Financial impact of foreign trucks on UK infrastructure

More MPs questions and answers, for those with any interest.

theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id … g213945.q0

Foreign trucks cause £16.8m damage per annum to UK roads.

£16.8 million and how much do they pay towards it ZILT.

if 1 in 7 top weight (40te+) trucks are foreign registered then how can the figure possibly be so low - pulled it straight out of his bum as usual :angry:

mind you even at their figure it confirms there’s absolutely no point implementing the LRUC :unamused:

it is only been a study and therefore shows
no where, the true costs,
Secondly to reply to dafdaves
comment about payment by non uk reg
,lorries, this has
been said many many times before,
SINCE the EURO:VINGETTE
came in no british goverment
wished to be part of the EU,s
road charge system,
so please PUT the blame where it
belongs inthe hand of the local
voters who vote in sucessive
goverments who have no intrest in
ensureing that the British haulage
will survive and prosper, ensureing
jobs for many people
will be there inthe future

brit pete:
,lorries, this has
road charge system,
jobs for many people

dafdave:

brit pete:
,lorries, this has
road charge system,
jobs for many people

dafdave:

dafdave:

brit pete:
,lorries, this has
road charge system,
jobs for many people

Sorry about the other 2 posts[cocked up]What i would like to say but said it wrong is,im not getting at the forien hauliers directly,as i have posted on other threads.No govt has accepted any system of taxation for forien hauliers over here,its ridiculous when you think that we are nowhere near operateing on a level playing field with our cousins in the eu.I have been retired 7yrs now but one night in the late 90s while waiting to board north sea ferries a number of us were in discussion with customs men about this very subject and they said to us the eu govt had stated that we could not have 2 systems.Because we have toll bridges we can,t charge road taxes,they do.Look at austria you have to pay taxes there and tolls for the tunnels,its one law for the chiefs and one for the indians.

the point about the two methods of road charge is not true as the goverments not the EU said they did not wish road charges, we have tolls also for tunnel, bridges in FRANCE;SPAIN ITALY GERMANY
to name but a few so sorry the customs were sprouting
fairy tales,

Forgive if ive missed this…but what happened to the “Brit tax?”

as usual they wizbang over complicated system which was thrown out as then being to expensive to impliment :laughing: :laughing:

now theres a shock :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it’s amazing how almost every new (2004) member of the EU, bar malta and Cyprus, have managed to put some system in place since joining - and none of them are even an island :exclamation:

the latest international newsletter from the FTA is FULL of nothing but new tolls and increased tolls, new restrictions blah blah blah :angry:

i would not let any left hand drive trucks into the country, until the driver had taken atest in this country to prove their proficency at operating a vehicle with the controls at the other side of the truck. this might cut down the deaths due to side swipeing. also a daily charge clock them in clock them out easy

Incidentally, I understand another MP will be proposing a PMB that will seek to ensure all foreign registered trucks have full fuel tanks when they depart the country. Tanks not full, refused entry to the ferry. The idea is they will then HAVE to refuel what they used in the UK, so they can’t use cheaper fuel elsewhere to subsidise UK running costs.

fuse:
i would not let any left hand drive trucks into the country, until the driver had taken atest in this country to prove their proficency at operating a vehicle with the controls at the other side of the truck.

Would you also insist that there were no right hand trucks on the continent for the same reason?

Stan

Most accidents which are allegedly caused by foreign truckers are blind side collisions into cars.

Should’nt it be explained like this?
British cars drivers have caused £16.8m worth of damage on Britains roads by travelling in the blind spot of foreign registered lorries.

fuse:
i would not let any left hand drive trucks into the country, until the driver had taken atest in this country to prove their proficency at operating a vehicle with the controls at the other side of the truck. this might cut down the deaths due to side swipeing. also a daily charge clock them in clock them out easy

so what about the ones that are already here? would the likes of me kindle etc have to do an extra test to prove our proficiency? better education of car drivers is a start, its not always the foreign trucks fault

limeyphil:
Should’nt it be explained like this?
British cars drivers have caused £16.8m worth of damage on Britains roads by travelling in the blind spot of foreign registered lorries.

the “study” means damage to road and structures, not collateral damage as in insurance claims phil

fuse:

Ok, so me with my British Class 1 ticket isn’t good enough to drive my (foreign plated) left ■■■■■■ on British roads? Why? And why we can’t just buy up the German MAUT system wholesale and install that… or even a brit-vignette…

Besides, if you think the eastern europeans are bad drivers… wait until you get the Turks and Russians over here in any numbers… you’ll be thankful to see Polish plates on the guy blind-siding in beside you very quickly. :smiley: :open_mouth:

The other option is to lower the ADR-free limit on diesel tanks. Currently we can Carry 1,500 liters on board without an ADR ticket. Drop it to 750 liters and they’ll need to fill up here a lot, or ship out more often.

same old arguments, and wishful thinking, and in 5 years time, you`ll still be saying the same thing…cos nothing wil happen.
You can also say that about the fuel increases, and the protests thats going on today…Mr Brown will not reduce his taxes, he needs as much as possible to give to terrorists, asylum seekers, and any other old ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ that arrives on our shores…

The reason foreign hauliers pay nothing here is because we want cheap transport. Like everything else here we import it rather than make it here. The people who make the real money here and have the kind of influence diesel protesters could only dream of are all based in the city. IF they ever decided that they wanted to make money from a MAUT system they would introduce one. In the meantime they’ll buy cheap haulage from whoever in order to boost profits. Remember that the German system is owned by companies such as Daimler (M-B) to you and me. If there’s enough bucks for the shareholders we’ll get one.

In the meantime we can all look forward to the extension of cabotage, not that the current regs are exactly well enforced.