Finally got me hgv licences

Hi everyone, Im “H” from east yorkshire. Im currently a coach driver, held my licence since jan 2005, been coach driving last 6.

Just recently passed my class 2 & 1 (both first time) and im eager to get a job. Im hoping having experience of driving all over uk coaching will bode well for me.

Had my first interview/assesment otherday with a local company. The interview bit seemed to go good, then the vehicle check over did then on to the drive…errrr…well, i drove a trailer with rear steer (first ever time) and on 1 bit, when passing parked cars and a car coming flying up towards me, leaving me little room, my front n/s wheel clipped/mounted kerb ever so slightly (i was been a bit to cautious of the trailer i think). I was gutted, didnt even touch a kerb whilst training on my class2/1. But i was told it was a good drive still.

Will this go against me do you reckon? I have not heard back off them yet(he did ay i could hear back the same night)…i personally dont think its looking good for me tbh.

Anyone got any tips/advice on applying for places etc etc.

Thanks,H.

Don’t knock yourself up over a small mistake, it’s Bank Holiday/Cider O’clock so they will all have gone home for a few Shandy’s.
I’ll put money on you hearing from them next week. Just remember, you’ve got to Strap the cargo now & not wait for the Blue Rinse Brigade to put their seat belts on [emoji6]

Oh & by the way, Loose the Waistcoat [emoji6].

thanks…

bit worried now, did a search for heron foods (where it was) and it seems to get alota bad reviews :confused: :open_mouth:

From what I hear about that place, they’ll be knocking on your door trying to drag you to the depot if you don’t answer your phone on first ring! :slight_smile:

Anyone with any sense should have a clue that you’re not going to be perfect, but in my experience you can’t rely on them getting back to you “next day” or even the one after. They do sometimes bother to get around to contacting you in a few days which as mentioned with the bank holiday etc won’t be until at least Tuesday…only the drivers work odd days, not management.

Not sure they’re bad to work for from what has been posted, but maybe there are better ones, just getting an initial job can be the hardest part. Crack on with it if offered and then look for something better in 6 months time when you’ve got some of that magic stuff called “experience” which apparently turns you into a driving god, at least in the eyes of their insurance companies.

PS: If you don’t want the job in the end, can I have it? :wink:

Well the fact they employee idiots isn’t helping! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137165
I personally don’t know anything about Heron foods, but food service generally ■■■■■! :cry:

Don’t stress about the assessment as it’s done and dusted now, plus there is nothing to say you won’t get a call next week…
Best of luck and keep banging away! :smiley:

Heron do have a high turn over of staff but I am not sure why? If you get offered it though take it, it’s a start which can be hard to find as a newbie…

Pm me if you want to chat, they is a few local lads on here that will help if they can.

Edit, I know Clive warcup are after drivers you can be based out of goole/Driffield, p d tattersall are after a few drivers and apparently pay well mon-fri on quarry work.

Samledger only passed back end of last year I think and he’s landed a cushdy number, don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get it.

thanks guys…

i read that on HDM…weird how it appeared day after my interview.

to me they come across as a good company to work for, maybe im just looking a little to much into it?

just miffed i actually hit a kerb, i dont do that in coaches…just thought that would be like an instant fail with them tbh.

them other companies arnt far from me…goole etc (only in beverley)

do you have any links to there job site advertisements?

im just hoping maybe companies take into account my coaching experience (a big ask maybe? 1 of the coaches i drive is longer then some artics :cry: )

HGV:
thanks guys…

to me they come across as a good company to work for, maybe im just looking a little to much into it?

just miffed i actually hit a kerb, i dont do that in coaches…just thought that would be like an instant fail with them tbh.

im just hoping maybe companies take into account my coaching experience (a big ask maybe? 1 of the coaches i drive is longer then some artics :cry: )

I’ll send you the adverts in a message, driving professionally has got to put you in good stead in my eyes? Not asif you’ve gone from a car to a lgv like most of us have,

I’ll inbox you now

yt03:

HGV:
thanks guys…

I’ll send you the adverts in a message, driving professionally has got to put you in good stead in my eyes? Not asif you’ve gone from a car to a lgv like most of us have,

I’ll inbox you now

thans for pm’s :wink:

I’m not going to put u off but I wouldn’t work there for any money in the world I did one shift there when I first passed and I would never go back the work is really ■■■■

samledger1212:
I’m not going to put u off but I wouldn’t work there for any money in the world I did one shift there when I first passed and I would never go back the work is really [zb]

in what way was it bad bud?

as said previous, i’ll be new to all this, so i wouldnt know any diff to compare it too

HGV:
thanks…

bit worried now, did a search for heron foods (where it was) and it seems to get alota bad reviews :confused: :open_mouth:

I know a couple of lads who work there. One loves it, the other hates it. Each to their own I suppose.
I gather it’s a bit of hard graft, pulling full cages and so on. If I remember right it’s a 4 on 4 off shift pattern of either earlies or lates. But the wage isn’t too bad.
Nothing to lose by giving it a go. If you want any more info I can try and find out for you.
Cavey.

Captain Caveman 76:

HGV:
thanks…

I know a couple of lads who work there. One loves it, the other hates it. Each to their own I suppose.
I gather it’s a bit of hard graft, pulling full cages and so on. If I remember right it’s a 4 on 4 off shift pattern of either earlies or lates. But the wage isn’t too bad.
Nothing to lose by giving it a go. If you want any more info I can try and find out for you.
Cavey.

thats the thing, some jobs people love, some hate. i dont see what the problem is with the hard graft, the pay is good enough for it (imo).

its 5 on 3 off, so can actually plan a life, plus over time available.

like you say, nothing to lose…even though others iv applied to might get in contact sooner

Wren kitchens was after drivers am sure they run from Goole? There’s d&p which do day work, if I like what I hear tomorrow I can always put you forward for my job :smiley:

HGV:

Captain Caveman 76:

HGV:
thanks…

Cavey.

thats the thing, some jobs people love, some hate**. i dont see what the problem is with the hard graft,** the pay is good enough for it (imo).

like you say, nothing to lose…even though others iv applied to might get in contact sooner

Think of it as getting paid to go to the gym!!! :smiley:
A shift pattern like that means you’ll only get a full weekend off every eight weeks.

It’s good that you’ve got options, this time next week you’ll probably have a permanent job! Let us know how things pan out.
Cavey.

yt03:
Wren kitchens was after drivers am sure they run from Goole? There’s d&p which do day work, if I like what I hear tomorrow I can always put you forward for my job :smiley:

Do you work for d&p?

Captain Caveman 76:

yt03:

Do you work for d&p?

No I work in bulk haulage

yt03:

yeh i noticed they was advertising, seems poor wages tho.

d&p dont specify wages though, but heard they take on newly passed drivers

Captain Caveman 76:

HGV:

Captain Caveman 76:

HGV:
thanks…

Cavey.

thats the thing, some jobs people love, some hate**. i dont see what the problem is with the hard graft,** the pay is good enough for it (imo).

Think of it as getting paid to go to the gym!!! :smiley:
A shift pattern like that means you’ll only get a full weekend off every eight weeks.

It’s good that you’ve got options, this time next week you’ll probably have a permanent job! Let us know how things pan out.
Cavey.

thats what i thought, paid work out sessions. well i works out 2 weekends off after each other wont it?

but i dont mind, least i can plan stuff then, instead of my current job.

i will keep everyone updated

yt03:

Captain Caveman 76:

yt03:
There’s d&p which do day work, if I like what I hear tomorrow I can always put you forward for my job :smiley:

Do you work for d&p?

No I work in bulk haulage

Phew, I can say what I think of them then! :grimacing:

Only worth considering if you’re desperate. They do take on newbies, but they seem to move on to better things after 6 months, and they’re not complimentary about the company! Pay is not much above minimum wage. Worse company than Stobrats!