Finally biting the bullet

A Friday test must be cancelled no later than Monday so not to lose the test fee.

A Friday test must be named no later than Wednesday.

Paul :smiley:

Quick update!

Had my theory multiple choice and hazard perception tests today, relieved to say I passed both scoring 97 on multiple choice and 86 on hazard perception!

To say I’m relieved is an understatement. I put myself under a bit of pressure by booking my practical training before passing both theory, but thankfully now I don’t have to worry about that.

Can’t wait to get going on 26th now!

I’ll post in the near future with the progress of my training :smiley:

johnsop2:
Thanks for the advice! I’ve done quite a lot of research and read through nearly every thread on here about brokers and shopping round first etc. Im from Liverpool and have looked into a few I could possibly use, Town & Country is looking like the most likely as I’ve heard nothing but good things about them, I see they are mentioned on here and many of the drivers in my work done training throught them :smiley:

Mate, I’d stay away from town and country. I speak from experience. Plus, they have you take your test out of atherton in Wigan, which is a pain in the arse - trust me.

I live in Liverpool, and in the end, I went with chevron training in Flintshire (26 miles away) and I can’t recommend them enough. Passed my C test with them and have my CE training booked, AND, you take your test out of their own test centre. Where you practice your reverse, is where you do your reverse on your test.

Give chevron training a ring in Flint and go for an assessment, you won’t be disappointed.

Only just read that you have already booked. Nothing against the boys at T&C, but atherton test centre has some right drama going on there. Watch out for one test examiner in particular, Mike Burton - he’s an impatient, bad tempered old ■■■■, that said before my test “wanna get this test done and get home” all the way through the test (that I failed) he was huffin n puffin, tapping his pen off of his clipboard, and even said “come on mate, you can get through that gap” with a really snarky tone in his voice. I even got my complaint against him upheld by the DSA.

I think, if I recall rightly, atherton have a really bad pass rate. Nothing against Steve and Sean at T&C, but the test centre is a painful experience.

Saying that, I only speak for myself, I know others who have passed in atherton!

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah each to there own I guess, I’ve heard more good things then bad about them…I’ll have to let you know how I get on at atherton and if I have the pleasure of getting that narky examiner!

Tockwith Training:
my advice is go somewhere that trains in an auto gearbox truck, it makes it so much easier, more likely to pass first time, retest fees can be £400, each time.

Sorry but can I say I think this is terrible advice. For many drivers wanting to get in to this they will have undoubtedly given it some thought. How they want to work, shifts, employer or agency.

Isn’t it a terrible approach to learn and pass a test in a lorry they will never drive. If someone is going to apply for a position that drives Artics, what is the sense of learning in a Wag n Drag, to then have an assessment in a truck they are brand new at?

If anything, I think people should be trained in the most difficult of lorries, so anything else is easier.

After all, if you learn to drive a car in an Auto, you can’t drive a manual after you pass. But you can vice versa.

Phil1979:

Tockwith Training:
After all, if you learn to drive a car in an Auto, you can’t drive a manual after you pass. But you can vice versa.

I can see an EU directive changing that at some point in the future

Am I right in saying that the USA, Canada and Australia/New Zealand only has one car test which covers both manuals and autos no matter which you pass in?

ROG:

Phil1979:

Tockwith Training:
After all, if you learn to drive a car in an Auto, you can’t drive a manual after you pass.

The OP is correct I passed my car test in a manual so I can drive both.I passed my rigid in a manual so I can again drive both.I passed my artic test in an auto but I still can drive a manual.Strange isn’t it lol.

Tockwith Training:
my advice is go somewhere that trains in an auto gearbox truck, it makes it so much easier, more likely to pass first time, retest fees can be £400, each time.

Good advice - you can always do an additional days training in a manual box after passing . I trained in a fifteen year old Volvo and some pupils had to use both hands to engage reverse . !!!. ( not a very good start to the reversing exercise if you are struggling to engage reverse ) Part of the gearbox had to be rebuilt when I was training , the kingpin on the trailer jammed ( also had to be replaced ) , and a window fell out of the winding mechanism . Luckily I dont drive for a living so it did not matter that I had a few fails ( passed C&E at third attempt ) . As there is no point in making the test difficult for yourself , make sure that the instructor has a modern up to date vehicle and preferably DSA approved . Teaching is a skill which needs to be independently assessing regularly .

Learning in a manual won’t be a problem for me, I was a shunter for 2 years so I got used to pretty much every type of manual gearbox there is I think.

I learned in a slightly dodgy old 4/4 manual, now drive autos. I’m glad I started out like that, if I’d have been offered auto I would have said no, even though I knew I’d be driving them after I passed. Took me 2/5 days to get my head round the gears as I kept forgetting to switch to low range at first - even did it once on my test, lol, luckily the examiner was brill and didn’t mind as I was still safe & legal :wink:

Good luck johnsop2, hope you don’t get the a-hole Endgame had - what a charmer eh? :imp:

Ive just sent off for my provisional so hope to start training asap.

My advice would be to learn in a manual, its not hard im a ex fitter and was driving them around the yard as a 16 year old apprentice. A bit of practice it becomes natural ( obviously a bit different on the road )

Just be thankful you will be learning in a vehicle that doesn’t have a crash box or you would be playing some tunes on the ■■■■■■ :grimacing:

Like I’ve said many times, IMO there’s no right and wrong. It’s what you’re happy with.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: