Farmers blockade Farmfoods and Tesco CDC Avonmouth

The farmers seem to be working nights at the moment. Nice to see someone stand up to the supermarkets.

goo.gl/AEOcLs

Can they not do you under the terrorism act nowadays for blockades :laughing:

Good luck to them always like seeing the little guy sticking up for himself.

nice to see they bought their tractors and not the range rovers this time.

The tractors cost a lot more than the Range Rovers. Thought it was quite ironic the milk farmers complaining about going broke and turning up to a supermarket blockade in a £200,000 of brand new top of the range John Deere tractor.

They’ve only themselves to blame for selling themselves short . If it cost X to produce then don’t sell it for less, it ain’t rocket science.

Great isn’t it farmers are allowed to protest for what they belive to be right yet if a haulage contractor should use his lorry to form a protest he risks loosing his operators licence ,best of look to them anyway .

I liked Morrisons attempt to make this into a positive by selling 10p a litre dearer milk and giving that back to the farmers. However having never met a poor farmer I dont like it enough to pay the extra 10p. But kudos to Morrisons for reacting quicker than the rest.

That said I have to admire farmers pulling together on this which truck drivers couldnt acclomplish. I went out with a farmers daughter once and her milkshake was defo worth an extra 10p. In fact her milkshakes bought all the boys to the yard.

[For the old boys the milkshake reference refers to a ■■■■■■■ as per the song]
[For the even older boys a ■■■■■■■ is when a lady holds your tallywacker and rubs it till your toes curl up like jesters shoes]

Goodluck to the farmers, the supermarkets shouldn’t be allowed to sell what is pretty much an essential product at a loss just to get customers in store. Farmers deserve a fair price for something the 99.9% of UK households must use.

Although I am totally sympathetic to the dairy farmers cause, one evening a few years ago when I was making a delivery a supermarket warehouse, the farmers were blockading a road leading to another supermarket warehouse on the same estate, they apologised for the hold up and explained they were protesting about this particular supermarket buying meat products from other European countries and not buying British beef and helping out the British beef farmers and putting many out of business, all very commendable until I asked how come all the farmers 4X4’s blocking the road were foreign made, not one British built vehicle ie: Landrover to be seen, and why they didn’t buy British built vehicles and help the British motor manufacturers stay in business, I didn’t get an answer to that……but was ushered through pretty quickly.

Morrisons have done what they have for publicity purposes, and nothing else. What they are doing won’t cost them a penny, and how much publicity has it raised for them?

Heard something on the radio today, that for some reason, all the money has ended up going to the folk that bottle it, and not the farmers at all.

Dipper_Dave:
[For the even older boys a ■■■■■■■ is when a lady holds your tallywacker and rubs it till your toes curl up like jesters shoes]

Legendary [emoji23]

Farmers for action chairman David Handley,the name rang a bell so I googled it. the guy was something to do with the fuel strike in 2001? Unless I am mistaken.

PaulNowak:
Morrisons have done what they have for publicity purposes, and nothing else. What they are doing won’t cost them a penny, and how much publicity has it raised for them?

Heard something on the radio today, that for some reason, all the money has ended up going to the folk that bottle it, and not the farmers at all.

This…^^^ I don’t believe for once second a supermarket will ‘pass on’ the extra pennies etc. Publicity stunt - End of.

As for farmers driving new / top end stuff all the time…

It’s all on endless ‘chucky’.

nick2008:
They’ve only themselves to blame for selling themselves short . If it cost X to produce then don’t sell it for less, it ain’t rocket science.

Supermarkets go to farmers and say ‘we are only going to pay you X, like it or lump it’. That’s why they sell themselves short. If they didn’t, supermarkets would be off buying EVERYTHING abroad. Blackmail??

OssieD:
Although I am totally sympathetic to the dairy farmers cause, one evening a few years ago when I was making a delivery a supermarket warehouse, the farmers were blockading a road leading to another supermarket warehouse on the same estate, they apologised for the hold up and explained they were protesting about this particular supermarket buying meat products from other European countries and not buying British beef and helping out the British beef farmers and putting many out of business, all very commendable until I asked how come all the farmers 4X4’s blocking the road were foreign made, not one British built vehicle ie: Landrover to be seen, and why they didn’t buy British built vehicles and help the British motor manufacturers stay in business, I didn’t get an answer to that……but was ushered through pretty quickly.

Don’t knock 'em for that. Land-Rover shot themselves in the foot by failing to give customers what they needed; modern offerings from Toyota and Mitsubishi are not only more suited to the job but generally more reliable and durable as well as having a better load capacity than a Landy. You’d soon start crying if your boss bought a load of old ERF’s, so what’s the difference?

Fair point Sidevalve, but to take your argument to its logical conclusion you could very well say “I prefer the taste of New Zealand lamb” . Horses for courses mate (especially in Tesco’s case… allegedly :wink: ).

If you want to what the French farmer’s do to protest have a look at what they did to a Lidl in Chateau Gontier last Thursday night.
hautanjou.com/actualite-7041 … rettyPhoto
Owen

Conor:
The tractors cost a lot more than the Range Rovers. Thought it was quite ironic the milk farmers complaining about going broke and turning up to a supermarket blockade in a £200,000 of brand new top of the range John Deere tractor.

And how else are farmers meant to make silage/harvest barley/feed stock,with a horse and cart? ,no, they use tractors,duh! Maybe we should criticise hauliers who buy new wagons every 3years for us to drive and ask for a pair of oxen to pull their trailers :unamused:

nick2008:

And do what else with it exactly? Pour it down the drain? Coz there is no one else to sell it too. If they dont sell to supermarkets then they make zero. And the supermarkets know it.
The way things work is if you have something to sell,you negotiate with who is buying it so you sell at a profit and the buyer sells it on so they in turn make profit. Its simple economics
Only the arrogance of supermarkets like tesco,asda and the like deems it acceptable to force someone to sell them something at less than it costs to make just because they want to use it as a loss leader. So while they make millions in profit (and use loopholes to pay hardly anything in tax) they are expecting the farmers to sell at a loss. And thats not right.
The biggest voices moaning about the farmers are the same ones who can only see short sighted views,ie dont want to pay more than 50p for a pint of milk. But as more and more farms go out of business,or at least stop producing milk, then the supply will get less and less available. And when THAT happens,you just watch the price of milk sky rocket as it has to get bought in from abroad with ■■■■ knows what chemicals in it to keep it “good” for as long as possible.

GOG47:

Conor:

And how else are farmers meant to make silage/harvest barley/feed stock,with a horse and cart? ,no, they use tractors,duh! Maybe we should criticise hauliers who buy new wagons every 3years for us to drive and ask for a pair of oxen to pull their trailers :unamused:

Yes but how can they afford this top of the range tackle if they’re broke or they claim they are?? A haulier doesn’t go out and buy 80-90 grand units if they are skint.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
A haulier doesn’t go out and buy 80-90 grand units if they are skint.

true. But plenty of them still claim “times are tough” “work is scarce” “we’re struggling to survive in this economy” to justify offering wages of £7 an hour while also boasting of buying these same £90K wagons