Felixstowe dock work very slow

is there any work out of felixstowe docks goldstar had 60 trucks parked up yesterday and wincantion had 40 trucks as well has the credit crunch kick in

Its very slow at the moment,I would say its the worst i ve seen it in 11 years.
Had to look for work myself last week,never had to before.Have managed to keep them all busy at the moment.Next week is looking better some big ships in if the wind stays away.

Big ships in with not a lot on I suspect. I see the China vessel everyone’s harping on about has arrived so I guess it will be better for some next week.

I was stood up Monday/Tuesday with no work and thats the first time since 2001 I’ve not worked for two consecutive days :frowning:

Its not good, I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for some considerable time :frowning:

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: yeah i was up at the docks on Monday the box lanes were full of holes we are all in for hard times its only just started. CANCEL CHRISTMAS!!!

LOVE THE JOB YOUR IN

Maritime finished all the subbies who have there own trailers on monday and the ones who rent trailers from them have two weeks and off they go too not sure if this is short term but our vehicle has been on for 3 years and it would seem loyalty is a one way street.Not sure if its every depot but this happened at felixstowe

seaforth was busy all day yesterday :smiley:

I’ve sat on my arse for nearly a fortnight now. I agree with JOBE about the state of play there at the minute, it’s pretty dire.

This is just the tip of the iceberg boys, this is the busiest time of the year for all container ports especially Felixstowe. If you think it is bad now just see what the new year will bring, sorry to be so cheerful but it has been coming for a long time.

andrew wilding:
is there any work out of felixstowe docks goldstar had 60 trucks parked up yesterday and wincantion had 40 trucks as well has the credit crunch kick in

No ■■■■ sherlock! Where you bin hiding? Some things dint come right from last christmas and then the fuel hikes. Just sit back and go with the flow, there is nothing we can do about it, we are all in this together.

I had noticed its a lot quieter on the dock spur roundabout lately…But as i live in the posh bit of felix only time I go near the docks is to get food or off to morrisons.

Just watching news at ten, Hell!!!

Started watching News at 10 then thought i get away from the doom and gloom and nip to the pub,big mistake only three of us in the pub and they where moaning about there jobs!!!lucky they still got um.

jayeastanglia:
I had noticed its a lot quieter on the dock spur roundabout lately…But as i live in the posh bit of felix only time I go near the docks is to get food or off to morrisons.

Felixstowe has a posh bit? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

yes jb, its them laybys just before the big roundabout :laughing: :laughing:

I think you will find it a bit busyer towards the middle of the week,should be 5 large ships in by then and they all have good tonage on them.Feb to April is allways slow but i dont think for those of us that dont use the Big lads like wincanton and maritime it will be any flatter than normal,infact i think we will be better off because they are looking for alot less work because they have atleast 200 less subbies to find work for.Time has come to sit still and not grow,just be more careful.And like MR VAIN said we are all in it together just some deaper than others.

JUST KEEP ROWING THE BOAT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

I think you’ll find that even China is starting to suffer with the lack of orders, I was talking to the rep from the shipping agents that import the Hour Guards yesterday, the rates are dropping for containers in a bid to fill the ships up, but without much success, it’s now costing in the region of £550 for a 20ft container from China whereas it was over £1k earlier this year :open_mouth:

I wont be surprised to see a few of the big shipping lines cutting back, there’s more boxes coming to the UK than going back full, so their already being hit on the return journey.

Mattel have cut back on orders resulting in 7,000 chinese workers being made redundant overnight, and going by the Hong Kong Trade Industries they estimate at least 700,000 factory jobs will disappear before the chinese new year.

Whats more concerning is the Chinese new year is when some companies disappear, owing suppliers 100’s of Thousands of dollars they close for 2 weeks and their never seen again. I learned the hard way, never pay for stock before the Chinese New Year to be manufactured after the New Year :angry: :angry: :angry:

mark h:
seaforth was busy all day yesterday :smiley:

Thats ok then :sunglasses:

JOBE:
I think you will find it a bit busyer towards the middle of the week,should be 5 large ships in by then and they all have good tonage on them.Feb to April is allways slow but i dont think for those of us that dont use the Big lads like wincanton and maritime it will be any flatter than normal,infact i think we will be better off because they are looking for alot less work because they have atleast 200 less subbies to find work for.Time has come to sit still and not grow,just be more careful.And like MR VAIN said we are all in it together just some deaper than others.

JUST KEEP ROWING THE BOAT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

The problem is, are these subbies going to try and get work from elsewhere like we do I guess. I mean, i’m on direct for MSC and things are not rosey for me so god knows what its going to be like for the spot rate guys :frowning:

Next Febuary time is going to prove very interesting indeed :frowning: :cry:

But we were told in May that things would be quiet until Oct/Nov due to the Olympics. Chinese authorities closed all the power stations to clean up the air so all the factories closed. I heard the boats docked before the Olympics wouldn’t load until Sept. and get dockside till now. Looks like that was correct.

JB:

jayeastanglia:

Felixstowe has a posh bit? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

oh yeah is posh near me…right over near the golf course…Can still hear when they drop a container on a quiet night :smiley: