FH12 460 any advice?

I’m going to see a chap on sunday with a view to buying one of his motors.

The vehicle in question is as follows:

Volvo FH12 460 GTXL 6x2
55 reg
3.9mtr w/b
manual box
tipping gear.

He’s had it from about 18 months old and run it on agricultural work, 50/50 bulkers & tautliners.
It’s been maintained by the local Volvo dealer and as far as I’m aware the only major issue was a replacement clutch at about 24 months old.

Do any of you run or have experience of them or have any useful tips or info?

Cheers.

What work are you wanting it for? If you’re planning on using the tipping gear bear in mind that a FH GTXL isn’t going to be the lightest thing on wheels, and in that line of work payload is king.

Paul

What`s the mileage on it Goaty ■■?

I`d prefer the “I” shift myself, they are very hard to break engine wise, depends on the service history, its not unusual for main dealers to cut corners on R+M :open_mouth:

But, if its the right price, the jobs a good`n :laughing:

Are you getting rid of your Iveco goaty■■? :smiley:

repton:
What work are you wanting it for? If you’re planning on using the tipping gear bear in mind that a FH GTXL isn’t going to be the lightest thing on wheels, and in that line of work payload is king.

Paul

At the moment my work is about 90% boxes, 10% tilts/tauts/fridges.
I have the chance of some tanker work towards march for a couple of months moving liquid fertilizer to farms for spraying.
Tipper wise the Popemobile doesn’t have tipping gear so at present, Nil.

The fella I hope to buy the Volvo from does get busy with the bulkers and at times I’m told my services may be in demand. :grimacing:

In the main though I’ll carry on as I am and see what comes my way.

Stanley Mitchell:
What`s the mileage on it Goaty ■■?

I`d prefer the “I” shift myself, they are very hard to break engine wise, depends on the service history, its not unusual for main dealers to cut corners on R+M :open_mouth:

But, if its the right price, the jobs a good`n :laughing:

IIRC about 550k and the starting price is £15k, which I feel is pretty good, as long as it looks ok when we get it on the ramp and have a good look ! :sunglasses:

removalboy:
Are you getting rid of your Iveco goaty■■? :smiley:

Probably, although it’s not set in stone ! :wink:

did you phone him?

Not yet. I’ll get Sunday outta the way first. If I get what I’m looking for then I’ll be straight on the blower ! :wink:

£15k
55 plate
With the potential of some work, aswell.

Sounds good, lets hope she looks good :smiley:

I’ve just had word from the driver and he reckons the clutch feels like it’s on the way out.

Does anyone know what a main dealer would charge for a new one ?

I’ll ring Volvo in the morning but I’m curious now. Any Ideas ?

volvo charged me £750 +vat for a clutch on my old version 1,dunno wot ver2 will cost,ask them if they do a fitted price deal.also jack up front and mid axles and check wheel bearings for play,they can be prone for wear,has it had an air dryer,their about £450,check for play in the a-frame bush on top of the diff,check the tell tale on the water pump,any coolant coming out and she,ll be due a new one(i,ve had 2)manual gear box shift-cables can stretch and shift becomes a bugger,def recommend an i-shift,altho that lot sounds bad their a good tool,mines is a 55reg 500 i-shift with 850 000k and she,s never let me down,return constant 8.3mpg on general haulage,hopes this helps

i drive a 55 plate 460 xl manual, in my opinion it pulls like a train, the gearbox seems hard work thouh, nowhere as smooth and easy as a Scania. im subbing for Bartrums at the moment and do a lot of heavy work(normally 25tons plus) and its doing 8.2 average. P.S take the top bunk out, it trebles (or seems it!) the size of the interior.

Davyboy:
volvo charged me £750 +vat for a clutch on my old version 1,dunno wot ver2 will cost,ask them if they do a fitted price deal.also jack up front and mid axles and check wheel bearings for play,they can be prone for wear,has it had an air dryer,their about £450,check for play in the a-frame bush on top of the diff,check the tell tale on the water pump,any coolant coming out and she,ll be due a new one(i,ve had 2)manual gear box shift-cables can stretch and shift becomes a bugger,def recommend an i-shift,altho that lot sounds bad their a good tool,mines is a 55reg 500 i-shift with 850 000k and she,s never let me down,return constant 8.3mpg on general haulage,hopes this helps

Thanks for the info Davy, much appreciated. :sunglasses:

kindle530:
i drive a 55 plate 460 xl manual, in my opinion it pulls like a train, the gearbox seems hard work thouh, nowhere as smooth and easy as a Scania. im subbing for Bartrums at the moment and do a lot of heavy work(normally 25tons plus) and its doing 8.2 average. P.S take the top bunk out, it trebles (or seems it!) the size of the interior.

Hello Kindle, I’ve seen you about from time to time but always seems to be at the last minute, maybe bump into you at “Crowfield” this year !
I’ve driven a few XL’s in the past and I agree with you about the cab space compared to it’s peer’s.

That aside though, I’m hoping this motor is going to come off as me and the Popemobile aren’t getting on that well anymore. :laughing:

another wee tip,with a manual,ALWAY,ALWAYS,ALWAYS pull away in 1st gear,thats probly why that motor might need a new clutch,that means empty or loaded!

Davyboy:
another wee tip,with a manual,ALWAY,ALWAYS,ALWAYS pull away in 1st gear,thats probly why that motor might need a new clutch,that means empty or loaded!

I fully agree 1st then 3rd gear = no more clutch problems

Goaty:
I’ve just had word from the driver and he reckons the clutch feels like it’s on the way out.

would that be the second clutch in how many months ? doesnt sound good that

£15K? sound a little cheap to me, would have had it around closer to £20k, is £15k the goin prices these days ?

I had both a manual and an I shift FH12 before my last FH13. The manual box was terrible, very hard to change at times and reverse would always crunch unless I flicked over to high range and back to low again. As earlier stated, they will eat clutches if you don’t pull away in 1st low. As for the I shift, the ones on the FH12 have a delay when you press the throtle, but they eradicated that on the FH13’s. My 13 was a far superior motor and knocked back over 8mpg round town and nearly ten on a run. If you can stretch a few more grand I’d go for a 55 or 06 reg FH13. A much better motor.

routier:

Goaty:

would that be the second clutch in how many months ? doesnt sound good that

£15K? sound a little cheap to me, would have had it around closer to £20k, is £15k the goin prices these days ?

The driver of the FH, I’m told, is usually a farm hand out of the beet season and has minimal driving experience, so without wishing to berate the bloke I do wonder if the pulling away in 1st sticker has been ignored :question:

Anyway I’m off to Duelling Banjoes country after lunch for a test drive and hopefully sort out a deal. :sunglasses:

I’ll keep you posted.

how did ye get on ?

Took it for a spin with an x-RCT mate of mine on Sunday, pulling a bulker fully freighted with beet.

It pulls like a ■■■■■■■ train !

Anyway, the “Vendor” has allowed me to take it away for the week to put through my chosen independent workshop for a proper inspection.
This was done on monday. They’re putting together a quote for an R+M &/or contract maintainance agreement at the minute.

In the meantime the motor has been taken to the Volvo dealer in Ipswich for the same treatment.
It’ll be interesting to see what they find as they’ve looked after it since the “Vendor” first bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

Watch this space.

this thread is useless without pics :wink: