Ferry Mode

steery1:

wildfire:

steery1:

tachograph:
Only a regular daily rest period can be interrupted for ferry/train movements, you cannot legally interrupt a reduced daily rest period.

Yes but if I got 9hrs rest on the ferry instead of 8hrs due to the weather then I wouldnt need to make it up to 11 after dismbarkation unless I had to?

The instructors point was …beacuse I had selected “ferry/train” before boarding meant that I must get 11hrs even if I got 9 on-board, which I reckon is wrong…?

re read the post i see what you are saying, if you had completed your 11 hours rest on the boat (2 before boarding and 9 on the boat) then you can drive straight away without using ferry mode again.

No thats not what Im saying. 1hr at the port then 9hrs on the boat. I can still drive away without completing 11hrs because the 9hrs on the boat will suffice for a reduced daily rest?

9+1 = 10 hours, thats a reduced rest. The only way you’d get round that is not to have the hour rest at the port?

Can the 9hrs on the boat not suffice as a reduced daily rest anyway?
Regardless if I get an hour before boarding or not? :confused:

steery1:
Was at a CPC course today and of course the good old ferry crossing subject came up again. :laughing:

The instructor said…

Drive to port and put tacho to “rest” for eg 1.5hrs
When time to board “drive onto ferry”
When onboard “put tacho to rest and then activate ferry/train on tacho”
Ferry crossing eg 8hrs
When crossing has finished drive off
Park up somewhere and put tacho to “rest” for 1.5hrs

Not only did he say this was the correct use of the tacho for embarkation and disembarkation but he said that if, instead of 8hrs the ferry crossing lasted 9hrs because of weather or technical problems we MUST still do 30mins after disembarkation to make it up to 11hrs as we cant use the 9hrs as reduced daily rest because we activated ferry/train mode which has to be 11.

I tried to tell him I thought he was wrong but in a room with 20 drivers only two others agreed with me, the rest either thought he was right or had no clue at all.

Who were the DCPC outfit because they clearly don’t have a clue. I’ll report them if you don’t want to :angry:

As ROG has already pointed out, the ferry SETTING (it isn’t a mode) is used to simply mark the data with a little picture of a boat. This is done at the point of interrupting the rest to ‘justify/explain’ the interruption. Once selected a little boat picture will appear on the main display where the speed is normally shown (on a Siemens). As soon as the vehicle moves the boat disappears - so there is no ‘deselecting’ of the ferry setting. it just explains the interruption.

If has been suggested the driver had 1 hour of rest at the port, selected ‘ferry’ and drove onto the ferry and then found the ferry was delayed and managed to get 9 hours of uninterrupted rest on board the ferry with access to a bunk or couchette. If this is the case then the driver CAN count that 9 hours as a reduced rest and simply drive straight off and continue his next shift (as long as the 9 hours was within his 24h daily driving period).

Based on what the DCPC trainer said he’s a clown. The 1 hour at the port which the driver then interrupted would simply ‘become’ a break if the driver then utilised the 9h he got on the boat. it aint rocket science.

shep532:

steery1:
Was at a CPC course today and of course the good old ferry crossing subject came up again. :laughing:

The instructor said…

Drive to port and put tacho to “rest” for eg 1.5hrs
When time to board “drive onto ferry”
When onboard “put tacho to rest and then activate ferry/train on tacho”
Ferry crossing eg 8hrs
When crossing has finished drive off
Park up somewhere and put tacho to “rest” for 1.5hrs

Not only did he say this was the correct use of the tacho for embarkation and disembarkation but he said that if, instead of 8hrs the ferry crossing lasted 9hrs because of weather or technical problems we MUST still do 30mins after disembarkation to make it up to 11hrs as we cant use the 9hrs as reduced daily rest because we activated ferry/train mode which has to be 11.

I tried to tell him I thought he was wrong but in a room with 20 drivers only two others agreed with me, the rest either thought he was right or had no clue at all.

Who were the DCPC outfit because they clearly don’t have a clue. I’ll report them if you don’t want to :angry:

As ROG has already pointed out, the ferry SETTING (it isn’t a mode) is used to simply mark the data with a little picture of a boat. This is done at the point of interrupting the rest to ‘justify/explain’ the interruption. Once selected a little boat picture will appear on the main display where the speed is normally shown (on a Siemens). As soon as the vehicle moves the boat disappears - so there is no ‘deselecting’ of the ferry setting. it just explains the interruption.

If has been suggested the driver had 1 hour of rest at the port, selected ‘ferry’ and drove onto the ferry and then found the ferry was delayed and managed to get 9 hours of uninterrupted rest on board the ferry with access to a bunk or couchette. If this is the case then the driver CAN count that 9 hours as a reduced rest and simply drive straight off and continue his next shift (as long as the 9 hours was within his 24h daily driving period).

Based on what the DCPC trainer said he’s a clown. The 1 hour at the port which the driver then interrupted would simply ‘become’ a break if the driver then utilised the 9h he got on the boat. it aint rocket science.

This is what I thought. Thanks for clarifying. :smiley:

As for the instructor, the rest of his course seemed OK, he just didnt have a clue about the procedure for ferrys. I did attempt to disagree with him but with other drivers there who reckon hes right I just gave up.

shep532:
The 1 hour at the port which the driver then interrupted would simply ‘become’ a break if the driver then utilised the 9h he got on the boat. it aint rocket science.

Not if he’s entered his location when he booked off and began his “rest” it wouldn’t. And if he entered his location (to begin his rest) when on the ferry then this wouldn’t be a question.

Mike-C:

shep532:
The 1 hour at the port which the driver then interrupted would simply ‘become’ a break if the driver then utilised the 9h he got on the boat. it aint rocket science.

Not if he’s entered his location when he booked off and began his “rest” it wouldn’t. And if he entered his location (to begin his rest) when on the ferry then this wouldn’t be a question.

I reckon we could argue this one all night long … I’ll stick to my version country code or not. :smiley:

steery1:

As for the instructor, the rest of his course seemed OK, he just didnt have a clue about the procedure for ferrys. I did attempt to disagree with him but with other drivers there who reckon hes right I just gave up.

Here’s why you’re wrong. You cannot legally interupt any rest period. With one exception, thats when you use “ferry mode” to denote your legitimate interuption of your rest period in order to board the ferry. So if you’ve took an hour, then used “ferry mode” as your “legal interuption” and then continue on your rest period for 9 hours. Unless you can scrub the “ferry mode” interuption off your record what you’re looking at on disembarking is an interupted 10 hour rest. You cannot legally interupt a 10 hour rest, with “ferry mode” and you’ll be very hard pushed to tell anyone that you can. There’s also no requirement to use “ferry mode” either just because you are embarking on a “ferry”. It is used specifically as an interuption of your rest period. Thats why there’s no need to use “ferry mode” on the Woolich Ferry for instance. :smiley:
Your argument that you have not interupted a nine hour rest is a red herring. Its neither here nor there and its not what the regulations say. And assuming you recorded your activities correctly on your card, i.e 1 hour rest, ferry interuption, 9 hour rest then it will be that itself that would hang you.

Pay attention to what your instructor tells you :grimacing: :grimacing:

shep532:

Mike-C:

shep532:

I reckon we could argue this one all night long … I’ll stick to my version country code or not. :smiley:

Yeah, lets not report anyone just yet, eh ? !! :grimacing:

Mike-C:

steery1:

Here’s why you’re wrong. You cannot legally interupt any rest period. With one exception, thats when you use “ferry mode” to denote your legitimate interuption of your rest period in order to board the ferry. So if you’ve took an hour, then used “ferry mode” as your “legal interuption” and then continue on your rest period for 9 hours. Unless you can scrub the “ferry mode” interuption off your record what you’re looking at on disembarking is an interupted 10 hour rest. You cannot legally interupt a 10 hour rest, with “ferry mode” and you’ll be very hard pushed to tell anyone that you can. There’s also no requirement to use “ferry mode” either just because you are embarking on a “ferry”. It is used specifically as an interuption of your rest period. Thats why there’s no need to use “ferry mode” on the Woolich Ferry for instance. :smiley:
Your argument that you have not interupted a nine hour rest is a red herring. Its neither here nor there and its not what the regulations say. And assuming you recorded your activities correctly on your card, i.e 1 hour rest, ferry interuption, 9 hour rest then it will be that itself that would hang you.

So are you suggesting that the 9hr rest on the ferry does not qualify as reduced daily rest simply because I used “ferry/train” before boarding?

steery1:

Mike-C:

steery1:

So are you suggesting that the 9hr rest on the ferry does not qualify as reduced daily rest simply because I used “ferry/train” before boarding?

Of course it qualifies as a reduced rest. Thats not your problem. Your problem doing the above scenario is not insufficient rest, your problem is interupting your rest and not completing 11 hours rest like the regs say. The notion that you could count the first hour as “break” is a moot point as you would have activated “ferry mode”, which is the interuption of your rest. If it was claimed it was break, then there would be no reason to activate the ferry mode for an interuption as you’d not be interupting anything.Also your ferry movement would be need to be allocated to one day or the other as opposed to an “interuption” ? What day you gonna record it on ?
You’re looking at a 10 hour rest with an interuption, illegal. And somehow you’re saying…yeah but i had nine hours…doesn’t compute. You can only interupt a 11 hour rest. There’s no grey area about it at all, its very straightforeward.

get to docks.hit the ferry button if it keeps you happy…youl load between 9-30 and 10-30…itl be late as its a bollox of a boat for loading…come off the boat in morn.either drive for up to an hour then tip while on rest,or turn right out the gate,and park up at the back of the petrol station where theres the usual grub etc.2 mins away.if you want 8 hours kip,cab it and give someone else your ticket.if you dont,you will get tannoyed till midnight,and youl be in the cabin with a farter/snorer/pisher.at 5 a.m they will be banging you up,and again tannoyed to death.the grubs minging.set your alarm for 7 1/2 hours after you feel the boat move and youl wake up halfway down the lagan.

Mike-C:

I can’t say I agree at all. The data would show a single uninterrupted rest of 9 hours. If - and it’s a big if - anyone queried the ferry symbol a simple written manual entry would explain it as a simple change of plan. The driver set out to take 11 hours and interrupt it twice etc. a phone call changed his plan and he elected to use a reduced rest.

As long as the 9 hours was continuous no offence has been committed.

Like I said we could argue this one all night :smiley: but of course I’m right. :wink:

EDIT: Can you point me to the relevant ‘offence’ in the Enforcement Sanctions Policy? We can see how much they’d hand the driver by

shep532:

Mike-C:

I can’t say I agree at all. The data would show a single uninterrupted rest of 9 hours. If - and it’s a big if - anyone queried the ferry symbol a simple written manual entry would explain it as a simple change of plan. The driver set out to take 11 hours and interrupt it twice etc. a phone call changed his plan and he elected to use a reduced rest.

As long as the 9 hours was continuous no offence has been committed.

Like I said we could argue this one all night :smiley: but of course I’m right. :wink:

EDIT: Can you point me to the relevant ‘offence’ in the Enforcement Sanctions Policy? We can see how much they’d hand the driver by

Listen mate, as a moderator i know i shoudn’t but…you are clueless in this matter. I wouldn’t ordinarily stick my neck out and say that, but seeing as you teach it, seeing as you wanted to report someone for getting it wrong, and you’re still getting it wrong then i’ll roll with it. If i was you i’d of scratched my chin and researched it before commenting further.

If we’re now at the point where i need to point you to the relevant offence in the Enforcement sanctions policy then that depends upon what the driver has recorded and what he says. So we’ll just stick to the above scenario and your “simple change of plan”.
PLS Code 4-33A / With intent to decieve alters an entry in a book, register or document.
You can’t change your mode with hindsight.

The deception is easy…start a daily rest, then interupt it as permitted, then continue daily rest for 9 hours. You’re now gonna say your daily rest started 9 hours ago when you where on the ferry ? Ok, why did you book off and start rest an hour before in the port ? Why did you “interupt” this rest ? Oh i see, its not rest now ? No ok we’ll just scrub that, we’ll call it break. Ok… Not happening.

The ferry movement…lets discuss that. Is it at the end of your day, or the beginning of your day ? If its the end of your day do you have enough hours left to do the movement ? You can’t run out of hours or time and then move onto a ferry an hour later and then start off again from scratch. LIkewise you can’t start your next shift until you’ve had a daily rest, so if you’re gonna resume when you start moving to get on the ferry then thats where your rest will end, assuming you’ve had a daily rest ?

As its probably sinking in with you about now the ability to move onto or off a ferry whilst on rest is only brought about by invoking the “ferry mode” get out clause for the movement. Once you invoke the “ferry mode” get out clause you need to accomplish 11 hours rest. There is no way round it.

Yes you can drive to a ferry, get on board and have 9 hours rest and drive off. But thats not what we’re talking about here. What was the name of your company that you teach for BTW, you never said ?

And I will continue to disagree with you. I do not need to research anything further and fully understand the implications of ferry movements.

The driver did not alter anything or falsify anything or attemp to deceive anyone. He simply changed his mind and took a perfectly legal reduced rest. There is a selection of the ferry setting which could easily be explained quite logically.

Yes he interrupted his rest after 1 hour which is not an offence as long as the required rest is then taken within the 24h day. This is no different than I go home on my rest and the boss calls me back in. As long as I have enough hours to take my full uninterrupted rest within that 24 hour period then it isn’t a problem as long as I record it all.

The point of discussion appears to be the ferry setting and the legal status of it. I believe it is simply a way of marking the rest interruption and does not carry any more weight than that.

I stand to be corrected but simply insisting I am wrong because you are right doesn’t achieve this. please point me to the relevant documentation that tells us once the ferry setting has been selected the driver is committed to that 11 hours of rest. I don’t dispute any of the other stuff you have written regarding ferry movements.

I am not trying to provoke an argument. You say you are right and I say I am right. What do we do now?

shep532:
And I will continue to disagree with you. I do not need to research anything further and fully understand the implications of ferry movements.

The driver did not alter anything or falsify anything or attemp to deceive anyone. He simply changed his mind and took a perfectly legal reduced rest. There is a selection of the ferry setting which could easily be explained quite logically.

Yes he interrupted his rest after 1 hour which is not an offence as long as the required rest is then taken within the 24h day. This is no different than I go home on my rest and the boss calls me back in. As long as I have enough hours to take my full uninterrupted rest within that 24 hour period then it isn’t a problem as long as I record it all.

The point of discussion appears to be the ferry setting and the legal status of it. I believe it is simply a way of marking the rest interruption and does not carry any more weight than that.

I stand to be corrected but simply insisting I am wrong because you are right doesn’t achieve this. please point me to the relevant documentation that tells us once the ferry setting has been selected the driver is committed to that 11 hours of rest. I don’t dispute any of the other stuff you have written regarding ferry movements.

I am not trying to provoke an argument. You say you are right and I say I am right. What do we do now?

I’m happy with argument. It serves a purpose. And i agree with you the ferry setting is the point of discussion. And i agree with you it carries no more weight than that. You say…

Yes he interrupted his rest after 1 hour which is not an offence as long as the required rest is then taken within the 24h day.

Correct. The required rest after an interuption is how many hours ?

shep532:
He simply changed his mind and took a perfectly legal reduced rest. There is a selection of the ferry setting which could easily be explained quite logically.

Go !

dieseldog999:
get to docks.hit the ferry button if it keeps you happy…youl load between 9-30 and 10-30…itl be late as its a bollox of a boat for loading…come off the boat in morn.either drive for up to an hour then tip while on rest,or turn right out the gate,and park up at the back of the petrol station where theres the usual grub etc.2 mins away.if you want 8 hours kip,cab it and give someone else your ticket.if you dont,you will get tannoyed till midnight,and youl be in the cabin with a farter/snorer/pisher.at 5 a.m they will be banging you up,and again tannoyed to death.the grubs minging.set your alarm for 7 1/2 hours after you feel the boat move and youl wake up halfway down the lagan.

We’re not talking about your social life bud, we’re talking about driving lorries. HTH.

Mike-C:

dieseldog999:

We’re not talking about your social life bud, we’re talking about driving lorries. HTH.

if theres 2 worst minging ferries in the uk then the lagan and Mersey Viking are the pick of the lot.thats the way it works for most running across and back.the only way you get a good kip is if you cab it on the deck.the boats forever running late as its a blindside reverse for a lot of the bays and your reversing up the ramp on the wrong side with the flipflops waiting for you to line up where you think your going to go,then tell you to go somewhere else.pish boat,pish crew,pish grub.youve up to an hours driving from the boat,some like to make best use of it.

There is no “intent to deceive”.(Thats a massive leap to judgement). If I dont get the required 9 on board then I must take the 11 and finish it after disembarkation.
Neither is there an “alteration in an entry in a book, register or document.” Its all on the card unaltered.

I would doubt a written explanation for the use of “ferry/train” before a 9hr daily rest would even be needed as has been pointed out the data shows an uninterrupted 9hrs rest completed within the 24 hour period, but it wouldnt do any harm I suppose.

steery1:
There is no “intent to deceive”.(Thats a massive leap to judgement). If I dont get the required 9 on board then I must take the 11 and finish it after disembarkation.
Neither is there an “alteration in an entry in a book, register or document.” Its all on the card unaltered.

I would doubt a written explanation for the use of “ferry/train” before a 9hr daily rest would even be needed as has been pointed out the data shows an uninterrupted 9hrs rest completed within the 24 hour period, but it wouldnt do any harm I suppose.

You’ve lost me…(not hard i know) :smiley: Whats “the required 9 on board” ? I wanna know how you are going to interupt a reduced rest to board a ferry when the regulations say you can only interupt a Regular rest period? How are you gonna get round that ?