firefox

I’ve been using firefox (and it’s mozilla predecessor) for several months now.
I find it far superior to explorer.

Similar to some earlier posters, I too was struggling to download plug-ins etc until recently.I found it annoying but still preferred firefox overall.Then by trial and error I stumbled across the solution.

Go to ‘Tools’
Then ‘Options’
Then ’ Web features’

Then tick the box ‘Allow websites to install software’

This is usually unticked as a default setting

Just use this setting to enable you to download the required plug-in.

Afterwards go back into Tools,Options,Web Features and uncheck the box so
you don’t allow this facility permanently.

This’ll stop any dodgy site installing any nasty software without your knowledge.

Alot of ‘Adult’ sites do this but I’m sure none of you look at such material :wink: (at least while the other half’s there) :smiley:

Shep

Hello all

IE no longer supports gopher sites which is a shame as Firefox does, so that’s another arrow to its bow. I still prefer IE for general surfing though as no matter the bad publicity for the security holes I have stil to meet someone who has been affected, maybe someone on here has or is it just a case of ‘heard it’s bad so it must be’.

Dean

Coffeeholic:
Yep, I’ve been using it since the day it was released and I like it, the tabbed browsing is good and it is a good bit faster than IE.

My brother has been using it as well and his only issue is that he can’t do his internet banking with it, his bank don’t like it it appears, I have had no problems using it on any bank/credit card site.

That is my only worry too, I got a warning from my bank about using different browsers, Is this some sort of con with Bill Gates.

“I will put my money in your bank, if you put this warning on your website”

If I download Firefox, can I go back to Ie later if it doesnt work?

Coffee, can you give me your brothers sort code, account number and pin number so I can check :smiley: Thanks

Wheel Nut:
That is my only worry too, I got a warning from my bank about using different browsers, Is this some sort of con with Bill Gates.

“I will put my money in your bank, if you put this warning on your website”

Works fine with the royal bank of scotland digi bank.

And yes you can go back to IE infact i still use IE for certain websites that dont support firefox

HTH
simon

Wheel Nut:

I have kept both browsers on my desktop and can change between them, no problem! The only site that my PC uses IE is for MSN Game Zone.

HSBC banking works fine on Firefox. :wink: (oh yeah, so does Lloyds)

I use Firefox both at work and at home. It works seamlessly on my 1.6G AMD board home computer (with 1 gig RAM), but it doesn’t work as well on my ancient 366 MHz P2 at work. I threw out a better home computer than this thing!

The problem is that, if you are using an obsolete CPU, you will find that Mozilla requires a bit more kernel memory and general CPU usage than most IE browsers do. On top of that, since I don’t have administrator access on the computer at work, I can’t download the stuff needed for flash player, so I still need to use IE for things like the animated weather maps and such.

I really like the tabbed windows. In the past, I needed 3+ IE windows open at work, now I just open 3 tabs in Firefox. Even though the window uses more virtual memory than IE, a single browser with 3 tabs uses less than 3 IE windows, so it works out in the end.

There is also a plug-in for Firefox which puts an extra option on the right click menu, to open a site in an IE window. Here’s the link to the info page :- addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m … on=firefox

I haven’t used the plug-in yet, so can’t say how it performs. There have been a couple of pages, where I clicked on a link but the page wouldn’t open. I got a page telling me that the site would only work in IE instead. Those pages are the reason I downloaded this plug-in, but I haven’t been to one recently.

Simon:
I haven’t used the plug-in yet, so can’t say how it performs. There have been a couple of pages, where I clicked on a link but the page wouldn’t open. I got a page telling me that the site would only work in IE instead. Those pages are the reason I downloaded this plug-in, but I haven’t been to one recently.

Thanks Simon, downloaded that one! I’ve found a few sites that won’t work with firefox :exclamation: :exclamation: :imp:

ive started using deer park alpha 2 which is the beta for the next version great

i cant use it
but i dont use i.e
safari does the job for me bn running it for bout a month now and not had any problems with that unlike when i tried to install firefox on ma mams pc

i havent had any virus yet no av enabled but norton installed on ma laptop cheak evry week nd none

is anybody using the new browser firefox instead of internet explorer .

I have just downloaded it and am still playing :laughing:

Yes. I’ve been using it for quite a while now. I like the tabbed browsing and the popupstopper. The options for cookies and the choice of themes are good as well. From a security point of view it’s a better bet than I.E. ,for the time being anyway.

Yep, I’ve been using it since the day it was released and I like it, the tabbed browsing is good and it is a good bit faster than IE.

My brother has been using it as well and his only issue is that he can’t do his internet banking with it, his bank don’t like it it appears, I have had no problems using it on any bank/credit card site.

yep just downloaded it today was on mozzila 7.1 before I think.

No problems with my banking, but egg money manager doesnt work with it.

Having a play with it, I can’t seem to get it to install any add ons like flash etc. It just sit their for hours and I’m on a broadband connection, the tabbed browsing is good, but I’m not sure about the way it downloads pages :confused: .

I’ve been using it for a while now as well.

I like it, but don’t do internet banking. I’ve had no problems with any plug-ins, so didn’t pay much attention to them LIb.
Thunderbird is the e-mail client which goes with it. That has built in spam filtering and a spell checker. I haven’t been able to copy the spellchecker into Firefox so that I can check for spelling errors when posting :unamused: .

I think that they are Linux programmes which also works with Windows, if they are, they are open source programmes. So they arn’t a challenge for hackers to write viruses against, so there is no fun in doing that sort of thing. Thats probably partly why they’re safer.

Get Flashplayer here

Run it and it will detect your browser then click ‘Next’ to install.

Thats macromedia it should prompt you to download which on you need, or update your software as & when you need it.

There is a link to the plug-in download page on the Mozillazine site. There is also a spell-checker for Firefox, which I found from the spell-checker in Thunderbird. I wanted to download the English english dictionary, as opposed to the American english dictionary. The link is in there but I lost the copy of it while I was navigating around in here :blush: :frowning: .
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Been using it for a while now also.

I haven’t had any problems with Internet Banking etc but I had some odd movie clips (funnies etc) downloaded before but I struggle tp play them. Every time I try to download the required plug-ins nothing really happens.

It’s a small price to pay though for a superior browser!!