Fellow drivers breaking the law

jcc100165:
I work along side other drivers who are breaking the law by tipping on break and compleating trips which must include speeding. This has been pointed out to management who turn a blind eye to it. This is a ‘blue chip’ company on ADR tanker work. Very frustrating!!!

Do not get pulled into this practice by peer pressure under any circumstances. If the management know this is going on and are choosing to ignore it then it is they who will appear in the dock with the driver concerned if the brown stuff hits the fan. I bet they have a get out clause somewhere in the form of a toolbox talk or a safety breifing that they will hide behind.

Let them get on with it, but if you really feel agreived then put a formal greivence in to senior management and if the issue is not resolved then involve VOSA. You have a duty of care to other road users and the public at large as well as to yourself, and if you see a dangerous practice going on then you should report it.

You could always get another job

You say at the beginning you object to “drivers tipping on break” and completing trips which MUST include speeding, yet in your 3rd post you tell us that you are on a final warning for “tipping on break”

It sounds a bit like that Yogi bloke from Breens who was on the TV

Quality Mr VAIN :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

Liked the link Wheelnut :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

“ello ello ello” :open_mouth:

limeyphil:
They are not exactly doing anything wrong.
It’s just the way the job works. Its’ always been about bending the rules.
First you get the job done.
Second you obey the law.

It’s just the way it is.

I would say it’s the other way around - SAFE - LAW - CONVENIENT (as poss) and that includes ‘getting the job done’

jcc100165:
I work along side other drivers who are breaking the law by tipping on break and compleating trips which must include speeding. This has been pointed out to management who turn a blind eye to it. This is a ‘blue chip’ company on ADR tanker work. Very frustrating!!!

Just wondering if you are just so squeaky clean :question: , if so congratulations because if so you are in the minority :exclamation:

Just wondering if you are just so squeaky clean :question: , if so congratulations because if so you are in the minority :exclamation:
[/quote]

Aint that a fact :exclamation:

jcc100165:

ROG:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome jcc100165 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:** ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOARTICWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOWDWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGORIGIDWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOARTICWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOWDWinCE.jpg) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGORIGIDWinCE.jpg)

If SAFETY is being compromised then make calls to the enforcement agencies - anonymously if you want.
Otherwise - forget it.

It’s illegal to do 100 on a motorway but if the motorway is empty then safety is not compromised.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am talking about the A82 to Ft William, reported to be the most dangerous road in Scotland.
VOSA have been informed but nothing apparent has been done,
The ‘long in the tooth’ drivers here are concerened about the concequences if an accident occurs.
One driver two years ago left the road near Ft William and was sacked.
‘speeding previous to the accident’ was the quote.
47mph for 7 seconds to pass a tractor…

I think i no the company you work for :open_mouth: If anyone else gets sacked give me a shout i would love a Job there. :smiley: :smiley:

In my limited experience in the road transport industry, I’ve found that things have got a lot worse recently in terms of the pressure which transport offices put drivers under to get things done and save money.

In my last job I was very unpopular with management as I was one of very few who stuck to the law by insisting that my vehicle was loaded safely and taking proper breaks etc. In turn they made life very hard for me, contributing to my decision to leave that particular company.

Of course, I could have made written accounts of each time they stepped out of line, sought legal/union advice, taken it to the relavent authorities and fought my battles in tribunals. However, this would cost me money (which I could probably get back), a hell of a lot of time (which I can never get back), stress (which I don’t need any more of!) and a lot of hard work to try and prove my point whilst working in a full time job trying to keep myself living.

Instead, I chose to leave. Feels like three years of my working life have been wasted somewhat as they’re not likely to give a truthful and fair reference about me for any future employer of mine. But leaving was the only realistic option.

Basically, they’ve got you by the balls.

I had the last laugh in a way as speaking to one of my ex-colleagues recently, they’re now struggling tremendously due to the recession and will probably go under :sunglasses:

There are some Bitter people On here :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:

You say at the beginning you object to “drivers tipping on break” and completing trips which MUST include speeding, yet in your 3rd post you tell us that you are on a final warning for “tipping on break”

Cheers Wheelnut, If Yogi is 43 greying and 2 stone overweight… Thats me.

The final warning I got was over 2 years ago.
Might seem like pot and kettle etc…but all the drives on this contract were doing it untill the accident.
Again my problem is possibly a trivial one to you, but the slippery slope to another accident by certain drivers is on the way.
I am trying to avoid this happening again, and I thought (stupidly enought) I could get some advice here. Not having used this forum before.
Some mixed reactions or what…
Thanks to all for their points of view.
SAFE driving my friends…

oh well i might as well put my 2 pence worth in :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

as for tipping on break is it a requirement for you to be with the vehicle when tipping.i must admit when i am loading i put mine on break as i can leave it and go have a shower etc or something to eat,so i am free to dispose of my time therefore i don’t consider i am either bending or breaking the rules.

as for speeding i would say 95% if not more have done it and if someone tells you they haven’t they are probably lying if not in a truck then in their car!!
even i will push up to 50 mph on single roads if safe to do so and some times more if i can get away with it, the reason for this is very simple, a lot of drivers get frustrated being stuck behind a wagon of miles at 40 mph then take stupid risks just to get past you which i personally think is more dangerous to other road users than me going 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, were as they
normally stay behind until a good place to overtake comes along. i know this is going to start a lot of flack being thrown my way but so be it,i have seen the consequences of frustrated drivers first hand, i was in the recovery trade for 10 years,

like someone else said in an earlier post if its ■■■■■■■ you off that much find something else to do, i expect these guys just want to get the job done and then home to the good lady for a bit of relaxation :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

ravanoli:
There are some Bitter people On here :open_mouth:

There are some Lager people on here too.
But i’ll try a bitter on friday. :laughing:

Ive a feeling the OP is more worried about getting caught out skiving then any road safety issues.

More likely dawdling along the road to his destination, getting there sitting having a break but leaving it on other work whilst sitting about.

Then going outside where ever he has tiped and taking another break, other driver for what ever reason not wanting to hanging about so getting the job done.

Sounds more realistic :wink:

jcc100165:
The problem is the company want to know why we cant do the same work.
Sorry if it is not interesting to you…

jcc, if you do you work 100% legal, dont worry what other people are doing! even tho they are saying why carnt you do this and that,
everyone has a right to speak “on here aswell”
just do your job to the best you can!! and dont get drawn in to he"s doing this and hes doing that and the other!!
what i am trying to say in around about term jcc, if they want to let them because you will always get people who will do this, that is transport!!! and there is nothing you can do to chagne it apart from loose people JOBS!!

jcc100165:

Wheel Nut:

Cheers Wheelnut, If Yogi is 43 greying and 2 stone overweight… Thats me.

The final warning I got was over 2 years ago.
Might seem like pot and kettle etc…but all the drives on this contract were doing it untill the accident.
Again my problem is possibly a trivial one to you, but the slippery slope to another accident by certain drivers is on the way.
I am trying to avoid this happening again, and I thought (stupidly enought) I could get some advice here. Not having used this forum before.
Some mixed reactions or what…
Thanks to all for their points of view.
SAFE driving my friends…

Try and not take it personally, this is a good place for advice and in your situation leaving for a new job! Or just keeping your head down seems to be good advice.
In general most people are dead against grassing fellow drivers for doing what they feel is neccessary to feed their families so you should take the negative comments in that light.

Kenny1975:
Ive a feeling the OP is more worried about getting caught out skiving then any road safety issues.

More likely dawdling along the road to his destination, getting there sitting having a break but leaving it on other work whilst sitting about.

Then going outside where ever he has tiped and taking another break, other driver for what ever reason not wanting to hanging about so getting the job done.

Sounds more realistic :wink:

exactly what i was thinking

untill i got a digi tacho my mode was never switched off break

MR VAIN:
AH YES! Nothing like a good ole grassing post to get the year going! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was thinking the same, been a bit lame on here this last week or so :cry:

I reckon you should do YOUR job & let the others do it their way, if they’re doing something that is blatantly dangerous then maybe it would be ok to bring it to somebodies attention, but if they’re not hurting anyone then leave well alone, the way things are today I doubt you would be very popular if you got someone the sack.

It’s not fair though is it. the guy does the job legit and gets criticised for skiving but when he got caught for twisting the rules the same employer gave him final warning. I don’t blame him for being bitter.

peteandbrenda:
oh well i might as well put my 2 pence worth in :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

as for tipping on break is it a requirement for you to be with the vehicle when tipping.i must admit when i am loading i put mine on break as i can leave it and go have a shower etc or something to eat,so i am free to dispose of my time therefore i don’t consider i am either bending or breaking the rules.

If other workers are unloading it then it is perfectly legal for you to be on break while they are doing it (or even better POA). I think the original post was moaning about people not having a break at all and putting the tacho onto break whilst the driver unloaded themselves.

I’m saying nothing

■■■■ i just did :unamused: :unamused:

Just do the job the way you want to
Speed limits etc breaks etc
if you get pulled in th office tell the tm to come with you and show you where your going wrong
After that he cant do or say anything really can he