Filthy cabs & nights out

Doing a bit of night out work at present for agency, and had a cab on Monday night that was a bit border line in the hygeine department :confused:
As it was only one night I put up with it as I took a bottom sheet & clean pillow & duvet with me.

Was wondering if anyone had turned up for a job & refused to use the cab as it was so minging etc. I can see the day coming when I might turn up one Monday morning, jump in the wagon & think ā€œNo thanks, I ainā€™t sleeping in thatā€.
I donā€™t expect 5 star but was wondering where you might stand with agency etc if I walked away due to hygeine issues. Does employer has any obligations in ensuring cleanliness of cabs?

Anyone ever walked away due to hygiene issues?

i wouldā€™ve thought in the present climate that walking away because the cab is dirty is a sure way of getting plenty of time at home.

Report it to the agency and get them to negotiate with their client for extra time for an agency driver to clean it :bulb: :bulb: :question: :question: :question: :question:

ROG:
Report it to the agency and get them to negotiate with their client for extra time for an agency driver to clean it :bulb: :bulb: :question: :question: :question: :question:

Forget. They should negotiate with some agency for cleaners, not with me. I wonā€™t clean someoneā€™s rubbish (and who knows what else).

I once refused to drive the vehicle, as it was stinks inside. The supervisor, checked it, agreed with me and asked if I would drive it to the valeting place. I refused, as it was pushing me to vomit. So the boss told me to wait, and after some time gave me a lift to truck hire company. We rented another truck and I did my job about 2 hours later. It was only dayshift, but I earned 2 extra hours of overtime :wink:

Respect yourself and do not work in some dirty crappy lorries!

ive been borderline when its came to some of the heaps ive driven. i wasnt overnighting in them though so i just got on with it,

but my god were they filthy.
luckily now i get to drive some decent motors that get looked after

brand new dafs, i had a volvo that looked as good as new inside and was a dream to drive

though i overnighted in a scanny that wasnt exactly clean, and i got a rubbish wage for it, most of my wage was made up of overnight fees and aprking. how rubbish.

im sure if i walked away from a job because the motor was filthy my agency would understand because i always tell them if ive driven a heap so it has to be really bad if i wont go near it but i would do it if it was that bad

keano1:
Was wondering if anyone had turned up for a job & refused to use the cab as it was so minging etc.

I woulā€™nt even drive it out of the depot Keano let alone want to sleep in it :angry: can you imagine what their home is like if anyone leaves a cab in that state :unamused:
I remember a few years ago getting in to a 12 month old MAN Tga - It was that filthy inside you could literally see the Fleas jumping around the cab :angry: - and - alongside the drivers seat ,the regular driver (who had gone on holiday) had spilt a carton of Milk and had left it to fester in the slot where the folder should be :unamused: I drove the said heap up to the offices and got all of the managers out to have a look and said to them ā€˜Would you want to do a days work in this?ā€™
I ended up spending nearly all day cleaning it out before I would use it - and they paid me :wink:

I once refused to do a day job for a client in a 2 year old Stralis,because it was honking inside,and I still maintain my priciples today.Why should I sleep/work in someone elseā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ?

However,in a change for me,Iā€™m doing a night out tomorrow night,in a 2 month old Volvo FE 6 wheeler rigid.I checked it today before I came home,and itā€™s naturally gleaming inside,and thatā€™s the way itā€™ll return.

Ken.

we only run a small fleet of about 20/25 motors now, yet the way some of our drivers keep their motors is shocking.

i like to keep a half tidy motor inside, which costs me money in cleaning tackle that you dont get back off the company, but if i fancy a week on holiday you can guarantee thereā€™ll be a smelly ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  in my motor for a week thats smoking (i dont and cant stand it, especially when its cost me god knows what to get the stains off my roof lining!!!), left old socks and crap all over, coffee stains all over the centre and cant even be arsed to take it through the wash on a friday.

doesnā€™t do much for my enthusiasmā€¦

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  the lot of ya just drive it what are ya men or miceā– ā– ?

bugcos:
[zb] ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  the lot of ya just drive it what are ya men or miceā– ā– ?

we`d rather not catch something tbh.

Sorry Bugcos,iā€™ve got standardā€™s and i donā€™t change for no one!!

I work Sun-Thurs and on retuning back to my truck on Sun Morning found out it had been used on Fri night.
One of our casual driverā€™s had used it and left it in a crap state,Heā€™d been on my bed and used my quilt and sheet and then left the moveable parts of the bed scrunched up behind the seatā€™s instead of putting them away properly,diesel all down the side skirtā€™s,the air suspension walkabout control wrapped around the curtains so the curtainā€™s are now dirty after iā€™d took them out and washed them only a fortnight before and the killer blow for me,was that the git had smoked in it,i never found this out until i got to Tesco Livingston on Sunday night and was cleaning it out as the drivers door pocket was full of ā– ā– ā–  endā€™s.

Reported to my Manager and he wasnā€™t to impressed to say the least as he is trying his damdest to look after Tramperā€™s so heā€™s sorted it out.

Iā€™m just wondering what kind of person does this to a clean vehicle,do people get some kind of ā€œkickā€ from doing it.

keano1:
Anyone ever walked away due to hygiene issues?

Not ā€˜walked awayā€™ as such, but when I was doing a bit on the agency I got sent into Browns of Tunstall for an (agreed) night-out job. Found the wagon, which was a 9-year old ERF. Returned to the office and told them there was no way I was kipping in that. Mess and dirt everywhere, plus the unmistakeable stench of it having last been allocated to a driver who didnā€™t bother to shower very often. After the usual grunting and harrumphing I ended up doing a day run for them. Never got sent back there againā€¦

lemonmouth:
ā€¦had spilt a carton of Milk and had left it to fester in the slot where the folder should be

Oh yes, ive seen the ā€˜spilled-a-bottle-of-milk-but-ā– ā– ā– ā– -it-someone-else-will-clean-it-upā€™ thing before. Just like the spilled coffee which is left as is, smoking in someone elses wagon, etc etc. Absolute cast-iron tossers the lot of em. Unfortunately as with many things your average truck driver regards stuff like this as totally acceptable.

About 10yrs ago , I was sent to a firm in Ashton U lyne, and was given a rigid scania to go to Bristol with. Their driver was on holiday, So I opened the door and climbed in, and it stank of dog sweat. He had also took the radio facia with him. I Told them there was no way I was driving that 180miles each way. with that smell, and no radio. They said he takes his dog everywhere with him, including nights out. They were good about it,and found me another Vehicle, and kept me local for the day. Ive no idea if someone else did the job on that vehicle.

Recently my own truck was in for MOT, and I was ā€˜givenā€™ another one of ours for the duration as the driver was on holiday.
As Iā€™d already moved this truck earlier in the day, I knew what state it was in, and told him straight, no way would I sleep in that :exclamation: :exclamation:
So he gave me another, which was just as bad, so guess who spent the week on day work. Ok so I lost my night out money, but standards are standards.

It can work both ways though.

Some trucks I have driven smell like a pox doctors clerk and the dash and steering wheel is as greasy as a chip with polish and magic trees everywhere.

Some are so bad they take your breath away and make your eyes sting

orys:

ROG:

Forget. They should negotiate with some agency for cleaners, not with me. I wonā€™t clean someoneā€™s rubbish (and who knows what else).

I once refused to drive the vehicle, as it was stinks inside. The supervisor, checked it, agreed with me and asked if I would drive it to the valeting place. I refused, as it was pushing me to vomit. So the boss told me to wait, and after some time gave me a lift to truck hire company. We rented another truck and I did my job about 2 hours later. It was only dayshift, but I earned 2 extra hours of overtime :wink:

Respect yourself and do not work in some dirty crappy lorries!

my thoughts exactly orys, i just started a new job and got an 07 plated unit , the boss asked me if cab was clean enough (which it was ) to meet my standards and if not she would get it valeted over the weekend and did not expect me to sleep in it until it was done.
that impressed me no end

Used to work for one of the well known Bakeries. Strict hygiene rules on-site, including hairnets in designated areas. Then youā€™d go out to your allocated wagon and find a 3 course meal rotting away in the passenger foot well. :imp: Enough is enough I thought, so I filled 2 carrier bags with all the crap from the cab and took it to the transport managers office and asked him to keep it next to his desk until he finished that evening. You would think food companies would be more stringent, but thereā€™s a few shockers out there !!!

I always try to keep mine as tidy as possible even down to putting my boots in a box under the bunk to keep the smell at bay, even though its too small to sleep in i try to make the most of it

had a sprinter van once, it was awful, wen and told the manage he gave me a bin liner, so after filling that one up, he was supprised when i need a second and then a third, there was (zb) everywhere, rotting moldy sarnies, i only spent a few hours in it but the windows were open the whole time.

about 9 months ago i worked for a company for a week and had to do one night out, i drove a minging scania, it was only about 1 year old, had to do a night out in it, i was almost throwing up in it, the stench of cig smoke was over powering, (was a smoker and dont mind it too much now, but that was something else). i put my hands on the steering wheel and had to pull then off it. it was almost impossible to see through the windscreen, and the dash was a different story. after the days work i spent hours cleaning it before having to sleep in it. but the best is yet to come, got back to the yard late the following day and to get my bag i had to step on the newly cleaned engine lump. next morning i turned up and the transport manager said that the regular driver had come to get something and had complained about mud all over the cab - just goes to show you i spent hours cleaning it and got a telling off for one foot print.

Quinny:
I once refused to do a day job for a client in a 2 year old Stralis,because it was honking inside,and I still maintain my priciples today.Why should I sleep/work in someone elseā€™s [zb]?

However,in a change for me,Iā€™m doing a night out tomorrow night,in a 2 month old Volvo FE 6 wheeler rigid.I checked it today before I came home,and itā€™s naturally gleaming inside,and thatā€™s the way itā€™ll return.

Ken.

UPS Dewsbury about 3 three xmases ago the vehicle was a hire wagon and the previous driver must have been an animal cos it was minging told them in the office they came out to lookā€¦I asked the desk jockey if he would sleep in it for a week ā€¦No way he says and found me a clean oneā€¦no need to speak to agency jpb done :laughing:

By the way if you donā€™t have standards then you donā€™t have anything :wink: