ferry movement

mazzer:
I am fully aware of taking 3 hours during the day and then taking a 9 but it cannot be used in conjunction with a boat movement

According to the EU guidelines it can, as shown in the link in my previous post that you quoted (Guidance Note 6).

For those that don’t know Dublin to Holyhead is a 3 1/2 sailing so you do not get 9 hours on the boat I fully understand that if I were to catch the Birkenhead or the P&O out of Dublin then yes if I have had a 3 hour break during the day then the 9 hours on the boat would make it count as an 11 also if you get know you are going to get 9 hours on the boat then there is no need press the ferry mode button, the use of the ferry mode button is only required if you are not going to get 9 or 11 hours break on the boat uninterrupted

Tgtrucker:
Stayed on the dock.

Couple of things,
The ferry mode button should only be used when you move your vehicle from parking in the dock to moving onto the boat.

The procedure should be; arrive in docks and park up, finish your shift and go to rest on the tacho. When called forward to embark press ferry mode, drive onto boat and switch tacho back to rest.

At the end of the crossing when it’s time to disembark then as you haven’t had a full 11hour rest by that time you will need to do the same again.
Press ferry mode and drive off the boat and head for the parking area, once there and parked put tacho back on rest and finish your 11 hour rest, which in the case of finishing the night before at 21:45 will be 08:45. There are differing opinions as to whether or not you need to add the total time spent moving on ferry mode to the 11hour reat period, personally I always do.

The ferry mode is only active when the lorry is standing still, it automatically reverts to driving when you start moving. So the only good it does is show that you are on said ferry/train, when you have parked on the ferry.

milodon:

Tgtrucker:
Stayed on the dock.

Couple of things,
The ferry mode button should only be used when you move your vehicle from parking in the dock to moving onto the boat.

The procedure should be; arrive in docks and park up, finish your shift and go to rest on the tacho. When called forward to embark press ferry mode, drive onto boat and switch tacho back to rest.

At the end of the crossing when it’s time to disembark then as you haven’t had a full 11hour rest by that time you will need to do the same again.
Press ferry mode and drive off the boat and head for the parking area, once there and parked put tacho back on rest and finish your 11 hour rest, which in the case of finishing the night before at 21:45 will be 08:45. There are differing opinions as to whether or not you need to add the total time spent moving on ferry mode to the 11hour reat period, personally I always do.

The ferry mode is only active when the lorry is standing still, it automatically reverts to driving when you start moving. So the only good it does is show that you are on said ferry/train, when you have parked on the ferry.

When you press ferry mode it isn’t “active” it’s simply says the mode is “stored” and the wee “ferry symbol” is visable on the top right of your tacho screen and on your printouts at the time you pressed the button.
The 1hour shunt will not start until your move off onto boat then hit rest again when parked. Same hit ferry mode when waiting to disembark and “the shunt clock” doesn’t start again til you move off boat!!!

I arrived at Larne tonight 1700 put tacho on rest and used “ferry mode” button, Sat til 1930 and moved onto boat here now.
Approx 4mins used of 1hour shunt time and tacho back to rest mode on boat.
Then use FM button again@ Cairnryan 2200 will give me approx 56mins to find ■■■■■■■■■■■■ down the A75.
Can therefore “start card” 0500 tomorrow morn which is 11hr rest plus the 1hour “shunt” added onto daily rest break.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your time and comments. I appreciate your help. Safe driving…

Big Truck:
When you press ferry mode it isn’t “active” it’s simply says the mode is “stored” and the wee “ferry symbol” is visable on the top right of your tacho screen and on your printouts at the time you pressed the button.
The 1hour shunt will not start until your move off onto boat then hit rest again when parked. Same hit ferry mode when waiting to disembark and “the shunt clock” doesn’t start again til you move off boat!!!

I stand corrected! learn something new every day :astonished: