Ferry companies DFDS andLD Lines announce Dover-Calais route

Ferry companies DFDS and LD Lines have announced a new Dover-Calais route that will start operation from February 17.

Two ships flying the French flag will be crossing the Channel.

The companies have been considering running new ships on the route since the collapse of SeaFrance.

Initially thge companies will operate the route with the Norman Spirit, and they say a further ferry under the French flag will be added on the Dover Strait as soon as a suitable ship can be made ready.

The companies will hire 300 staff at sea and ashore, and the hiring process, including taking on former SeaFrance staff, has already started.

DFDS and LDA said they were grateful for the support they had received received from the French Government, Chamber of Commerce, the local authorities and the ports.

In a statement they said: “We are confident that our customers and the many people and freight companies that travel between France and Dover will benefit from the flexibility we can now offer with both a northern leg on Dover-Dunkerque and a southern leg on Calais-Dover.

“We therefore look very much forward to being able to welcome passengers as well as freight customers to our new Calais-Dover service, and, in cooperation with our new employees as well as our staff in Dover and Dunkerque, we look forward to providing an attractive and efficient customers service and a sustainable workplace.”

There will be five crossings a day until a second ferry is ready.

Source, kentnews.co.uk/news/ferry_co … _1_1197489

Harry Monk:
The companies will hire 300 staff at sea and ashore, and the hiring process, including taking on former SeaFrance staff, has already started.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

They actually announced this on 10th January.

Source: http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/DFDS-LD-Lines-open-new-ferry-route-Dover-Calais/story-14380038-detail/story.html

On the Local BBC News tonight it was reported that they will be using the LD Lines ship Norman Spirit, formerly the Prinz Phillip of Ostend Ferries fame and used last on the Ramsgate - Ostend run by the Trans Europa/LD linkup.

They are not called “Lucky Dip Lines” for nothing! :wink:

I’ll give them six months before they decide that Plymouth to Ostend is a better bet.

Ex Haulier:
I’ll give them six months before they decide that Plymouth to Ostend is a better bet.

I reckon Dover - Newhaven

I wonder what will happen with the old Sea France Boats with the exception of the NPC they were all quite new. I never got to go on the ex superfast design Moliere (that could easily go back to the adriatic but the other two are pretty much two big for most routes or not fit for purpose i.e they cannot be used on Scandinavian routes. They must be cluttering up Calais

Eurotunnel are looking to buy the 3 pax boats then charter them out.
P&O have expressed an interest in the Rodin and Berloiz for the Irish sea, and DFDS are after them for their DoCal service.

Rumour has it that DFDS/LD approached Britany Ferries for the Barfleur for short term charter for Dover-Calais, but BF told them it was ‘unavailable’

No one seems to want the Nord Pas, which means it’ll end up in TransEuropa colours. The whole lot will probably get moved to Dunkirk for lay-up until they’re sold.

Make no bones about it, DFDS are the dominant partner in the LD lines tie up, and won’t let LD mess it around too much. Don’t be suprised if after a year or 2, DFDS buy out LD’s stake (which won’t be a bad thing), much like the P&O - Stena demerger in the 90’s

switchlogic:

Ex Haulier:

I reckon Dover - Newhaven

Will i need my passport? :laughing::lol::lol:

It cannot come soon enough more boats are needed I am interested to see what the cost will be from
DFDS/LD for the Dover - Calais route

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out but lets face it, it cant be any worse than the shambles seafrance had.
Personally I prefer the train every time, even with the stench of sweat and nylon shell suit I would much rather spend as little time as possible crossing the channel and eat at my own leisure. Last time I was doing any crossings, the food on all of them was quite dire! P&O was usually ok but not worthy of the price they were charging.

Just enquired of the cost for LD Dover /Calais, booked through Freightlink, for a 6 metre van and it’s the same as DFDS Dover/Dunkirk (£98)…which is nice. :slight_smile:

jayseabea:
Just enquired of the cost for LD Dover /Calais, booked through Freightlink, for a 6 metre van and it’s the same as DFDS Dover/Dunkirk (£98)…which is nice. :slight_smile:

How did you manage to book ?
Theirs must be the most frustrating web site that I have ever tried to book with as it advertises a one way price (which I want) but will not recognise this fact, or indeed have the selection option.
Dieppe Newhaven looks to be a good price if I book now at 48quid (one way) but as I do not know which route I may be taking back, or even when.

jayseabea:

Strange, as the website is quoting me £77.51 + vat + = £93.01. Yet Dover/Dunkerque is coming up at £83.17 + vat = £99.80

Dodgy Permit:

jayseabea:

How did you manage to book ?
Theirs must be the most frustrating web site that I have ever tried to book with as it advertises a one way price (which I want) but will not recognise this fact, or indeed have the selection option.
Dieppe Newhaven looks to be a good price if I book now at 48quid (one way) but as I do not know which route I may be taking back, or even when.

Not sure where you get that price from, as they are quoting £140.98 + vat one way for a 6m van.

Have to admit, I don’t use Freightlink as can get cheaper on direct accounts, but always keep an eye on who is charging what.

Ah I should have mentioned its a car & as I live in Spain I will be driving over in June for a spell.

Last time we looked into it Freightlink were a bit dearer than going direct, so much so that Dover-Dunquerque was £20 dearer than the tunnel.

Just came over on the ld/dfds Calais boat tonight. They are offering concessionary rates to get it off the ground.
The ship is only half open at the mo, restaurant coffe shop & small duty free. Lots of comfortable seating at the front. It is in fact exactly the same as the last time I used it on pompy- le havre. But food was ok if a little expensive. Main meal, bottle of water ( extra ) & dessert £8.15.
Won’t be using it once price reverts to normal that’s a certainty.

i thought the norman spirit used to be p&o pride of aquitane or somthin like that, last used on calais-boulogne

It’s been used by ld lines on le havre crossing since it began. Previous to that it was used by p&o.