Farmers Rant

Quality.

Henrys cat:
would you put some one who had done 36hrs straight behind the wheel of a £200,000 machine.

and farmers have the cheek to sat they are poor :open_mouth: maybe if they didn’t buy expensive 4 x 4’s as well they wouldn’t claim to be so poor

To be fair It would be sort of hard to do farming without the expensive machinery, and the only farmers I know (only about three admittedly) drive old Defenders on the farm and have a 10 year old diesel estate car for coming off the farm.

welshboyinspain:

Henrys cat:
would you put some one who had done 36hrs straight behind the wheel of a £200,000 machine.

and farmers have the cheek to sat they are poor :open_mouth: maybe if they didn’t buy expensive 4 x 4’s as well they wouldn’t claim to be so poor

Its only the same as any industry, if you don’t keep up and use the hi tech stuff available, you get left behind, a bit like the haulage industry, we all drive round in rigs costing £100k +, but we’re all as poor as church mice and not a lot better off than Fred Bloggs Transport with his 20 year old Foden worth £20 :grimacing:

welshboyinspain:

Henrys cat:

a bit like the hard up truckers with the £1000 of pounds worth of bling on their trucks :unamused:
every industry has the well of and the not so well off
i would like to see you job swap with a hill farmer for a week and see if you still feel the same

There used to be a taxation class called “Farmers Goods” which allowed the farmer to employ a bloke who could lift a ton and hardly spell it to work on the farm, ploughing and scattering etc. Then for 2 or 3 months they let them loose on the roads with a sugar beet tipper or grain trailer, occasionally sending them off with bales of hay and straw to Ingleton. Some of these farmers got wise to the fact they could make money and some even went from farming to haulage as the main business. After all when I was a lad each farm would probably have 10 men working full time. As tractors got bigger, pesticides got stronger, crops were genetically modified then the farms can be almost run on a part time basis.

It was always a bug bear around the local docks as these farm vehicles turned up, cheaper road tax, occasionally rebated fuels and cheap labour until the ministry got wise to it and prosecuted a few.

A local greenhouse operator near my home operated farm tractors pulling 36’ curtainsider trailers on a converter dolly, these did up to 4 trips per day to the customer which was about 20 miles per round trip using dual carriageways.

Links to the NFU site about farm vehicles

straw suckin,carrot crunchin,welly wearin,cousin kissin,foot and mouth spreadin,b.s.e. eatin,sheep abusin,sheep dog woofin,archers lovin,red diesel usin,ooh aar sayin,tractor drivin,john deere lovin,seed drillin,road cloggin,lay by avoidin,farmers.(bucks rant). :smiley: :wink: