Feeling unwell

Have had a pain in my chest since Thursday but carried on working till half way through my shift on Saturday when I thought I needed to get it checked out. Phoned the numpty weekend controller to tell him I won’t be able to do my Sunday shift,the response? Well I’ve already sorted your shift tomorrow,oh, never mind, I’ll have to sort something out and put the phone down. What happened to "are you ok to finish your drive today, is there anything we can do for you? Just because I drive a truck does that mean I am valued so little?.

Its the job we are in, someone in an office can be off for a day and other employees can pick up any extra work if needed, but if your a driver and you want a day off sick your trailer is suddenly the most urgent load ever and only you know how to deliver it.

I was once doing deliveries to a shop in Greenock. As soon as I pulled up an empty bottle came out of an upstairs window. I thought it had dropped till another one came and I realised they were aiming at the wagon. Called the cops and they came but ■■■■■■■■■ were long gone. Called my gaffer and told him His response was “its terrible eh?”. Ten minutes later Im on my way back to the warehouse when office manager calls me. "“X told me someone was chucking bottles at you?” I told him Yes and that cops had dealt with it. His response? “Ah,well as long as the truck is ok and everything. I have it booked to go out tonight”. He never even asked if I was ok. Im a big boy. I worked the doors for 14 years and ive had worse than two junkies chucking bottles but I was totally ■■■■■■ off that his only concern was whether he had a unit or not.
I never went back. I was toying with leaving anyway but that was the last straw.
Sounds like your office has the same mentality

That’s unfortunately the job today, you are only an arse on a driving seat, a number.
I have worked for firms before where you are valued, and it makes all the difference, it also makes you more willing and productive, which benefits the company, but some employers are that thick they cannot see it.

When our little en was born about two year ago I had two week booked off to help out, but she had a terrible time during the birth and was really ill, during my first week off it was obvious that she wasn’t going to be fit for me to return to work after only two weeks.
I phoned the gaffer to inform him I would be having an extra week and I would have to see how she was after this, he wasn’t very happy at all, gave me some right crap and you woulda thought I was closing the company down.
When I eventually returned to work he was in the office and came straight over to me, I thought “here we go this is where I end up losing my job” I was in no mood and it wouldn’t have ended well for either of us, but he came over and just said “you did the right thing, you have to look after em you know” :unamused: so I’m guessing he managed to cover my runs :grimacing:

Minger:
Have had a pain in my chest since Thursday but carried on working till half way through my shift on Saturday when I thought I needed to get it checked out. Phoned the numpty weekend controller to tell him I won’t be able to do my Sunday shift,the response? Well I’ve already sorted your shift tomorrow,oh, never mind, I’ll have to sort something out and put the phone down. What happened to "are you ok to finish your drive today, is there anything we can do for you? Just because I drive a truck does that mean I am valued so little?.

Just park your truck outside the doc`s. Thats what I did.

The issue is that years ago we just got on with the job whatever ,we drove until we fell,now we have the new age truck driver who needs a month off to recover from a headache etc .

dozy:
The issue is that years ago we just got on with the job whatever ,we drove until we fell,now we have the new age truck driver who needs a month off to recover from a headache etc .

Chest pains could be serious don’t be such a prick. There’s not one example on this thread to back up your claim, but seeing as you usually spout utter ■■■■■■■■ I suppose it’s to be expected of you :unamused:

dozy:

And the award for today’s [zb] goes to !!!

Shut the [zb] up eh

dozy:

Now its little gems like this that are why I would like you taken off premed. Now I’m sure there are some folks out there who make the most of a poorly as well as those who just crack on through even the most brutal period pains but for this topic we are discussing chest pains which can be very serious.

As for what ‘we’ did back in the day, those that where the royal ‘we’ and not just a neewbie Stobbies (or Stoddies as you would call them) driver like yourself who is still yet to receive the golden rivet, rarely discuss past shenanigans apart from in the company of other members of the golden rivet club.

Just guessin…

OllieNotts:

dozy:

Chest pains could be serious don’t be such a prick. There’s not one example on this thread to back up your claim, but seeing as you usually spout utter ■■■■■■■■ I suppose it’s to be expected of you :unamused:

So this serious chest pain started on Thursday :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,and he felt he needed to get it checked out halfway through his ■■■■ on Saturday :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: ,that was after ringing in too see if it ok ,no wonder his boss wasn’t intrested ,neither would I be .
As I say these days a cold means a month in bed for the latest crop of drivers ,I assume your one of them ,not a surprise reading your posts :exclamation:

Dipper_Dave:

dozy:

Now its little gems like this that are why I would like you taken off premed. Now I’m sure there are some folks out there who make the most of a poorly as well as those who just crack on through even the most brutal period pains but for this topic we are discussing chest pains which can be very serious.

As for what ‘we’ did back in the day, those that where the royal ‘we’ and not just a neewbie Stobbies (or Stoddies as you would call them) driver like yourself who is still yet to receive the golden rivet, rarely discuss past shenanigans apart from in the company of other members of the golden rivet club.

Just guessin…

Ffs the pain started on Thursday ,yes I’ll repeat that Thursday ,Saturday ,yes half way through Saturday he was that bad he decided too ring his boss,t.o too clear it too go and get checked ,if it was that bloody bad he would of got it checked out on the Thursday ,straight away as you would if it was that bad or even rang 999 from cab if you weren’t already dead .
But no he continued too drive Thursday ,drive Friday ,and then got halfway through Saturday ( 2 days later ) and was that seriously ill he felt he needed too get permission from his bosses too go and get this serious chest pain sorted out ,give me a bloody break :unamused: .
Call me a septic ,but Saturday afternoon ,not feeling good ,more like a excuse too not turn up Sunday after a night on the ■■■■ ,but no that never happens :unamused: .

The gas man:

dozy:

And the award for today’s knobjockey goes to !!!

Shut the F up eh

Well if I was wrong then the post would never have seen the light of day ( consigned too the random crap bin as Dennis says ) but it did so I guess the moderators see nothing wrong in my post ,I guess they’ve been round long enough like me too see the change in attitudes too illness ,and how the slightest illness means weeks off work.

Minger:

Reverse psychology: Its because we are so highly valued why we sometimes get treated like ■■■■ :laughing:

The gas man:

dozy:

And the award for today’s knobjockey goes to !!!

Shut the F up eh

Yaaaaaaasaaasasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

dozy:

Geezers need excitement,if their lives don’t provide it they talk bull ■■■■,simple bull ■■■■.

Mike Skinner,The Streets.

dozy:

And maybe thats why bin lorries go out of control and kill people?

If I feel unwell, I don’t drive, simple as… Boss can do what he likes.

If end up hurting someone because Ive been a hero like our friend Dozy, I couldn’t continue doing the job.

Years ago coming back from Blackpool lights on M6 a truck had hit the central support column of a bridge. The sight sickened me and I had to tell kids to look away. I later learnt driver dead possible heart attack. Not calling the dead and rip drive but did this driver ‘crack on’ like the old school drivers did.
Anyway Dozy why do you keep posting crap haven’t you got people to upset with your poor driving.

It’s not unknown for a problem/illness to be tolerable dozy and then get worse to the point it is no longer so the fact he waited from Thursday until Saturday isn’t really an issue without knowing the full circumstances.

Note: This post might not make a lot of sense at the moment but may do when the 3 or 4 posts dozy has made on this thread and are waiting for approval get approved, or not, in a few hours time. :smiley:

Few years back, one of ours was allegedly ‘forced’ to return to work after a period of sickness…the result?