Fifth wheel safety clip

robroy:

seanvilla:
Return to work after holiday do vehicle checks and fifth wheel locked in but safety chain dangling down. Spoke to driver who’s had my truck and he’ laughed and said been like that since Thursday because he couldn’t see where it went. Ànother driver told me to report him but i ain’t a grass and don’t want to see him out of a job what would you do. ■■■■■■ me off due to the safety aspect.

■■■■■■ off ■■ :open_mouth:
Why are you even mildly bothered mate? :unamused:
It aint your problem, …So as long as you put the dogclip in when you are on the truck, that is all you need to care about.

Oh yeh, glad to hear you aint a grass, but be sure to tell the ‘‘other driver’’ from me (who advised you to bubble this lad) that he’s a complete Arse Wipe btw. :unamused:

+1

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
I always carry a spare in case some chopper breaks it off.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Yup I’ve got a spare in my bag, had it for years now, the chain snapped half way along and the fitter fitted a new one with a wire cable, I kept the old one with me in my bag ever since.

robroy:
Since I heard that the latest trick is to pull pins when parked up (there was even a ‘‘driver’’ on here who admitted to either doing it or advocating for somebody else to do it :open_mouth: , because a guy was parked on the pumps ffs…remember?).I have become a bit ocd checking it all the time.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this all started after an episode of Stobby’s b/s tv programme showed the public how to drop an artic trailer :unamused: .

I’m also prone to over checking I’ve left my handbrake on after watching the vid of that old sod chasing after his runaway truck on the slip road, while carrying his plank of wood. :laughing: :laughing:

If I ever leave my truck unattended especially if I’ve gone into the services for a ■■■■■ I always shine the torch under and check the release handle and clip when I return.

Reef:

P Stoff:
I always carry a spare in case some chopper breaks it off.

Yup I’ve got a spare in my bag, had it for years now, the chain snapped half way along and the fitter fitted a new one with a wire cable, I kept the old one with me in my bag ever since.

robroy:
Since I heard that the latest trick is to pull pins when parked up (there was even a ‘‘driver’’ on here who admitted to either doing it or advocating for somebody else to do it :open_mouth: , because a guy was parked on the pumps ffs…remember?).I have become a bit ocd checking it all the time.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that this all started after an episode of Stobby’s b/s tv programme showed the public how to drop an artic trailer :unamused: .

I’m also prone to over checking I’ve left my handbrake on after watching the vid of that old sod chasing after his runaway truck on the slip road, while carrying his plank of wood. [emoji38] [emoji38]

If I ever leave my truck unattended especially if I’ve gone into the services for a ■■■■■ I always shine the torch under and check the release handle and clip when I return.

Always, whenever I leave the truck

Harry Monk:
I would have fitted the clip in place, at the same time showing the other driver where it went.

^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^.
Just help the guy, instead of trying to score points, he might have been use to an auto clip, and never seen a proper clip, help advise, show if that fails then give up.

Suppose me getting ■■■■■■ off was a bit childish. but i just think if I can do it right why can’t others.being a grass gets you no where and solves nothing. Just got to let it go and forget about it. Thanks for all responses and what ever the weather this week let’s all be safe and have a good week

Harry Monk:
I would have fitted the clip in place, at the same time showing the other driver where it went.

Same

seanvilla:
i just think if I can do it right why can’t others.

Know what you mean mate, but it doesn’t work that way in this job.
Best just to concentrate on doing the job right yourself, let others do the same, and for those that don’t/can’t ?..■■■■ em :bulb:
Don’t know if you’re new to the job, but you’ll have a lot more serious issues to deal with than some twonk who does not fit his dogclip. :bulb:

One thing I do not like about the fith wheel here is no security clip. I must say however that my brand new truck now has a European style fith wheel , just like a ‘York’ model would have, with jaws that lock firmly around the kingpin. Every truck I have had up to now in the US has had a very poor system involving a steel rod that clasps the kingpin and if there is snow inside it will come open and drop the trailer. I wish we had the security tag.

Juddian:

Old John:
Mine has an automatic, (spring loaded) safety clip that swings down when the handle goes back in. It also has the manual dog clip. I often don’t bother fitting it. Should I?

To keep the pedants happy yes, i have the same sort as you and the clip is not needed, but it’s a world of box tickers out there and the OP’s colleague and thousands of others like him itching to go tell teacher for a pat on the head :unamused:

Ok, thanks. I suppose I should use it really. It does make it that bit more difficult to tamper with. We get stopped so seldom up here that I’ve never had grief about it.

Other units I’ve had which didn’t have the automatic device, I went to the chandlers in the village and bought a stainless steel clip, then got them to make up a thin stainless wire with an eye in each end, two small shackles for the ends and off you go. Lasts the life of the truck , and, most importantly of all, looks as though one gives a f@@k.

I’d be more inclined to slip a padlock in, in place of the clip if the lorry was my own, make life a bit more difficult for any bollockless weirdos who might find pulling a fifth wheel open amusing.

robroy:

Knkw what exactly the same for me. I always used to look after I’d left the lorry anyway but sometimes I’d forget to check. Since thst posting on here not once have I forgot.

As long as you put the clip in place and your happy the motors safe to be moved,what somebody else does is no concern of yours.

lolipop:
As long as you put the clip in place and your happy the motors safe to be moved,what somebody else does is no concern of yours.

Fitting the dog clip is ingrained in me as the first thing I do when hitching up, and the last part of the sequence when unhitching. I cringe when I see a driver jump out of the cab to unhitch, and the first thing he does is pull the pin. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I seem to remember it was part of the HGV test to do it correctly? Even with an autolock I still fit a clip, as visually checking it can look correctly locked, but if the clip won’t fit the hole you know you need to recheck the coupling. Regards Kev.

The dog clip is a very simple “is the fifth wheel locked” double check. The problem with drivers not using it is that at some point one of them will drop a trailer on its knees, and the pristine hiviz and clipboard brigade will be all over it like a tramp on chips, introducing piles of BS to stop it happening again.

Look at Wincanton’s PROJECT BLACK posters, stickers, magnetic door stickers and reminder cards; a great example of what happens when someone dropped a trailer on its knees in sight of management.

Thats what would ■■■■ me off about someone not taking the couple of seconds to put the clip in.

I always put it in but it does ■■■■ me off when you get covered in ■■■■■ doing it on some trailers. Normally fridges are worst culprits

Just put the clip in for christ sake, talk about making a drama out of a crisis.

tommie1shunt:
Just put the clip in for christ sake, talk about making a drama out of a crisis.

^^ this.

slowlane:
The dog clip is a very simple “is the fifth wheel locked” double check. The problem with drivers not using it is that at some point one of them will drop a trailer on its knees, and the pristine hiviz and clipboard brigade will be all over it like a tramp on chips, introducing piles of BS to stop it happening again.

Look at Wincanton’s PROJECT BLACK posters, stickers, magnetic door stickers and reminder cards; a great example of what happens when someone dropped a trailer on its knees in sight of management.

Thats what would ■■■■ me off about someone not taking the couple of seconds to put the clip in.

What ■■■■■■ me off more is that it’s got to the stage where stickers are put on trucks here there and every bloody where reminding ‘‘drivers’’ of things that should be second nature to them :bulb: … like applying brakes, checking trailer heights, and this sort of stuff.
What’s the next sign going to be ‘‘Breathe in, breathe out’’ ?
■■■■ ■■■■ poor pathetic. :unamused:

If the fifth wheel is worn, the trailer can fall off even with the safety clip in. The only safe way of checking is a tug test and shining a torch on the locking bar within the jaw.

I witnessed a trailer falling off a unit in Hilton Derbyshire. The driver had picked it up in Poole Dorset that morning, the safety clip was in the bar appeared to be locked but the plastic PTFE Horseshoe had broken.

It takes 2 minutes to change one but they are often overlooked. I still have one somewhere with a set of palm coupling seals.