Fifth wheel question

Are you able to replace the “u shape” wear piece that is on the fifth wheel where the kingpin fits into?
I noticed that it is wearing abit and also there is a bit of wear on the trailer kingpin too.
It is the bolt in type so I take it if I can put a new “u-shape piece” in the FW I can just unbolt the kingpin and turn it around to get the “good end” where it hasn’t wore at all facing the front of the trailer,or would it be better to just replace the kingpin too?

On the GF plate there are just some allen screws holding the nylon bush in place. 3 minute job to replace.

some different makes & older types required the jaws to be replaced.

The only place I have seen trailer pins replaced as routine is in Germany

ive always had to purchase a complete 5th wheel overhaul kit fella…what make of 5th wheel is it and i will check with my supplier tomorrow for you and see if the said item can be purchased individually…

cant remember the exact figure but test wise you are allowed 1/2 inch of play on 5th wheel to pin coupling …scary i know!

Yes you can replace the “horseshoe” part of the 5th wheel, be careful though as they are held in with allen screws which tend to round off if not careful, best to use a impact screwdriver to shock the bolts losse

You can also relace the kingpin, and i would not recommend just turning it around, If you have wear there is an adjuster on the 5th wheel, to take some of the play out,

when you adjust it you are changing how far the wedge at the back of the jaw comes across before hitting the stop, you can find the adjust either on the side of the 5th wheel plate, or it is just underneath by the foot of the 5th wheel, (opposide side to the handle) Wind it out to increase the grip and in to loosen the grip, this might solve you problems without spending any money

AH:
ive always had to purchase a complete 5th wheel overhaul kit fella…what make of 5th wheel is it and i will check with my supplier tomorrow for you and see if the said item can be purchased individually…

cant remember the exact figure but test wise you are allowed 1/2 inch of play on 5th wheel to pin coupling …scary i know!

Its a Jost fifth wheel.

try www.jost.co.uk

For the cost of a new pin, I’d replace it rather than turn it. If it were me.

New trailer pin at £50 coming from Kel-berg and I’ll get the u-shape piece on the FW replaced under the Renault warranty over the Easter holidays as the truck is booked in for its free serivce anyway, :smiley: :wink:
thanks guy’s. :sunglasses:

About the kingpin you can find here ( link removed) , I didn’t have time to writ about the fifth wheel coupling yet. My advice is always replace all, because if the kingpin has wear trace on then the fifth wheel coupling has also. It can create problems with steering.

New trailer pin at £50 coming from Kel-berg

:open_mouth: I got one from a parts place in Peterborough for £25. . Cant remember the name now but it was in Fengate. . :confused: