Ferry mode

Hurryup&wait:
weekly rest period the driver shall have access to a sleeper cabin, bunk or couchette at their disposal.

What’s a ‘couchette’? Is it the same as a recliner? They did book one of those but i refused to accept it as a bed.

LazyDriver:

Hurryup&wait:
weekly rest period the driver shall have access to a sleeper cabin, bunk or couchette at their disposal.

What’s a ‘couchette’? Is it the same as a recliner? They did book one of those but i refused to accept it as a bed.

Couchettes travel by train, bunks or hammocks travel by sea,

Wheel Nut:

LazyDriver:

Hurryup&wait:

But…
The French word for a bunk on a ship is couchette. And that could well be a fixed, proper bunk, or bed…
A couchette could describe a seat that reclines, in a lounge; or a seat that turns into a full single bed/bunk in a private cabin.

Wheel Nut:

LazyDriver:

Hurryup&wait:

A fantastically simple and accurate explanation by Wheel Nut.

Loungers, recliners etc do not qualify so you were correct to decline that option.

Google couchette and you will see it’s popular on European trains but a bit of a mystery to us. I think they are more a seating cabin that you can convert into a sleeping arrangement at night by swinging the bunks down off the walls or summat.