ferry movement

Could someone please clear up a problem i am experiencing every week.

My day starts at 1000hrs on Monday morning. I do local work while my trailer is being loaded for Dublin. At 1700hrs I leave my base in the midlands and get to Liverpool docks at 2145hrs and put tacho onto ferry mode.
I get off the ferry at 0530hrs, do my deliveries and drive to belfast were I reload and get onto Belfast docks at 1730hrs and again put it on ferry mode.
When the boat is late I can be getting on the boat after my 15 hrs spread over.
The question is should I have gotton on the boat or should I have stayed on the dock.

If you have got to the port within the 13 hour duty time to get 11hours off, if the ferry is late ,and you going in to a 15 hour duty, the daily rest started when you got to the port.
If going in to a 15 hour duty before arriving to board the ferry, you can’t get on the ferry and have to take a daily rest period not on the ferry.

Stayed on the dock.

Couple of things,
The ferry mode button should only be used when you move your vehicle from parking in the dock to moving onto the boat.

The procedure should be; arrive in docks and park up, finish your shift and go to rest on the tacho. When called forward to embark press ferry mode, drive onto boat and switch tacho back to rest.

At the end of the crossing when it’s time to disembark then as you haven’t had a full 11hour rest by that time you will need to do the same again.
Press ferry mode and drive off the boat and head for the parking area, once there and parked put tacho back on rest and finish your 11 hour rest, which in the case of finishing the night before at 21:45 will be 08:45. There are differing opinions as to whether or not you need to add the total time spent moving on ferry mode to the 11hour reat period, personally I always do.

The important thing to remember is that you can only interrupt a standard daily rest period to get on a ferry/train, you cannot do this if your daily shift has exceeded 13hours and you go into a reduced daily rest period.

In your example of starting at 10:00 and arriving in the docks at 21:45 then this will be fine.
But in your example you cannot leave the docks to do your deliveries until 08:45 earliest as you have to complete 11 hours rest.

trucking-trevor60:

My day starts at 1000hrs on Monday morning. I do local work while my trailer is being loaded for Dublin. At 1700hrs I leave my base in the midlands and get to Liverpool docks at 2145hrs and put tacho onto ferry mode.
I get off the ferry at 0530hrs, do my deliveries and drive to belfast were I reload and get onto Belfast docks at 1730hrs and again put it on ferry mode.
The question is should I have gotton on the boat or should I have stayed on the dock.

Have you used up all your reduced rests for those weeks??
The Birkenhead boat to Belfast will usually have you parked for 9hrs on boat of you get on it early enough.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

How many times have you done (ref the times) that using ferry mode??
You have a fair few reduced rest infringements on your digi cards if doing that over a number of weeks.

Coming off the boat in Belfast you should have driven over road to Westbank Garage and parked up til 0845 adding on your “shunt” mins for getting on/off the boat.

Wheres tachograph?

Should the ferry/train mode not be used when your actually on the boat/train. Not for loading unloading.

As soon as you start to drive the tacho automatically switches ferry mode of.

Concretejim:
Wheres tachograph?

Should the ferry/train mode not be used when your actually on the boat/train. Not for loading unloading.

As soon as you start to drive the tacho automatically switches ferry mode of.

No your using the ferry mode wrongly with a digi anyway.
It records a Mark on your card and if you do a print out you’ll see the ferry mode symbol right beside the Mark at the time you pressed button to show why your interrupting your 11hr daily rest for the TWO movements on/off boat.

you can interupt your daily rest to get on and get off a boat . The total driving time ( and other work ) must not exceed 1 hour ie
5 min to drive onto the ferry and park
5 mins to drive off
5 mins other work (dropping trailer )
you have a maximum of 45 minutes left to find safe parking .
The time you have spent driving and for other work (say 30 minutes ) must be added to you break . So for example if your 11 hour break started at 12:00 you cannot work before 23:30

trucking-trevor60:

If your on a 9 hour break you cant leave Dublin before 06:45 plus what ever time it takes you to drive on and off the boat (say 5 mins each side for loading and unloading means you shouldn’t be leaving Dublin before 06:55.

If your on an 11 hour break you shouldn’t be leaving Dublin before 08:45 plus your 10 mins would mean you can’t leave before 08:55.

You can take a reduced rest when using a ferry movement .VOSA /DVSA have checked my card numerous times and found no problems and I have plenty of ferry movements and reduced breaks .

beefy4605:

trucking-trevor60:
You can take a reduced rest when using a ferry movement .VOSA /DVSA have checked my card numerous times and found no problems and I have plenty of ferry movements and reduced breaks .

Your on a wind up :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Where does it say in regs using ferry mode that you can do so and have a reduced daily rest :question:
Always been told its min 11hrs plus your shunt times :exclamation: :exclamation:

Think you’ve had DVSA men that don’t know their arse from their elbows ref the driving regs :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

As Big Truck has said you cannot legally interrupt a reduced daily rest period, legally you can only interrupt a regular daily rest period of at-least 11 hours.

For confirmation of this see (EC) 561/2006 Guidance Note 6.

in line with Article 9(1) a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours taken
on a ferry or a train (if a driver has access to a bunk or a couchette) may be interrupted twice
as a maximum, by other activities (such as embarking or disembarking from the ferry boat or
train).

trucking-trevor60:

I get off the ferry at 0530hrs, do my deliveries and drive to belfast

When you get off the ferry you need to park up to complete a rest period of 11 hours plus the interruption time, so if you start your daily rest period at 21:45 and spend say 10 minutes boarding the ferry and 10 minutes off, you should then park up until 09:05 (11 hours rest plus 20 minutes vehicle movements).
(This is assuming you don’t have a split daily rest period (3 hours rest during the shift))

trucking-trevor60:
I reload and get onto Belfast docks at 1730hrs and again put it on ferry mode.

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t board the ferry more than 15 hours from the start of the shift as long as you can complete a regular 11 hour daily rest period within 24 hours from the start of your shift.
When interrupting a daily rest period for ferry movement both the regular daily rest period and the interruptions must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.

The problem could be that you’re talking about a 15 hour spread-over which suggest that you’re interrupting a reduced daily rest period, and as we’ve said you cannot legally do that.

tachograph:

trucking-trevor60:

When you get off the ferry you need to park up to complete a rest period of 11 hours plus the interruption time, so if you start your daily rest period at 21:45 and spend say 10 minutes boarding the ferry and 10 minutes off, you should then park up until 09:05 (11 hours rest plus 20 minutes vehicle movements).
(This is assuming you don’t have a split daily rest period (3 hours rest during the shift))

trucking-trevor60:

There’s no reason why you shouldn’t board the ferry more than 15 hours from the start of the shift as long as you can complete a regular 11 hour daily rest period within 24 hours from the start of your shift.
When interrupting a daily rest period for ferry movement both the regular daily rest period and the interruptions must be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.

The problem could be that you’re talking about a 15 hour spread-over which suggest that you’re interrupting a reduced daily rest period, and as we’ve said you cannot legally do that.

So Tacho if you’re including the interruption, must a driver be parked up and starting a daily rest within 12 hours? Or, are you saying park up within 13 hours duty, take 11 hours (interrupted)=24 plus the interruption?

Big Truck:

beefy4605:

trucking-trevor60:

Where does it say in regs using ferry mode that you can do so and have a reduced daily rest :question:
Always been told its min 11hrs plus your shunt times :exclamation: :exclamation:

Think you’ve had DVSA men that don’t know their arse from their elbows ref the driving regs :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

You cannot reduce your break when doing a ferry movement, I have the latest head in my lorry and if you take a 3 hour break during the day then do a ferry movement it will tell you that you only need 9 hours break. I tried this on the Dublin to Holyhead got pulled at Canterbury same morning got a talking to and told that if seen again would get a fine and an 11 hour park up. Anything involving boats is 11 hours minimum.

peter s:

tachograph:

trucking-trevor60:

trucking-trevor60:

So Tacho if you’re including the interruption, must a driver be parked up and starting a daily rest within 12 hours? Or, are you saying park up within 13 hours duty, take 11 hours (interrupted)=24 plus the interruption?

You have to take 11 hours break so if you know your shunts will take 30 mins then yes you can only have a 12 and half hour spread over for that day work, break and shunts must all fall in the 24hr period, however a few minutes over will usually not cause an issue,

peter s:

The daily rest period should be completed within the period of 24 hours, so if you need to interrupt the daily rest period twice and the total interruptions amount to 30 minutes, you would need to start your daily rest period no later than 12.5 hours from the start of the shift.

mazzer:
You cannot reduce your break when doing a ferry movement, I have the latest head in my lorry and if you take a 3 hour break during the day then do a ferry movement it will tell you that you only need 9 hours break. I tried this on the Dublin to Holyhead got pulled at Canterbury same morning got a talking to and told that if seen again would get a fine and an 11 hour park up. Anything involving boats is 11 hours minimum.

If you mean they told you that you cannot interrupt a split daily rest period I suggest that next time you refer them to the EU guidance note 6 and ask why they don’t abide by it :wink:

Guidance note 6

In case of a regular daily rest taken in two periods, the first of which must be of at least 3
hours and the second of at least 9 hours (as stipulated in Article 4(g)), the number of
interruptions (maximum two) concerns the whole period of daily rest and not each part of a
regular daily rest taken in two periods.

mazzer:

Big Truck:

beefy4605:

trucking-trevor60:

You’ll always get a split rest if needed on Dublin/Holyhead boats as always longer than 3hrs on the crossing.[emoji6]

tachograph:

mazzer:

If you mean they told you that you cannot interrupt a split daily rest period I suggest that next time you refer them to the EU guidance note 6 and ask why they don’t abide by it :wink:

Guidance note 6

In case of a regular daily rest taken in two periods, the first of which must be of at least 3
hours and the second of at least 9 hours (as stipulated in Article 4(g)), the number of
interruptions (maximum two) concerns the whole period of daily rest and not each part of a
regular daily rest taken in two periods.

I don’t think you understood what I put. I had three hours on a bay while loading then drove to Dublin which took 1 1/2 hours so was not a shunt then started my break prior to getting onto the boat, on arriving in Holyhead to make the 11 hours I should have parked up for 40 minutes, however the tacho was saying that I had taken sufficient rest due to the 3 hour break earlier in the day so using the “well the tacho said I could go” excuse headed down the road. Got pulled 7 hours later and told what I had done was wrong as you cannot reduce your rest for a ferry movement, however due to passing the attitude test and there being nothing else wrong he just said what could happen but this time didn’t see the point in parking me up.
I am fully aware of taking 3 hours during the day and then taking a 9 but it cannot be used in conjunction with a boat movement

mazzer:
I am fully aware of taking 3 hours during the day and then taking a 9 but it cannot be used in conjunction with a boat movement

Yes it can. The latest DVSA guide - GV262 tells us a split daily rest can be interrupted - Here is what it says:-

Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest requirements are more flexible.
A regular daily rest period, that is one of 11 hours duration or 12 hours if split, may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off again at the end of the crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be at least 11 hours or 12 hours if split. A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.
It is also permitted to have one of the interruption periods falling in the 3 hour part of the split rest period and one interruption period falling in the 9 hour part of the split rest period or for both parts of the interruption period to fall within the 3 hour part of the split daily rest.

So it seems the DVSA are happy for the 3 hour part to be split twice or the three hour once and the 9 hour once or - just take the 3 and the 9 and don’t interrupt either and still go on the ferry. Just because a ferry is involved doesn’t mean you can’t use a split daily rest. A split daily rest is a regular rest taken in two parts - so it is a regular daily rest