Finally biting the bullet

Hi guys, this is my first time posting as you can see!

So i thought what better way to start off than in here. I’ve finally decided to get the ball rolling in taking my cat c and eventually c+e license. Im just in the middle of sending off for my provisional and sorting out a medical! Fingers crossed that come the new year i can actaully start taking lessons.

although I hold no current LGV license, I actually work as a night shunter for a mailing company (in house license) so I am hoping that the experice I have in this will help me along the way :slight_smile:

any tips or advice anyone is willing to give would be hugely appreciated…hopefully I can keep you all upated along the way too!

Paul.

Make sure you visit a few training providers before booking unless you know a reputable company.
Never pay money over the phone before visiting.
Keep away from the brokers,middle men

Good luck

Paul

Thanks for the advice! I’ve done quite a lot of research and read through nearly every thread on here about brokers and shopping round first etc. Im from Liverpool and have looked into a few I could possibly use, Town & Country is looking like the most likely as I’ve heard nothing but good things about them, I see they are mentioned on here and many of the drivers in my work done training throught them :smiley:

Tick both C & D on the D2 form

Check out the link in my signature below as well as other stickies near the top of this forum then check out recent posts by newbies to see what the job market is like for them - unless you have a job already lined up with your present company

Thanks i’ll take a look at them, to be honest I think im quite fortunate as my company have already said they would be willing to provide me with work once I have passed (still a long way off) but positive I guess! and they would vouch for me on the experience side, along with my current shuting role :slight_smile: I actually looked in to them going about funding me, but they wanted 2 years return or I would have to pay back the full amount, wasnt too keen on this as they’re not the best firm to work for so dont see myself being there for that amount of time.

Consider Chevron at Flint. He has his own test centre and a good rep.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hey all, it’s been a while but just thought Id gives yous all a quick update! I’ve finally managed to save enough money for me to be able to do both my C and C+E.

I’ve called town and country in Kirkby and have arranged for my assessment drive on Thursday to see how many hours tuition I will need! After hearing such good reviews of them on here and through work colleagues, it was a simple choice really, been quoted £890 for cat C and then if I do my C+E through them they are willing to do it at a discounted price.

Fingers crossed I’ll be posting with good news on passing in the not to distant future.

Good luck mate. I’m in a similar position now. Got the money sorted, now gotta book my medical and get my provisional sent off. Will be leaving my current job at end of October.

So fricken excited now.

my advice is go somewhere that trains in an auto gearbox truck, it makes it so much easier, more likely to pass first time, retest fees can be £400, each time.

Tockwith Training:
my advice is go somewhere that trains in an auto gearbox truck, it makes it so much easier, more likely to pass first time, retest fees can be £400, each time.

I have a 90%+ first time pass rate on manuals so I beg to differ.

Paul :smiley:

So difficult to make comparisons fairly. Tockwith says £400 for a retest. We are £270. Elmet says 90% first time pass on manual - but it’s a 6 speed with a split that doesn’t have to be used. So how does that help someone who wants to learn how a typical truck gearbox works? It’s a brilliant pass rate though and no-one can argue that.

Tockwith also says it’s so much easier and more likely to pass first time. I’m inclined to agree. Maybe if Elmet had an auto he’d do 100%.

I can only speak for myself; we offer 8 speed manual (a conventional 4 over 4 as found in many manual trucks), automatic (more and more common) plus a choice of w+d or artic. So, for us, choice is the key. The simple way of achieving CAT C, IMO, is auto followed by an hour on a manual for added knowledge.

IMO there is no right and wrong. Simply a matter of customer choice.

Peter Smythe:
So difficult to make comparisons fairly. Tockwith says £400 for a retest. We are £270. Elmet says 90% first time pass on manual - but it’s a 6 speed with a split that doesn’t have to be used. So how does that help someone who wants to learn how a typical truck gearbox works? It’s a brilliant pass rate though and no-one can argue that.

Tockwith also says it’s so much easier and more likely to pass first time. I’m inclined to agree. Maybe if Elmet had an auto he’d do 100%.

I can only speak for myself; we offer 8 speed manual (a conventional 4 over 4 as found in many manual trucks), automatic (more and more common) plus a choice of w+d or artic. So, for us, choice is the key. The simple way of achieving CAT C, IMO, is auto followed by an hour on a manual for added knowledge.

This is what I have found when reading around this site. I think its important to do your homework. No point learning in an Auto if you get a job driving a 4-4 manual.

I think its better to learn in the hardest possible then any job you get with an easier gear box will be a bonus.

Also a 8 speed slap over in my MAN

Peter Smythe:

Can’t argue with that!!!

Quick update.

So I’ve just been and booked to start training!

I start my lessons Monday 27th October and have my test booked for Friday 31st. Cannot wait to get going now, I only wish it was sooner! :smiley:

Quick question…I’ve been asked to pay the £115 test fee upfront, says its basically to cover him in case I decide to cancel nearer the time. does this sound normal?

Chees

johnsop2:
Quick question…I’ve been asked to pay the £115 test fee upfront, says its basically to cover him in case I decide to cancel nearer the time. does this sound normal?

Chees

Tests can be cancelled without loss 3 days beforehand but its not unusual for a company to ask for a deposit in case you cancel at the last moment

I thought as much, they seem to be pretty reputable from what I’ve read on here and heard from a few work mates, I don’t plan on cancelling either so it’s no skin off my nose to have to pay.

ROG:

johnsop2:

Chees

Tests can be cancelled without loss 3 days beforehand but its not unusual for a company to ask for a deposit in case you cancel at the last moment

I Believe it’s 5 days Rog 3 days to name it.

elmet training:

ROG:

johnsop2:

Chees

I Believe it’s 5 days Rog 3 days to name it.

I stand corrected if that is the case