Fedex...What are they like to work for?

Wait for Pat Hasler & he’ll explain how he personally stopped them from going bust :unamused:

Tidge, done your disclosure yet ?

I know a driver who is starting at Scunny depot on monday, having left Fed-Ex a year ago and he hasn’t got a bad word to say about them.

Anyone ever noticed the arrow between E-X indicates moving foward.

Well it’s supposed to :unamused: I’ve been called into a few hubs of late to highlight where things seem to be going wrong.

LeedsChris:
I know a driver who is starting at Scunny depot on monday, having left Fed-Ex a year ago and he hasn’t got a bad word to say about them.

Wot’s he left for then? :unamused: :question:

Winseer:

LeedsChris:

Wot’s he left for then? :unamused: :question:

Better pay, less hours…but the job itself was horrible work involving live chickens.

LeedsChris:
Better pay, less hours…but the job itself was horrible work involving live chickens.

He left them to become a ■■■■ star?? :open_mouth:

Northamptonguy341:
M/G only 20 mins drive for me. Seemed an ok place when I went for my assessment and interview. Obviously going to be hectic at 23:00. Like to thank everyone for their comments and will keep you informed on how it goes.

Hi
Might see you there when are you starting? I do a run to Brighton start at 1.30am so might see you if you are still sitting around the chairs in the canteen are not comfortable at all lol so say hello

Staring on Monday 06/10 23:00, will have to do some paperwork and an induction of some sort but looking forward to it to be honest. :confused: I was offered a choice of either 01:00 or 23:00 start times, but didn’t know which was best so just picked the earlier one. Are all the runs at night to smaller FedEx depots and is only one drop and straight back to M/G empty?

P.s I will say hi if I see you.

Dav1d:
Tidge, done your disclosure yet ?

Yes done my disclosure came back all clean :astonished: , I suppose they got to do that because of the value of some of the loads.

I used to work for Fed Ex before them closed all the depots in the 90’s, I know they have now bounced back so it’s different.
Fed Ex was the best job I have ever had, we got paid more than any other company, free flights worldwide on Fed Ex planes, 90% discount on all other airlines (employee’s still have this perk) and amazing employee relations, I had 12 weeks per year holiday pay after I had been there 5 years. When we all got made redundant in June 1994 we got an amazing pay off (not going into the amount but I could have stayed off work for a year).
In the USA a few years back they were voted ‘Best employer’ … Of course if you are agency you won’t get any of this stuff, but stick in there and keep your nose clean and you may get to be an actual employee.
When I moved to the USA I sent a letter to Fred Smith (CEO and founder) he sent me a letter to show any Fed Ex manager telling them to employ me, I applied at Fed Ex in Albany and was told they had to employ me because Memphis gave orders. I actually turned the job down because it was 85 miles away from my house :frowning:

I take it you mean full time as in a permanent full time driver on salary? The only bad thing to look out for is ‘overtime’. You will be salaried and paid for 50.5 hours per week. Anything over that will go in the overtime pot. To get paid that pot you will have to keep that overtime, as in stay over the 50.5 hours a week, for 13 weeks, then you will get paid the extra hours at £8.75 an hour. Not good! However any extra shifts worked on bank holidays etc will give you a day in leiu, which you can take whenever you want. (they cant refuse it off).
It will all depend on the run you are given to do, If you’re under your hours, then bonus, if not then your hourly rates dropping. IIRC hourly rate is approx £11.11. They may swap your run at any time to give a shorter run to wipe out any overtime.
All in all its not a bad job. Nearly all mercedes axor and actros units (theres a handfull of erf’s and man’s oh and a couple of daf cf’s at parkhouse.) Currently a couple of ivecos either on demo or hire. Oldest mercs are 59 plates.
Easy job, hub to hub will be trailer swap. to a depot you will pumptruck the pallet and cage to the back of the trailer. Some outside customers the same.
Tends to be more sitting round than driving. If they put you on ‘spare’ you could sit in the canteen all night. Usually long queues in to the hubs, if you going to parkhouse between 22:00 and midnight it will take an hour to get in and drop your trailer! Marston Gate is similar! As has been said, the main sort goes at 2:30ish, where you’ll have 80+ trucks fighting to get through one gate!
If you have a long run out from sort, you’ll have a ‘jump jockey’ to get you an hour or so away from the hub. So no problem with running out of driving time.
Basically, if the basic salary is enough for you, and you can handle sitting round for hours, then its great!

Staring on Monday 06/10 23:00, will have to do some paperwork and an induction of some sort but looking forward to it to be honest. :confused: I was offered a choice of either 01:00 or 23:00 start times, but didn’t know which was best so just picked the earlier one. Are all the runs at night to smaller FedEx depots and is only one drop and straight back to M/G empty?

P.s I will say hi if I see you.

Induction is usual company stuff how it runs etc etc etc the purple promise is what its all about :smiley:
If you are a 23.00 start you could be going anywhere if they need a driver to cover a specific run or you could be kicking your heels in the canteen… all runs at night are to other smaller Fed Ex depots at Marston Gate each route has its own dedicated bay and will always go from that bay so no chopping and changing…they will supply a map with directions so all pretty easy when you get there its a case of pumping off the work to the rear of the trailer and the forkie takes it off some depots make you take empties back either a full trailer or maybe just a handfull
the only time you might have to do 2 drops is after end of sort has gone and they still have work left in hub in which case they will load a trailer accordingly so for example they would say go to Slough first then on to Camberley

…and I may well see you across Christmas, now I’ve decided I’d rather work @ fedex than RM this year. :grimacing:

Just finished 3 weeks of night trunks down to Parkhouse, next week is days running up to Spicers (Glasgow) for a trailer swap, after that who knows I might get to meet some of you in the run up to Christmas.

I worked for them when I was 21 as a van courier , found them more than ok to work for . That was over twenty five years ago , so no help now , but I can only add a positive .

LeedsChris:

Yeah after the muppet completely wrote one of the trucks off then decided to work somewhere else. Shows how desperate they need drivers to re-hire him with his rep. I doubt he will get a warm reception from other drivers at M/G next week or especially at Parkhouse the week after when he go’s to Leeds.

The full time employed drivers are salaried, not sure what the money is, but it’s not to be sneezed at.
I came with the agency that was bought out by FedEx about six years ago. FedEx then gave us all our P45 as they did not like paying agency rates, then a contract as a casual driver, on zero hours, same hourly rate, which is the best money in this area.
Obviously the salaried drivers don’t like too many long runs, but normally long runs during the week are covered by paired drivers, one doing the long run while the other does a short run day about, then change over the following week. But as an hourly paid driver only doing two night trunks a week, I prefer the long runs.
I have only wanted to do two shifts a week and have never done less, I have helped out when a camper has not turned in at short notice by covering for a couple of days.
Those drivers who are on as casual get offered full time jobs as they become available.
If you are a regular driver, there are occasions when fixed runs are posted for anyone to apply for.

theringmonster:

LeedsChris:

Yeah after the muppet completely wrote one of the trucks off then decided to work somewhere else. Shows how desperate they need drivers to re-hire him with his rep. I doubt he will get a warm reception from other drivers at M/G next week or especially at Parkhouse the week after when he go’s to Leeds.

Seemed a decent bloke to me, not your typical cocky know it all driver.He was cleared of any blame over the accident last year.Fed-Ex must think well of him to set him back on.