Farmers blockade Farmfoods and Tesco CDC Avonmouth

The-Snowman:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
A haulier doesn’t go out and buy 80-90 grand units if they are skint.

true. But plenty of them still claim “times are tough” “work is scarce” “we’re struggling to survive in this economy” to justify offering wages of £7 an hour while also boasting of buying these same £90K wagons

Yes I can see your side of the argument also but me myself I don’t have much sympathy with farmers. I’ve yet to see a poor one. Most own brand new top of the range combines, tractors etc, got a Range Rover and 90 or 110 Land Rover parked on the drive, shag piece has a jag to run to the shops and what about the foot and mouth crisis. I’ve heard many stories from people who said there were a few farmers who ignored advice and purposely fiddled their claims or even got their farms contaminated on purpose so they could get the compo. Look on Google, a report in the Gaurdian paper claims that the crisis made 37 farmer millionaires and that came from an ex member of the Farmers Union.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Yes I can see your side of the argument also but me myself I don’t have much sympathy with farmers. I’ve yet to see a poor one. Most own brand new top of the range combines, tractors etc, got a Range Rover and 90 or 110 Land Rover parked on the drive, shag piece has a jag to run to the shops and what about the foot and mouth crisis. I’ve heard many stories from people who said there were a few farmers who ignored advice and purposely fiddled their claims or even got their farms contaminated on purpose so they could get the compo. Look on Google, a report in the Gaurdian paper claims that the crisis made 37 farmer millionaires and that came from an ex member of the Farmers Union.

“shag piece” :laughing: Love it

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

The-Snowman:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
A haulier doesn’t go out and buy 80-90 grand units if they are skint.

true. But plenty of them still claim “times are tough” “work is scarce” “we’re struggling to survive in this economy” to justify offering wages of £7 an hour while also boasting of buying these same £90K wagons

If you had to put in the hours that your average small dairy farmer has to in order to simply get by, you might whistle a different tune. Why do you think the WTD doesn’t apply to farms? Furthermore, if you think red tape and restrictive legislation is killing off the haulage industry, don’t try farming as a relief from that!

I don’t dispute that a few farmers played the system and did well out of foot and mouth; that’s offset by the hundreds whose life’s work in building up a pedigree dairy herd was decimated in a few minutes by a captive bolt. The vast majority that I know (and that’s quite a few cos I deliver to farms for a living) are ordinary working people like you and me; true, they probably inherited their farm through the family but that don’t make them rich except on paper. As for the kit; those tractors get far more abuse than even the hardest-run artics and if they fail then the job stops and that can be very expensive indeed. You might think it’s rich man’s toys; the reality is that they’re the necessary tools of the job.

Farm owner must be much more educated,much more hardworker than lorry drivers and much more another ocupation Because farm owner must have expirience to do to many many different job,make planning and more.Not big farm cant keep to many advisers .Drive tractor -it is easy job for farmer but not to many hours must drive everyday.Not to many lorry drivers can become to farm owner.It is different world.

While not trying to compare the haulage industry with farming I think most haulage firms could improve their fleet if they were given on average a £28,000 subsidy every year, until the Common Agricultural Policy is removed it is hard to feel to much sympathy for them, the CAP costs the average taxpayer approx. £400 a year in taxes.

could be worse lol

mazzer:
While not trying to compare the haulage industry with farming I think most haulage firms could improve their fleet if they were given on average a £28,000 subsidy every year, until the Common Agricultural Policy is removed it is hard to feel to much sympathy for them, the CAP costs the average taxpayer approx. £400 a year in taxes.

Most of which comes back to them in the form of cheaper foods.

Sidevalve:

mazzer:

Most of which comes back to them in the form of cheaper foods.

Possibly, however it also serves to keep out food from other parts of the world and in doing so helps to prevent some of these countries reaching a higher standard of living the end result of which can be seen at Calais, another drain on the UK taxpayer

OssieD:
Although I am totally sympathetic to the dairy farmers cause, one evening a few years ago when I was making a delivery a supermarket warehouse, the farmers were blockading a road leading to another supermarket warehouse on the same estate, they apologised for the hold up and explained they were protesting about this particular supermarket buying meat products from other European countries and not buying British beef and helping out the British beef farmers and putting many out of business, all very commendable until I asked how come all the farmers 4X4’s blocking the road were foreign made, not one British built vehicle ie: Landrover to be seen, and why they didn’t buy British built vehicles and help the British motor manufacturers stay in business, I didn’t get an answer to that……but was ushered through pretty quickly.

That’s a pretty poor argument though, there is really only one British manufacturer who makes 4x4’s and the model they make might not be suitable for what the farmer wants. Bear in mind the Defender which is now not made is not the same vehicle it was 20 years ago, reliability has gone downhill a lot in the past few years.

As my old man used to say “you never see a farmer on a bike”. If they can’t diversify they should give it up. Why should I subsidise them to live on their ancestral estates?

nickyboy:

OssieD:
Although I am totally sympathetic to the dairy farmers cause, one evening a few years ago when I was making a delivery a supermarket warehouse, the farmers were blockading a road leading to another supermarket warehouse on the same estate, they apologised for the hold up and explained they were protesting about this particular supermarket buying meat products from other European countries and not buying British beef and helping out the British beef farmers and putting many out of business, all very commendable until I asked how come all the farmers 4X4’s blocking the road were foreign made, not one British built vehicle ie: Landrover to be seen, and why they didn’t buy British built vehicles and help the British motor manufacturers stay in business, I didn’t get an answer to that……but was ushered through pretty quickly.

That’s a pretty poor argument though, there is really only one British manufacturer who makes 4x4’s and the model they make might not be suitable for what the farmer wants. Bear in mind the Defender which is now not made is not the same vehicle it was 20 years ago, reliability has gone downhill a lot in the past few years.

I find nothing wrong with Dutch milk and as for Cheddar cheese I used to regularly load that back from Germany for the British supermarkets, I will continue to buy British where I can but I do agree with you about Landrover the Range Rover was never a farmers motor but the Defender has just past the manufacture of it’s two millionth motor, and as I understand it, it is still going to be manufactured in Slovakia or somewhere, I run an old Landy coming up to two hundred thousand miles on the original engine and still pulls like a train and sails through it’s MOT without a problem….so far, as for the farmers who surrounded my motor that time it still amazes me that not one could answer my question, maybe like foreign motors, foreign dairy and meat products are better than British products, what will you be buying?

makes a mental note not to munch on my favourite Edam minis in a farmers blockade

Tris:
makes a mental note not to munch on my favourite Edam minis in a farmers blockade

+1

Tris:
As my old man used to say “you never see a farmer on a bike”. If they can’t diversify they should give it up. Why should I subsidise them to live on their ancestral estates?

why you cant become to farmer and live in luxury houses and drive Land Rover and nothing do???Why just drive truck■■?

Andrejs:

Tris:

why you cant become to farmer and live in luxury houses and drive Land Rover and nothing do???Why just drive truck■■?

Because in this country the majority of farms have been in the family for generations and are paid for to start afresh having debt on the land would make it impossible to produce a profit even with all the subsidies.

Support the farmers!
…Without them I’d have to find somewhere else to get free rubble tips now recycling places charge. :smiley:

I like the way that the media has turned people against any my one they per civet to be better off than them.
A lot on annomosity towards farmers as they have expensive equipment what do you want them to use a donkey and plough.
If you think you work long hours doing hard work a farmer will work longer and harder.
They are been shafted by the supermarkets and are stuck as they can’t just stop milking there cows.
It’s same as people sagging off tube drivers they have decent wages and conditions as they have stuck together unlike drivers.

mazzer:

Andrejs:

Tris:

Because in this country the majority of farms have been in the family for generations and are paid for to start afresh having debt on the land would make it impossible to produce a profit even with all the subsidies.

Sorri but subsidies pay in all Eu country.May be some country more or less.If no more subsidies Britsh food will be much more expensive and lost productoin level due high competition from abroad and will be much more expensive to you or me.
If farmer received subsidies when they buy more new tractor ,make building and more.So create more job for another sector.
If Goverment stop pay subsies or reduce than after to many LORRY DRIVERS lost jobs. And to many transport company go to administation.

I wonder how many of these farmers still managed to vote Conservative back in may? :confused: :unamused:

Andrejs:

mazzer:

Andrejs:

Tris:

Sorri but subsidies pay in all Eu country.May be some country more or less.If no more subsidies Britsh food will be much more expensive and lost productoin level due high competition from abroad and will be much more expensive to you or me.
If farmer received subsidies when they buy more new tractor ,make building and more.So create more job for another sector.
If Goverment stop pay subsies or reduce than after to many LORRY DRIVERS lost jobs. And to many transport company go to administation.

Food will not become more expensive don’t forget you and I are paying the subsidies the EU has no money of it’s own, it is using the EU’s taxpayers money to keep afloat a lot of businesses that shouldn’t be in business, in other areas of commerce within the EU government subsidies are illegal. If the subsidies are removed then other countries from across the world will have access to the EU market and prices will drop. The EU farming subsidies also encourage food to be produced that is not needed, in the 1980’s when many countries behind the iron curtain had food shortage the EU was destroying food tell me that that makes economic sense, and then the farmers are left to pick up the pieces. In the 1980’s this lead to the decimation of the UK and Irelands pig farming driving many to bankruptcy, over supply of milk in the world has caused this current problem yet only a few years ago the EU encouraged farmers to borrow heavily to invest in milk and now today many of them will go bankrupt