Fedex...What are they like to work for?

Just been offered a full time position driving on nights for Fedex. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with them and could tell me what they are like to work for. I have done some background searching and they seem ok as an employer, but its always best to get it first hand from the people that know. :smiley:

Which hub/yard will you be working out of?

Iā€™m on agency running out of Gretna. Kit is good (newish Axor/Actros), people are generally pretty decent, work is easy with a bit of pallet trucking on some runs, pay is OK for the kind of work. Be prepared to hang around a lot for your return trailer if youā€™re running into Parkhouse. Like every other job some folks can get a bit snappy when things go pear-shaped but thatā€™s just life. The drivers are generally very helpful.

I will be running out of Marston Gate starting at 23:00 , not sure if on a set run yet or not.

Lol at ā€œThe drivers are generally very helpfulā€ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tidge65:
Just been offered a full time position driving on nights for Fedex. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with them and could tell me what they are like to work for. I have done some background searching and they seem ok as an employer, but its always best to get it first hand from the people that know. :smiley:

In a straight ā€œHarry Hillā€ style fight between Fedex ā€œdriversā€ and Royal Mail ā€œdriversā€, itā€™s a toss-off which ones are worseā€¦

If you canā€™t drive a lorry to save your life, it could be the perfect job :unamused: .

threewheelsonmywagon:

tidge65:

In a straight ā€œHarry Hillā€ style fight between Fedex ā€œdriversā€ and Royal Mail ā€œdriversā€, itā€™s a toss-off which ones are worseā€¦

If you canā€™t drive a lorry to save your life, it could be the perfect job :unamused: .

I will fit right in thenā€¦ :laughing:

tidge65:
I will be running out of Marston Gate starting at 23:00 , not sure if on a set run yet or not.

I can only speak for the runs Iā€™ve done so far from marston gate:-

Aylesbury, Crayford, Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Tunbridge Wells, Enfield, Leicester CO.

All straight-forward, nothing complicated. Pump-truck the stuff off the back yourself at the local depot. Marston Gate loads are done for you.

As far as ā€œDrivers are helpfulā€ are concerned, - they do step out of your way when you walk past the smoking zone, on the way to the office. Thatā€™s quite a few degrees better than ā€œwouldnā€™t give you the steam off their ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€ which is what the benchmark expectation is elsewhere perhapsā€¦ :unamused:

23:00 start could have you pretty much going anywhere among that list, and of course all the other places Iā€™ve not done as well.

If you go onto the oldtimers forum, look for bestbooties, im sure he drives for them.

Hey tidge65 take the job, Iā€™ve just clocked up 18 years for them you wonā€™t find anything better. Theyā€™re a great firm to work for. :smiley:

xEdeF:
Hey tidge65 take the job, Iā€™ve just clocked up 18 years for them you wonā€™t find anything better. Theyā€™re a great firm to work for. :smiley:

How long are the shifts generally? 11pm start would suit me if its job & knock and home early morning.

Canā€™t speak for any of the other hubs but can honestly say Iā€™ve never had any problems with the Gretna drivers or the Stoke lads that run up to Gretna and when I started going in there 4 or 5 yrs ago I was very green.

rob22888:

xEdeF:

How long are the shifts generally? 11pm start would suit me if its job & knock and home early morning.

Fedex are currently in the process of streamlining all shifts at night to be ā€œ10 hoursā€.
Iā€™ve done three weeks out of the past 6 in there, and all of them have been that. :slight_smile:

If you have to wait for the ā€œfull sortā€ - youā€™ll be getting away from MG around 02:30-03:00ish. Finish time outright depends on which depot you then go toā€¦
I used to be ā€œlast one backā€ in the yard having done a B wave Aylesbury, which would imply finishing off around 04:00ā€¦

xEdeF:

Thanks for all the good responses, have accepted the job and see how I go. They have told me its a 23:00 start and will not be doing more than 10 hrs per shift / 50.25 hrs per week. :smiley:

I have been told there are benefits such as discounts that FedEx offer their employees, not sure what they are yet but hopefully they will be of some use.

threewheelsonmywagon:

Yawn, you obviously know.
I canā€™t drive a lorry to save my life, and have been kidding them for eleven years, so several of us on here have found the perfect job.
Go for it tidge, there are more positives views on here than negatives from people who have never worked for them.

If I took total leave of my senses and wanted to drive full-time, long term guess what company would be the first to get my CV :laughing:

I really donā€™t think youā€™ll regret taking the job.

Iā€™ve only done marston gate runs with them double deckers whilst covering Tunbridge Wells.
The start time is no good to me though, so Iā€™ve stopped doing them. Takes nearly two hours to get there through the evening traffic for me on a commute. :open_mouth:
Now the hours have been streamlined down to 10 per night as well, itā€™s hardly worth getting out of bed for money-wise either alasā€¦ :frowning:
The job itself was fine though - itā€™s the overheads I couldnā€™t cope with.

Anyone living local to a fedex VOC should consider getting in there - especially if you, like myself, - prefer working nights anyways. :bulb:

Winseer:
Anyone living local to a fedex VOC should consider getting in there - especially if you, like myself, - prefer working nights anyways. :bulb:

M/G only 20 mins drive for me. Seemed an ok place when I went for my assessment and interview. Obviously going to be hectic at 23:00. Like to thank everyone for their comments and will keep you informed on how it goes.

I worked for them a few years ago and was quite impressed especially with the money,dont know if they still do it but they ran a bonus scheme when I worked there every quarterly,use to get around 400 to 500 pounds on top of what your wages were,the first time I got it I thought they made a mistake with my wages,apparently it was based on company profits the more you made for them the more bonus you got,it was a few years ago though[24 yrs to be precise]apart from that I never had any problems with them,i screwed it up for myself with minor shunts which is why they let me go otherwise I would probably be there now

M/G only 20 mins drive for me. Seemed an ok place when I went for my assessment and interview. Obviously going to be hectic at 23:00. Like to thank everyone for their comments and will keep you informed on how it goes.

Hi
Might see you there when are you starting? I do a run to Brighton start at 1.30am so might see you if you are still sitting around the chairs in the canteen are not comfortable at all lol so say hello