Ferry mode

Can I interrupt a weekly break using ferry mode?
There’s a potential situation that’ll see me board a ferry 140hrs in to my week. It’s an 8-9 hr crossing. Hopefully ‘the office’ will get it sorted before I get to this point.

I’m gonna…

Say no you can’t.

Not much point in having weekly break that you can just ignore when ever it suits your boss.

If it was me, I wouldn’t be entering into a discussion about working over my weekly rest.

I’d guess no but not sure. Just had a look at GV262 and it only refers to interrupting a daily rest but doesn’t mention ferries/trains and weekly rests.

Simple answer.
No you can’t!

yourhavingalarf:
I’m gonna…

Say no you can’t.

Nice username to thread context

No
You cant use a ferry break to interupt a weekly rest . it can only be used along with a daily rest.

I think this has changed recently.
You can interrupt a weekly rest if away from home country. You can’t use it to leave or return to home.
Can’t look as internet problem here.
Check .gov

Franglais:
You can interrupt a weekly rest if away from home country. You can’t use it to leave or return to home.
Check .gov

If it has…

Changed then once again, they’ve nicked another part of our own time and turned it into more work.

The only time I’d be interrupting my weekly rest would be an immediate security issue or, a personal family matter not an operational one.

OP, tell your boss to get stuffed.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:
Check .gov

If it has…

Changed then once again, they’ve nicked another part of our own time and turned it into more work.

The only time I’d be interrupting my weekly rest would be an immediate security issue or, a personal family matter not an operational one.

OP, tell your boss to get stuffed.

The idea is that you can get the job done whilst away, and then get home.
Note, it can’t be done to get you away from home earlier, and doesn’t interrupt your full break at the end of a trip.

Franglais:
The idea is that you can get the job done whilst away, and then get home.
Note, it can’t be done to get you away from home earlier, and doesn’t interrupt your full break at the end of a trip.

It’s about…

Flexibility, I can see that. But, it’s at the drivers expense again. The origional rule was your break couldn’t be interrupted, now it can be interrupted. Interrupted at cost to the driver and that’s not right.

There’s a lot of talk of this in Denmark as the sea crossing to Immingham is around 18 hours, Im not sure of new rule changes or if the latest Tachos will be programmed for this but apparently it is ok nowadays. Anyone from Vosa can throw light on this?

Gotta be on .gov.

?
Somewhere…

8 hrs min crossing

Thanks for the replies. I’ve already told them I won’t run bent.
So this is the whole picture;
I’m booked to go to Jersey Monday morning. Drop & swap at St. Helier and return on Monday night. I’ve told them that if there’s no cabin available on my return journey that’ll still be within my 144hrs, so that I can get my daily rest. I won’t be boarding until after I’ve had my weekly rest. (my 6th day is Tuesday) And they’ll have to get me a crossing after that.
They stitched up the last driver that went, so they have form!

LazyDriver:

Not sure…

If you’re aware but, it’s a bit of a drivers market at the moment. Go find another job.

yourhavingalarf:

LazyDriver:

Not sure…

If you’re aware but, it’s a bit of a drivers market at the moment. Go find another job.

This run is a rarity in the job. Only 5 runs all season. 3 of which were sorted. . It’s only a 6 month contract that finishes in a couple of weeks anyway, with a golden handcuff clause. So, I’ll go and enjoy a day off in Jersey. Now I’m happy that, by refusing to get on the ferry back unless there is a cabin, I have the law behind me.

Outcomen
Drama averted. When faced with a new £1500 ticket and the loss of a driver and unit for a day. A cabin, ‘as if by magic’ was sourced for my daily break. Heading back to blighty as soon as I’ve dropped & swapped.

LazyDriver:
Outcomen
Drama averted. When faced with a new £1500 ticket and the loss of a driver and unit for a day. A cabin, ‘as if by magic’ was sourced for my daily break. Heading back to blighty as soon as I’ve dropped & swapped.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to simply send the trailer to St Hellier and send the other one on the ferry home on its own? Pick up each end by local driver?

Yorkshire Tramper:

LazyDriver:
Outcomen

Wouldn’t it make more sense to simply send the trailer to St Hellier and send the other one on the ferry home on its own? Pick up each end by local driver?

Unfortunately these tankers cannot be dropped loaded for anything more than to get another unit underneath. They have a tendency to break open when supported by landing legs.

LazyDriver:
Can I interrupt a weekly break using ferry mode?
There’s a potential situation that’ll see me board a ferry 140hrs in to my week. It’s an 8-9 hr crossing. Hopefully ‘the office’ will get it sorted before I get to this point.

Yes, you absolutely can for about a year now since the mobility package changes came into effect last August.

Some requirements however:

1. Need a bunk which has been there forever on ferry interruption so a bit strange how your company “forgot” about that show stopper.

2. If ferry crossing is less than 8 hours you can only interrupt a reduced weekly rest.

3. If a ferry crossing is 8 hours or more you can interrupt a regular weekly rest but must have a cabin.

In my experience this has been a great change to the regs.

Nothing as bad as before the changes, getting to the port for ferry home in loads of time but cannot board as getting on or off or both will take you into day 7.

Company just loved saying sorry, you are out of hours but you can take your rest in the port over there and we will send a trailer out to you. Saved them mucho $$$ and effort.

Now it’s get on the boat, go home, and hit the road again after suitable time off, so happier days :slight_smile:

The official version:

“(8) Article 9 is amended as follows:

(a) paragraph 1 is replaced by the following:

‘1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train and takes a regular daily rest period or a reduced weekly rest period, that period may be interrupted not more than twice by other activities not exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest or reduced weekly rest period the driver shall have access to a sleeper cabin, bunk or couchette at their disposal.

With regard to regular weekly rest periods, that derogation shall only apply to ferry or train journeys where:

(a) the journey is scheduled for 8 hours or more; and

(b) the driver has access to a sleeper cabin in the ferry or on the train.';”