Ferry Mode

Ferry Mode - not again you ask? Lol

Sorry guys. :blush:

I did a search and still find conflicting advice on this topic so I thought Id ask a specific question based on my specific circumstances.

I’m getting the Belfast to Birkenhead ferry tonight. It sails at 10.30pm. Im assuming the crossing is 8 hours.

I am now on a rest period. I am 10 mins from the port so I can be on the ferry from here in less than 1 hour.
Lets say I leave here at 9.30pm and drive to the port and am on the ferry ready to go at approx 10.15 - 10.30.

What modes do I use? :confused:

TIA

EDIT. Have to be at the port for no later than 9.00pm , so could be more than 1 hour from leaving here to parked on the ferry.

steery1:

I did a search and still find conflicting advice on this topic so I thought Id ask a specific question based on my specific circumstances.

I’m getting the Belfast to Birkenhead ferry tonight. It sails at 10.30pm. Im assuming the crossing is 8 hours.

I am now on a rest period. I am 10 mins from the port so I can be on the ferry from here in less than 1 hour.
Lets say I leave here at 9.30pm and drive to the port and am on the ferry ready to go at approx 10.15 - 10.30.

TIA

EDIT. Have to be at the port for no later than 9.00pm , so could be more than 1 hour from leaving here to parked on the ferry.

I know nothing about this, but i’ll still attempt an answer. There is no such thing as “ferry mode”. If you are on a ferry with access to a couch or bunk its a rest period. Thats all i know !!

Mike-C:

steery1:

TIA

I know nothing about this, but i’ll still attempt an answer. There is no such thing as “ferry mode”. If you are on a ferry with access to a couch or bunk its a rest period. Thats all i know !!

Ferry mode mike is what you put ur tacho on whe boarding and disembarking the boat . Switch or JD will know better

If the driver has the use of a bunk etc on the ferry …

There is a ferry button on the digi that when activated puts a mark on the records
This should be used when moving onto and off of the ferry so that those movements are marked on the records as ferry movements which interrupt a daily rest period
A max of 1 hour is allowed in total for the moving on and off the ferry
The daily rest period must be at least 11 hours plus the total time of the movements

I think I said that right from memory …

Steery1, I’ve not had to use this yet but the way I understand it in answer to your question about which modes is:

Arrive at port in queue put on rest,
Time to board ferry put on ferry mode and drive on then put back onto rest.

Disembarking, Tacho still on rest ready to move off, put on ferry mode drive off and find suitable stopping place to park up, put on rest and finish rest of rest period.

wheelyb:
Steery1, I’ve not had to use this yet but the way I understand it in answer to your question about which modes is:

Disembarking, Tacho still on rest ready to move off, put on ferry mode drive off and find suitable stopping place to park up, put on rest and finish rest of rest period.

At what point do you take it off ferry mode?

Lusk:

wheelyb:

At what point do you take it off ferry mode?

if I understand the rule correctly, it stays on ferry mode until a suitable stopping place is reached in order to finish your rest. It will still record you as driving but it will have the ferry symbol next to it on the print out to state that you was infact disembarking to find a stopping place and not just driving otherwise an infringement would be logged, not enough rest.
Don’t quote me on this as this is just the way I understand it.

PS: from putting it on ferry mode whist embarking and disembarking to find a suitable stopping place shouldn’t exceed 1hr total.

Say for example you arrive at the port, park up and put it on “rest”. Then you have it on “rest” for 3 hours before you activate “ferry/train” and board the boat. Say about 20 - 30 mins tops.

Then you park up on-board and put it on “rest” again. The ferry crossing is 8 hrs.
So with the 3 hrs at the port and the 8hrs crossing, thats 11 hrs “rest”.

Do you just drive on then or is there something else you need to do before disembarking?

steery1:
Say for example you arrive at the port, park up and put it on “rest”. Then you have it on “rest” for 3 hours before you activate “ferry/train” and board the boat. Say about 20 - 30 mins tops.

Then you park up on-board and put it on “rest” again. The ferry crossing is 8 hrs.

full 11 hours rest taken but I would activate ferry/train again for disembark so that the ferry crossing can be seem from start to finish

If only say 10.5 hours total rest then park up after disembarking for 30 mins

ROG:

steery1:

full 11 hours rest taken but I would activate ferry/train again for disembark so that the ferry crossing can be seem from start to finish

If only say 10.5 hours total rest then park up after disembarking for 30 mins

So how do you “de-activate” ferry/train once you’ve disembarked, assuming that you’ve completed the full 11hrs before boarding (3hrs) and during the crossing (8hrs)?

steery1:

Do you just drive on then or is there something else you need to do before disembarking?

As you’ve had the 11 hours rest I would say carry on driving without using the ferry option unless you plan to park up again once off the ferry, There’s no point in using ferry mode if you’re going to be driving for the next few hours.

steery1:
So how do you “de-activate” ferry/train once you’ve disembarked, assuming that you’ve completed the full 11hrs before boarding (3hrs) and during the crossing (8hrs)?

Its not activate nor deactivated - all it does it put a mark in the records to show the movement during a daily rest period is there for ferry movements - so you do not get prosecuted for doing something during a rest period

Was at a CPC course today and of course the good old ferry crossing subject came up again. :laughing:

The instructor said…

Drive to port and put tacho to “rest” for eg 1.5hrs
When time to board “drive onto ferry”
When onboard “put tacho to rest and then activate ferry/train on tacho”
Ferry crossing eg 8hrs
When crossing has finished drive off
Park up somewhere and put tacho to “rest” for 1.5hrs

Not only did he say this was the correct use of the tacho for embarkation and disembarkation but he said that if, instead of 8hrs the ferry crossing lasted 9hrs because of weather or technical problems we MUST still do 30mins after disembarkation to make it up to 11hrs as we cant use the 9hrs as reduced daily rest because we activated ferry/train mode which has to be 11.

I tried to tell him I thought he was wrong but in a room with 20 drivers only two others agreed with me, the rest either thought he was right or had no clue at all.

steery1:
Was at a CPC course today and of course the good old ferry crossing subject came up again. :laughing:

The instructor said…

Ferry crossing eg 8hrs

Not only did he say this was the correct use of the tacho for embarkation and disembarkation but he said that if, instead of 8hrs the ferry crossing lasted 9hrs because of weather or technical problems we MUST still do 30mins after disembarkation to make it up to 11hrs as we cant use the 9hrs as reduced daily rest because we activated ferry/train mode which has to be 11.
I tried to tell him I thought he was wrong but in a room with 20 drivers only two others agreed with me,
the rest either thought he was right or had no clue at all.

your instructor was nearly correct, you can’t use ferry mode (for a better word) on a reduced rest it has to be a full rest.
you should select it before moving on the boat then reselect rest, then select it again when moving off and parking up for the rest of your daily rest, when you should reselect rest again.

sorry posted twice

wildfire:

steery1:

The instructor said…

Ferry crossing eg 8hrs

I tried to tell him I thought he was wrong but in a room with 20 drivers only two others agreed with me,
the rest either thought he was right or had no clue at all.

your instructor was nearly correct, you can’t use ferry mode (for a better word) on a reduced rest it has to be a full rest.
you should select it before moving on the boat then reselect rest, then select it again when moving off and parking up for the rest of your daily rest, when you should reselect rest again.

I dont believe he was even close…
He said that if I selected “ferry/train” before moving onto the boat, then had a full 9hrs on “rest” during the crossing then I MUST park up after disembarkation to complete an 11hrs full daily rest whether I needed a full daily rest or not.
According to him because I selected “ferry/train” I must do at least 11hrs regardless.

Only a regular daily rest period can be interrupted for ferry/train movements, you cannot legally interrupt a reduced daily rest period.

tachograph:
Only a regular daily rest period can be interrupted for ferry/train movements, you cannot legally interrupt a reduced daily rest period.

Yes but if I got 9hrs rest on the ferry instead of 8hrs due to the weather then I wouldnt need to make it up to 11 after dismbarkation unless I had to?

The instructors point was …beacuse I had selected “ferry/train” before boarding meant that I must get 11hrs even if I got 9 on-board, which I reckon is wrong…?

steery1:

tachograph:

Yes but if I got 9hrs rest on the ferry instead of 8hrs due to the weather then I wouldnt need to make it up to 11 after dismbarkation unless I had to?

The instructors point was …beacuse I had selected “ferry/train” before boarding meant that I must get 11hrs even if I got 9 on-board, which I reckon is wrong…?

re read the post i see what you are saying, if you had completed your 11 hours rest on the boat (2 before boarding and 9 on the boat) then you can drive straight away without using ferry mode again.

wildfire:

steery1:

tachograph:

re read the post i see what you are saying, if you had completed your 11 hours rest on the boat (2 before boarding and 9 on the boat) then you can drive straight away without using ferry mode again.

No thats not what Im saying. 1hr at the port then 9hrs on the boat. I can still drive away without completing 11hrs because the 9hrs on the boat will suffice for a reduced daily rest?