Finally got a call from an agency

Having renewed my hgv licence back in July, I’ve had no luck getting work but got a call out the blue this morning from an agency offering me a days work on class 2 tipping pallets etc. locally. Was mid morning before I got to the yard and it was mahem, busy as hell so it was all a rush to sort my sheets out etc. and then given the keys to a merc 3 axle 26t. A few ‘new’ experiences for me today. Digi tacho, first time with that. Curtain sider a first, under chassis tail lift a new, and also the merc had a semi auto gearbox, also a new one to me.

Obviously, if there were any questions I had regarding safety I would have asked (did my pre drive checks and all was ok) but being keen and wanting to impress like it’s no big deal, I set off and sussed the gear box out quickly (very tempremental I thought)… also stopped in a layby and gave the tail lift and curtain sides a quick go just so I don’t look a divvy at my first tip lol.

All in all, I think I did ok, I was relaxed after an hour or two and done the work and got back to the yard without hitting anything (always a bonus). Great confidence boost today and hope to get some more work soon.

Hi Andy
Well done on a good day take your time kind of day,as you have been driving before you know what’s what,get no points for rushing about hopefully turn into a permanent job.

Cheers mate. I am really glad I got a cheap pair of gloves from poundland as well… didn’t put them on first couple of drops and my hands were black as hell after using the curtain ratchets lol. It’s the little things that make a difference at times :slight_smile:

Well done buddy great news on the job! I got a call back from a large logistics firm today that want me in for a interview and a assessment (assuming I pass my mod 4 next week). Will be on fridges which I haven’t done before and class 1 which is ideal. Too say I’m excited is a understatement, not a job yet by any means but a foot in the right direction like yourself!

Great news Andy ! Hope some more work comes your way !

Regards,

Ron

Good luck bud… make sure you exaggerate your head movements on them mirrors so the assessor knows you’re taking it safe.

The assessor will try to trip you up…

take you towards a weight limit or low bridge so that you pay attention.

also watch out for the stop signs on the roads as they will distract you by talking football so you give way.

finally check your tail lift before you leave the yard as there has been instances when the remote control (okay wired) is faulty and when you are up on the tail you definitely cannot reach the fixed controls!

Good Luck…

andy_s:
Good luck bud… make sure you exaggerate your head movements on them mirrors so the assessor knows you’re taking it safe.

Like the bike test, I actually gave myself a proper neck injury on my Mod 2 from all that nodding! worth it though! :smiley:

well done,

id’ say however check the tailift is working before leaving the yard, will save you at some point :slight_smile:

Priest:
well done,

id’ say however check the tailift is working before leaving the yard, will save you at some point :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip mate, a very valid point as most drops didn’t have a forklift and I had to pallet truck them onto the tail lift.

Spoke to the man at the agency today about any feedback from the haulage company and they said they were happy with me and would use me again so that’s good news.

Glad it went well pal, and my only comment is that IF you’d checked your kit properly in the yard, you wouldn’t have been criticised for it by anyone that mattered. And as long as you cracked on with it people would think you’re just professional, and probably not a slap dash liability. :open_mouth: Yes there will be the cowboy firms that will practically drive you out the gate with fork-lifts, but you don’t want repeat work with them anyway! :wink:

Don’t be afraid to ask or check, it shows you have the right attitude…

Got a call off the agency guy earlier and the company want me back in some days this week which is good news… bit frustrating that the agency guy doesn’t know what I’ll be driving and carrying or where I’m going… or maybe I’m asking a bit too much from them lol

They rarely have those details

Priest:
They rarely have those details

I guess mate. Wouldn’t be so bad if I had a car as I’d chuck in a duvet and all sorts but I’ve only got a little 50cc motor scooter at the minute so it’s all back pack.

Even if they say you’ll be driving X to Y, by the time you get to the job it’ll have changed. Just take whatever they offer and run with it when you’re starting out.

Dont worry about taking stuff, you need all your cards, sat nav is good, and maybe some snacks, oh and a pee bottle helps.

trevHCS:
Even if they say you’ll be driving X to Y, by the time you get to the job it’ll have changed. Just take whatever they offer and run with it when you’re starting out.

Dont worry about taking stuff, you need all your cards, sat nav is good, and maybe some snacks, oh and a pee bottle helps.

Lol… that brings back memories with something to pee in :slight_smile:. Got the essentials and a couple of Gingsters pasties, rollies and a flask.

Can I recommend std lucozade bottles (smaller ones) as the opening is wider and much much easier to “use”. The lucozade sport ones are ok, but not as simple to use after you’ve spent half an hour looking for an appropriate layby. Oh and do mark the bottle so there’s no questioning which was which. :slight_smile:

You’ll be driving a TRUCK! :open_mouth:
So get on with it TRUCK driver! :laughing:

P.S. Newbies that haven’t driven a manual (i.e. slap box or 4 over 4) should assess in advance whether they can cope with facing one, or whether it would be a good idea to do a lesson in one for practice. Your call…

Had another hectic day with the same company through my agency. 12 hour jobby and really felt it when I finally stopped (i’m working up to the 15 hour ones lol).

When I got back, I cleaned the cab and started on rolling up a dozen or so rachet straps I’d use for load securing during the day and put them back in the boxes… a guy out the warehouse came out and gave me a hand and we were chatting about my day etc. and when we finished he said he really appreciated me staying late and doing the straps as most drivers would have just plonked them in the boxes and sod off home… he asked me my name and said he is one of the Directors and will have a ‘chat’ with the other directors tomorrow… Was bit surprised as he was in an oily hi viz jacket and I said 'Didn’t realise you were a Director, I just thought you were some scruffy warehouse fella :slight_smile:.

Hopefully it’ll mean the company asking the agency for me more often.

that’s what being professional is about, not just being able to drive but also paying attention to such things like rolling the straps, cleaning stuff… well done drive