Farmers Rant

It must be that bloody time of year again.

Here’s a couple of questions.

How much can you legally tow behind a Fastrac?

How much would a 45’ triaxle step frame on an a-frame dolly weigh when it was loaded to the max with straw?

I got stuck behind one on Saturday doing 20mph, that’s an unheard of speed for a Fastrac so I’m thinking that it was well in excess of what it sould have been. And it was probably being driven by someone aged about 17 with just a car licence.

And is it really necessary to track your f-ing '09 plate combine along the A12 today at 5.30pm with '09 plate tractor as ■■■■■■ vehicle, I expect that being farmers means that because they are so poor they can do this when I’d need a wide load permit that would only allow the movement off peak, and only after I’d had suitable rest breaks and not been harvesting for the last 36 hours flat out.

Rant over, but farmers do ■■■■ me off sometimes.

Perhaps he was French “en grève” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They’re like lorrys, they shouldn’t be on the roads when normal traffic is. Just allow them on the roads at night when its quiet :smiley:

Mike-C:
They’re like lorrys, they shouldn’t be on the roads when normal traffic is. Just allow them on the roads at night when its quiet :smiley:

Too right, after all it’s not like we actually NEED the cereals they’re harvesting to make food out of. Bread is a luxury isn’t it? :wink:

Paul

I bet they wish they had been cutting for 36 hours with the way the weather has been and how do you expect them to move equipment fly from field to field , probably held you up for 5 mins is that realy a hardship

I’m not bothered about getting delayed by a minute or two as I do realise that I create a similar problem to car drivers sometimes. It’s just irritating that in haulage we are so tightly controlled about what times we can go to which places, then out comes old McDonald and does exactly what he wants, when he wants. Surely the Fastrac was overloaded, OK so he was hardly breaking any records but is it safe?

Still makes a change from the crappy old trailers that look as if they’ll disintegrate before the journey’s end.

It’s nothing personal I hate everybody, today was the farmers turn. :laughing:

Had one down this way a couple of weeks ago that had been tugged by VOSA.

8wheels:
It must be that bloody time of year again.

Here’s a couple of questions.

How much can you legally tow behind a Fastrac?

How much would a 45’ triaxle step frame on an a-frame dolly weigh when it was loaded to the max with straw?

I got stuck behind one on Saturday doing 20mph, that’s an unheard of speed for a Fastrac so I’m thinking that it was well in excess of what it sould have been. And it was probably being driven by someone aged about 17 with just a car licence.

And is it really necessary to track your f-ing '09 plate combine along the A12 today at 5.30pm with '09 plate tractor as ■■■■■■ vehicle, I expect that being farmers means that because they are so poor they can do this when I’d need a wide load permit that would only allow the movement off peak, and only after I’d had suitable rest breaks and not been harvesting for the last 36 hours flat out.

Rant over, but farmers do ■■■■ me off sometimes.

This is from memory, so prob not 100% accurate.

The max gross for an agri tractor and trailer combi is about 25t (can’t remember the actual figure its 24.somthing), so the fastrac would be about 9t, the trailer about 5t leaving a payload of about 11t. I think its about 3 big square bales to the ton so he could carry about 33 bales. As for the speed, he’s actually complying with the law, an agri tractor should travel at no more than 20 mph on the UK roads.

The combine question, well I don’t think he was too happy about moving it at that time either, but with the current weather needs must. We move alot of large stuff and try and do it a quiet times, not so much as to lessen the inconvienece as to make it easier for us with less numpties about. But with the british climate when the weathers there we have to go, period. Yes I agree with the 36 hr quote, but think you’ll find it doesn’t happen that much, after all would you put some one who had done 36hrs straight behind the wheel of a £200,000 machine.

the following info came from
ive highlighted the important info in red

hope it helps

Here

Agricultural Tractor (mounted on wheels) & Trailer (Cat.F){Cat.F does not have a +E sub category}
C&U: Maximum weight = 24 390 kg, So a loaded trailer with a 12000kg capacity,

unladen weight of 5900 kg towed by a tractor weighing 6500 kg

would be overweight for the public highway.*

Agricultural tractors for C+U and STGO purposes may be defined as

Motor Tractors (<7370kg) or Locomotives (>7370kg)

[1991 advice: The minimum age for driving an AMV / land locomotive over 7370kg unladen weight is 21 years.]

Agricultural motor vehicle maximum length = 12 metres

When towing 2 or more trailers maximum length of towing AMV reduces to 9.2 metres

Agricultural vehicle combination (one trailer) maximum length = 18.75 metres

Agricultural vehicle combination (two trailers) maximum length = 25.9 metres

Only one trailer may exceed 7 metres

A locomotive may tow three trailers - all trailers must be 7 metres or less

When towing 2 or more trailers they must be unladen

Agricultural vehicle combination maximum width = 2.55 metres

This may be exceeded providing conditions are complied with*.

2.55 - 3 m = 20 mph speed limit

3 - 3.5 m = 20 mph speed limit + police notification (24 hours before journey)

3.5 - 4.3 m = 12 mph speed limit + police notification (24 hours before journey) + ■■■■■■ required
If you only hold provisional entitlement to category f you may drive unaccompanied

as long as your tractor is not constructed or adapted to carry any passenger:

Tractors with passenger seats require provisonal licence holders to be accompanied

by a full licence holder who has held the category for 3 years and is at least 21 years old.

Most categories require a full licence to tow a trailer.

You may tow a trailer with a category f provisonal licence.

(At age 16, with a category f provisonal licience you may only drive on the road when

going to, taking or returning from the driving test.)

At 16 you are restricted to a maximum width of 8’ (2.43m) and any trailer towed must be

either 2 wheeled or 4 wheeled close coupled type i.e. the axle centres are no more than 840mm (~32") apart.

Provisonal licence holders must display L-plates.

I seem to remember that when the JCB Fasttrac came out,the sales pitch was that it would not cause delays when on the highway as it was designed to run at 45 mph,and I must admit,I’ve seen them running solo at that speed.Whether or not this speed is legal or safe when loaded is another question.

I think the law was changed with regards to the Fastrac, as its fitted with suspension, most normal tractors are not, hence the speed difference…

I dont mind getting held up behind a tractor, but I do object when they have a Q of cars and wagons behind, and past the empty they go continueing to hold every one up, there is a law in the Highway codes about that, in so much as they have to pull over to allow passage for faster vehicles… Glad that does not apply to us at 40mph Watch the do gooders bite!! :wink:

as far as i know if the fasttrac is licenced as an agricultural tractor and runnin on red then the speed limit is still 20mph the suspension and air brakes mean nothing unless it taxed different and runnin on derv under an “O” licence

Fair play if they can pull that sort of load legally, it just looked just a huge load that I doubt it could have come in under the weights. I’d of thought a triaxle stepframe plus dolly would have come in at more than 5t too.

It just riles me when they blatantly ignore what little regulation is aimed at them, they neve ever seem to get caught doing it either.

farmer:
as far as i know if the fasttrac is licenced as an agricultural tractor and runnin on red then the speed limit is still 20mph the suspension and air brakes mean nothing unless it taxed different and runnin on derv under an “O” licence

The O license and red thing is a hire or reward thing, I believe. You’re ok on own produce within a radius of base. The trailer though must have Air brakes and full suspension.
Sorry if this is wrong, but this is the law as I understand it. I know I need to run on white, when I’m on winter maintenance (gritting) for the council, don’t need an O license, (although I’ve got one, the fastrac isn’t specified)
Aye and they should get in laybys when there’s a queue of traffic behind em, as we should move over and let a few cars (and Irish trucks :wink: ) past when it’s safe on A roads.

there’s one about that travels up and down the A1 near grantham/newark somtimes haulin a trailer and it must be doing near 50mph as sometimes i’ve slowly overtook it :blush: :blush: with me doing 53mph on the limiter at the time. Some fastracs must be able to do at least 50mph :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

pecjam23:
there’s one about that travels up and down the A1 near grantham/newark somtimes haulin a trailer and it must be doing near 50mph as sometimes i’ve slowly overtook it :blush: :blush: with me doing 53mph on the limiter at the time. Some fastracs must be able to do at least 50mph :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yeah!
There’s an 85k variant mine’s a 65k one, and that’s fast enough for me

Tractors, combines & Morrison drivers all a pain in the ■■■■. The latter is harder to pass as he sits on the white line.
Try the A9 any night

renaultman:

farmer:

The O license and red thing is a hire or reward thing, I believe. You’re ok on own produce within a radius of base. The trailer though must have Air brakes and full suspension.
Sorry if this is wrong, but this is the law as I understand it. I know I need to run on white, when I’m on winter maintenance (gritting) for the council, don’t need an O license, (although I’ve got one, the fastrac isn’t specified)
Aye and they should get in laybys when there’s a queue of traffic behind em, as we should move over and let a few cars (and Irish trucks :wink: ) past when it’s safe on A roads.

are you sure about that, in my area all the highways gritters run on red and have an exemption certificate in the cab!

ashbyspannerman:

renaultman:

farmer:

are you sure about that, in my area all the highways gritters run on red and have an exemption certificate in the cab!

Aye it’s the hire or reward thing :cry:
The council can run on red, as they’re providing a, non profit service, we have to run on white as it’s classed as hire or reward. Unfortunately :frowning:

Just for you 8wheels, enjoy it with your pint and cheese sarny :wink: