Finally, had my 1st accident (a minor one) :(

Yeah, class 2 agency driver, job done - time to go out of the yard and head home, on my way out of this ■■■■■■ tight ■■■ yard I hit a steel fence post with my rear end where the curtain rod is, bent the post + wooden fence badly, wagon only had a small (2 inch) cut on the curtain. Guy came out, asked for my details and took a photo of my license + company details from the delivery notes.

It was my first (and apparently last) job with this client/company, I did report the accident as soon as I went back to the yard (about an hour later), the guy there said it’s alright…I didn’t tell him though that the post/fence were damaged. So this guy who took my details apparently called them and then they called my agency and I’m to provide a written statement tomorrow and I have a feeling they’ll try to get me to pay for the fence…even though I work for the agency as PAYE, there’s a clause in my contract about “negligence damage” which says driver pays 500 towards the insurance excess :imp:

Forgive me, fellow agency drivers…

You should have reported it before you left site and reported full damage. Did you photograph the fence? Might be a whole fence need replacing by the time he has told your boss

I wouldn’t be letting anyone photograph my driving licence. They can take my name and they have the truck details that’s enough as far as I am concerned.

You should have phoned up and reported it before leaving and taken photos yourself. But apart from that, crack on. Or just don’t go with another agency that make you sign to those insurance terms again. Hope they don’t end up charging you.

Did he ask for the licence photo or did you offer that?

kcrussell25:
You should have reported it before you left site and reported full damage. Did you photograph the fence? Might be a whole fence need replacing by the time he has told your boss

I wouldn’t be letting anyone photograph my driving licence. They can take my name and they have the truck details that’s enough as far as I am concerned.

Hmm, no, I didn’t take any pics. The first guys that came out (they were the warehouse workers who unloaded me) said don’t worry about the fence, we’ll watch your rear end (not that end) as you go out but then some other guy showed up (their boss, I suppose) and said I’ll help you (I was stuck at this point as there was no space either on the side or the front) but I’ll need your details afterwards. Why shouldn’t I give them my name? I’m more worried about getting a black spot on my name tbh just 5 months into my driving career.

You should have phoned up and reported it before leaving and taken photos yourself. But apart from that, crack on. Or just don’t go with another agency that make you sign to those insurance terms again. Hope they don’t end up charging you.

Pretty much all agencies I’ve signed/wanted to sign up with have the same kind of a clause, just the excess varies from 250 to 500. He asked to take a photo of my license on top of my delivery notes which had the company details so I thought it was … normal procedure, idk

Because your driving licence has your address on it, he doesn’t need that.

Next time by all means give him your name and employers name and address you just don’t need and probably shouldn’t give him yours.

Giving your name yes. But I would have refused the licence photo. He doesn’t need any information on there. But it’s done now.

Was it one of these yards that’s got ridiculous access for a truck and that’s why it happened or did you just make a a big misjudgment? If it’s the former then I hope they will look at the access and clear the yard a bit in future.

DickyNick:
Giving your name yes. But I would have refused the licence photo. He doesn’t need any information on there. But it’s done now.

Was it one of these yards that’s got ridiculous access for a truck and that’s why it happened or did you just make a a big misjudgment? If it’s the former then I hope they will look at the access and clear the yard a bit in future.

Remember people don’t make mistakes :wink:

DickyNick:

It was very tight - both the entrance and the space in front of the entrance; I had no problem reversing in but on the way out I had to go the other way (same way I came from) and there was a curb in front of the entrance on that side, I wanted to avoid mounting it so cut the corner a bit and was too focused on my nearside as it was almost touching the fence already…truth to be told, I feel 50/50 about the whole thing - they know their yard is crap so they should have someone seeing large trucks out; on the other hand, I as the driver am responsible for not undertaking risky maneuvers so I should’ve asked for help beforehand, but since i’m the type of person who doesn’t want to bother people I didn’t. Or perhaps I didn’t want them to know I’m a noob driver :open_mouth: which now everyone found out!

toonsy:

DickyNick:

Remember people don’t make mistakes :wink:

Now I never said that did I. I said there’s a BIG difference between making a mistake to what is on that video, a lot of which is either downright dangerous or just showing no consideration to anyone else.

adam277:

Careful - there is a legal requirement under S170 Road Traffic Act 1988 to give the other party your name, address, and also the vehicle owner’s name and address, along with the registration mark of the vehicle. It is possible that S170 would not apply if the incident occurred entirely on private property (e.g. if the collision was with another object or vehicle in a private yard), but collisions while driving in from or out onto the public road almost certainly are.

Still no need to show them your licence, let alone allow them to photograph it!

Roymondo:

adam277:

Careful - there is a legal requirement under S170 Road Traffic Act 1988 to give the other party your name, address, and also the vehicle owner’s name and address, along with the registration mark of the vehicle. It is possible that S170 would not apply if the incident occurred entirely on private property (e.g. if the collision was with another object or vehicle in a private yard), but collisions while driving in from or out onto the public road almost certainly are.

Thanks. I would say “next time I’ll know better…” but I’m really not looking forward to a “next time” :grimacing:

Roymondo:

adam277:

Correct. S170 still applies in this case if though it’s on private land. But as you say, name and address of driver and vehicle owner is all that’s needed.

The other party doesn’t need a copy of your photo, your driving licence number, your date of birth, you licence categories (assuming he took the front and back?).

There’s a lot of personal info there that he doesn’t need and your not legally obliged to give.

ETS:
I have a feeling they’ll try to get me to pay for the fence…even though I work for the agency as PAYE, there’s a clause in my contract about “negligence damage” which says driver pays 500 towards the insurance excess :imp:

Forgive me, fellow agency drivers…

And you agreed to it. FOOL :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Live and learn.

ETS:

kcrussell25:

Hmm, no, I didn’t take any pics. The first guys that came out (they were the warehouse workers who unloaded me) said don’t worry about the fence, we’ll watch your rear end (not that end) as you go out but then some other guy showed up (their boss, I suppose) and said I’ll help you (I was stuck at this point as there was no space either on the side or the front) but I’ll need your details afterwards. Why shouldn’t I give them my name? I’m more worried about getting a black spot on my name tbh just 5 months into my driving career.

Pretty much all agencies I’ve signed/wanted to sign up with have the same kind of a clause, just the excess varies from 250 to 500. He asked to take a photo of my license on top of my delivery notes which had the company details so I thought it was … normal procedure, idk

As others have said give your name and if asked your address but they don’t need all the other details.

I would look for an agency that doesn’t have that clause as they do exist or is a full-time job an option

I remember when I was on my first shift in a Class 1 the forklift guy told me to park next to the other lorry they were loading. Usual crap waiting for ages anyway this puddle jumper wanted to get past me so I done the polite thing and reversed back a little so he could squeeze through, Next thing there’s all this commotion and shouting and this guy is pounding on my passenger door so I jump out and I’m being accused of damaging there forklift and 2 pallets of chilled goods. Straight away red flags are going off in my head because the forklift and pallets where behind the other lorry so pics were taken straight away and one of the workers left a nice dent in the door where they pounded it so hard. So in the end they got charged for the damage. Never fully trust any loader/forkie too guide you if in doubt get out and check yourself. Sorry for wall of text lol

The only comment I’ll make is that the only person who even see’s my licence would be a copper, period.

I’m surprised they are allowed, legally, to make drivers sign this insurance excess thing as part of the offer of employment because accidents and the risk of that is all part of the expense of running a haulage company or fleet of vehicles and the cost of minor accidents and insurance excess payments should all be factored into it.

theres a lot of saddo folk out there who their modus operandi is to milk even minor situations for all theyre worth. trip on a paving slab they start a compo case or talk out of line about them and its slander . As long as you ignore them ,dont meet their gaze, dont ever write to them ,reply to them or text they tend to move on. the guy who took a photo of your licence will prob go on to milk the situation, totally ignore any communication,play the long game is what id do

ETS:

DickyNick:

It was very tight - both the entrance and the space in front of the entrance; I had no problem reversing in but on the way out I had to go the other way (same way I came from) and there was a curb in front of the entrance on that side, I wanted to avoid mounting it so cut the corner a bit and was too focused on my nearside as it was almost touching the fence already…truth to be told, I feel 50/50 about the whole thing - they know their yard is crap so they should have someone seeing large trucks out; on the other hand, I as the driver am responsible for not undertaking risky maneuvers so I should’ve asked for help beforehand, but since i’m the type of person who doesn’t want to bother people I didn’t. Or perhaps I didn’t want them to know I’m a noob driver :open_mouth: which now everyone found out!

With experience comes the knowledge to drive away quicker next time.

Have very little sympathy for anywhere that has artics regularly and still park cars and leave crap everywhere across the yard

This is from .gov website…

gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/if … n-accident

If you’re in an accident

If you have an accident causing damage or injury you must give the following to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ for example an insurance company:

your name and address
the vehicle registration number
You also need to give the owner’s name and address if the vehicle isn’t yours.

You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you don’t give your details at the time of the accident.

You must also report the accident to your insurance company, even if you’re not planning to make a claim.

Learner driver…

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell