Fifth wheel safety clip

Return to work after holiday do vehicle checks and fifth wheel locked in but safety chain dangling down. Spoke to driver who’s had my truck and he’ laughed and said been like that since Thursday because he couldn’t see where it went. Ànother driver told me to report him but i ain’t a grass and don’t want to see him out of a job what would you do. ■■■■■■ me off due to the safety aspect.

Tell him to unhook the trailer and look where its to go for future reference! Make sure he knows how severe it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been off work this past week. I’ll go in tomorrow and do my bits and bobs and if everything is good for me I’m away.

Whatever happened last week/yesterday/whatever is nothing to do with me because I can’t influence it or change it. You’ve done your bit by checking.

If your colleague was such a hero why didn’t he report him rather than suggesting you do?

I would have fitted the clip in place, at the same time showing the other driver where it went.

I used to share a truck with a guy who never bothered with the dog clip, just like he never bothered with cleaning it or refuelling it or reporting any defects.

In the case of the dog clip, it’s his neck on the line if he is caught and not yours. All I would do in the above situation was ensure that the clip was in place before I went anywhere - and also to make sure that I put just enough fuel in it to get me there and back. As you say, reporting him is not your job.

seanvilla:
Return to work after holiday do vehicle checks and fifth wheel locked in but safety chain dangling down. Spoke to driver who’s had my truck and he’ laughed and said been like that since Thursday because he couldn’t see where it went. Ànother driver told me to report him but i ain’t a grass and don’t want to see him out of a job what would you do. ■■■■■■ me off due to the safety aspect.

■■■■■■ off ■■ :open_mouth:
Why are you even mildly bothered mate? :unamused:
It aint your problem, …So as long as you put the dogclip in when you are on the truck, that is all you need to care about.

Oh yeh, glad to hear you aint a grass, but be sure to tell the ‘‘other driver’’ from me (who advised you to bubble this lad) that he’s a complete Arse Wipe btw. :unamused:

robroy:
[quote=“seanvilla”

Oh yeh, glad to hear you aint a grass, but be sure to tell the ‘‘other driver’’ from me (who advised you to bubble this lad) that he’s a complete Arse Wipe btw. :unamused:
[/quote]
Aye and i second those sentiments.

Mine has an automatic, (spring loaded) safety clip that swings down when the handle goes back in. It also has the manual dog clip. I often don’t bother fitting it. Should I?

Have a look [emoji102] around when you feeling self righteous, you will find the Dutch, Germans, French, Belgians, Italians etc etc. don’t use safety clips or C Type couplings. It’s a British thing and if the trailer is coupled up, the safety clip doesn’t hold anything except the small chain.

Nor would I grass on him but I’d educate him and if it happened again then I’d be tempted to raise the issue as it’s through sheer laziness then not lack of knowledge.

Instant £1k fine if caught without isn’t it?

Old John:
Mine has an automatic, (spring loaded) safety clip that swings down when the handle goes back in. It also has the manual dog clip. I often don’t bother fitting it. Should I?

Yes.

Old John:

No. They’ve just added it for decoration…

Old John:

To keep the pedants happy yes, i have the same sort as you and the clip is not needed, but it’s a world of box tickers out there and the OP’s colleague and thousands of others like him itching to go tell teacher for a pat on the head :unamused:

I’d be more inclined to slip a padlock in, in place of the clip if the lorry was my own, make life a bit more difficult for any bollockless weirdos who might find pulling a fifth wheel open amusing.

My truck doesn’t need one.
That was until some observant oik in the Daf workshop decided it’s missing so I’ll fit one.
Wire cutters sorted that issue out…
To the OP as long as you attach who cares…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ve driven trucks which only have the spring loaded clip and not a dog clip.

Wheel Nut:
Have a look [emoji102] around when you feeling self righteous, you will find the Dutch, Germans, French, Belgians, Italians etc etc. don’t use safety clips or C Type couplings. It’s a British thing .

Or trailer parking brakes, it kinda rubbed off on me dropping trailers when I was working for the Foreigners :blush:
One bonus though working for them…,Unlike the Brits, there were no a/holes there to grass you up or H&S Nazis. :unamused:
I had to re.educate myself when back on Brit firms, …on that, and many other things. :blush: :smiley:

Harry Monk:
I’ve driven trucks which only have the spring loaded clip and not a dog clip.

Me too

Harry Monk:
I would have fitted the clip in place, at the same time showing the other driver where it went.

Exactly Harry!

Juddian:

Old John:

To keep the pedants happy yes, i have the same sort as you and the clip is not needed, but it’s a world of box tickers out there and the OP’s colleague and thousands of others like him itching to go tell teacher for a pat on the head :unamused:

I’d be more inclined to slip a padlock in, in place of the clip if the lorry was my own, make life a bit more difficult for any bollockless weirdos who might find pulling a fifth wheel open amusing.

+1 Juddian 100% But don’t forget the WD40 regularly sprayed on it, just in case you have to remove it, lol

I always carry a spare in case some chopper breaks it off.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Since I heard that the latest trick is to pull pins when parked up (there was even a ‘‘driver’’ on here who admitted to either doing it or advocating for somebody else to do it :open_mouth: , because a guy was parked on the pumps ffs…remember?).I have become a bit ocd checking it all the time.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this all started after an episode of Stobby’s b/s tv programme showed the public how to drop an artic trailer :unamused: .

I’m also prone to over checking I’ve left my handbrake on after watching the vid of that old sod chasing after his runaway truck on the slip road, while carrying his plank of wood. :laughing: :laughing: