next 2 etc) i would put one over the top just in case and 2 or 3 straps on the back in an cross on a flat. Better to have too many than too little…

Thank you I’ll take note. Just one more thing, I know I have to take a break after 4.5 hours but if it takes nearly 4 hours to get there, can I set it to other work whilst I’m getting loaded/reloaded then take the break before the return leg? Basically I’ve been told I’m getting unit, 30 minute trip to then get loaded then further 3-3.5 hours driving, unloaded/reloaded ready to do reverse trip. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

That’s 4 1/2 hours driving time. You need a break if you’re working over 6 hours also of at least 15mins. For what you’re doing I’d probably take my 45 mins to reset my driving time. Keep it simple till you get used to it. Lots of threads on here bout this.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks thatsc what I thought. I’m going to try and try and get there and sorted for my return trip then take my 45 minutes before returning back up. Cheers

Goes with out saying, strap it as instructed & take it steady, 'specially on roundabouts & bends.

If your nearing your 4.5 hour drive time before you get there (with all the messing about 1st thing) I’d take at least a 16 minute ■■■■/sort out break just before you get there, then depends on what the drop is like where I’d take the remaining 31 minute break, if it’s a pain & takes ages to get tipped, have your break on site, if it’s a Breeze & your out in 10 minutes, take it on your way home.

(Note ! I said 16 & 31 minute breaks, that’s to make sure it records over/NOT under your legal break time)

Well I got here finally. Had my 45 minutes break earlier. I’m now sat waiting until the guys have had there break(around 20 left) do I set tachograph to rest or other work until then?

Godzilla41:
Well I got here finally. Had my 45 minutes break earlier. I’m now sat waiting until the guys have had there break(around 20 left) do I set tachograph to rest or other work until then?

I’d personally set it to “Break”, although POA is probably more appropriate.
I wouldn’t set it to “Other Work” as you’re not technically doing anything if you’re just waiting. Plus if your firm care about the WTD you want to keep this figure down, and only “driving” and “Other Work” count with regards to WTD.

Hope you’re enjoying it pal! :smiley: