Farm deliveries

Had a few hold ups today, met this tractor and trailer in the worst place possible (who was good enough to reverse back about a quarter of a mile for me)
Had to change route as the overhead branches I was hitting were getting thicker, and the trailer is quite flimsy in terms of strength, luckily I came across a junction to turn around, then I had to sit behind a herd of cows moving from field to field for about 10 minutes.

You don’t get all this stuff delivering to rdc.s, but I sure as hell prefer it despite the tight as arses roads. :smiley:
Just thought I’d share my day . :smiley:

213347_Gallery.jpg[/attachment]

Insert relevant & predictable joke about tight arses here

switchlogic:
Insert relevant & predictable joke about tight arses here

Careful you will get Carryfast exicted.

Yea, rural roads can be fun. I dont like doing them all the time though. If I had a choice it would be a mix between Farms/RDC/industrial estates.
I think too much of either one can get a bit boring.

Main roads, lanes and tracks.
Mountains, hills and flat plains.
Tip 26 plts in an RDC, collect from 1 to 12 plts. Normal week.

Ok Franglais it ain’t Top Trumps mate ffs :unamused: . :laughing:
I was just pointing out the quaintness of working on back road tracks, meeting herds of cows going to get milked, and tractors,… like trucking in the 50s I imagine,.driving along in a Thames Trader. :smiley:

robroy:
I was just pointing out the quaintness of working on back road tracks, meeting herds of cows going to get milked, and tractors,… like trucking in the 50s I imagine,.driving along in a Thames Trader. :smiley:

I was agreeing with you and Adam.
Variety being spice etc. Constant m-way is boring, and single track lanes dont change scenery enough. RDCs are OK occasionally, but not everyday, thanks. I do get a wee adrenaline rush when committing to a 90deg blind bend on a single track lane leading to a new customer. Sounds like we have the same there. We both know how the "had bigger trucks than that up here mate" phone conversations go! As jobs go, I reckon Ive a good balance mostly.

Franglais:

robroy:

I was agreeing with you and Adam.
Variety being spice etc. Constant m-way is boring, and single track lanes dont change scenery enough. RDCs are OK occasionally, but not everyday, thanks. I do get a wee adrenaline rush when committing to a 90deg blind bend on a single track lane leading to a new customer. Sounds like we have the same there. We both know how the "had bigger trucks than that up here mate" phone conversations go! As jobs go, I reckon Ive a good balance mostly.

I don’t know but I think this one’s changed a bit in the last month or so :laughing: :laughing:

all good fun until you have to spend a night in a donkey sanctuary with 430 donkeys and a load of feed . Talk about singing for your supper - they didn’t quit all night .

20190326_073538.jpg

20190326_073513.jpg
A few more of them.

Spend some money on a decent lorry sat nav ( instead of cheap tat , ringing some farmer tractor driving) country bumpkin ) & you’d of got there without causing chaos to the rural community. Sometimes you don’t have wonder what goes on in 99.9 % of lorry drivers ( I use the term very loosely) minds
It’s no wonder we’re so despised by your normal driver

dozy:
Spend some money on a decent lorry sat nav ( instead of cheap tat , ringing some farmer tractor driving) country bumpkin )

Says the brain of Trucknet. You are really in no place to dismiss anyone’s intelligence chap. Most ‘farmer tractor driving) country bumpkin )’sic could knock you into a cocked hat with driving skill.

dozy:
Spend some money on a decent lorry sat nav ( instead of cheap tat , ringing some farmer tractor driving) country bumpkin ) & you’d of got there without causing chaos to the rural community. Sometimes you don’t have wonder what goes on in 99.9 % of lorry drivers ( I use the term very loosely) minds

You do talk some absolute boll** sometimes. We do a farm drop regularly, if you follow your prat nav it takes you a route thats totally unsuitable with a tight bend, plus takes you to the farm in the wrong direction to turn into the drive. Quick call and you get a lot better route off the ‘bumpkin’

dozy:

I never use the Sat-nav for farm deliveries. Always ring the farmer. Apart from the obvious as stated about approaching from the right direction the Postcode for the farm is invariably the same as the row of cottages 1/2 a mile away with a green lane between them and the farm. It won’t tell you that BT Openreach are digging up the narrow single track lane today or that a tree blew down the night before. or a logging company is felling a forest this week, or that the local church in the village has a large funeral with cars parked everywhere, or if you arrive before 9 you’ll meet the school bus plus many other scenarios that a sat-nav won’t or indeed can’t know about.

I used to do pesticide deliveries to farms around Norfolk and Suffolk. One of the best jobs I ever had. But being a country boy I was in my element. You dont drive like you do in a town, there is usually a hazard at some point of the day and you had to always be on your toes.
Satnavs wasn’t about in them days but I used to use a Phillips Navigator mapbook and also the Collins county map books to get around.

My present job involves a lot of work on Anglian Water rural water treatment plants that involve a lot of pushing mirrors in and clenching ones ■■■■ cheeks in and my truck sat nav does just fine with common sense. Sadly its the common sense part that seems to be lacking amongst a lot of drivers!

dozy:

:laughing:
Put your brain in gear ffs doze. :smiley:
Just have a think man.
Many of the routes and drops I have to go down are preceded with ‘Unsuitable for HGVs’ signs :bulb: …so one of your 400 quid jobs (ie 3 parts of your weeks wages :unamused: ), would be as much use to me as an ashtray on a motorbike tbh.
I manage quite well (and have done for 6 years on this job) using common sense initiative,.a map and a phone.
If I can’t get through to a farmer, I park up until I do, or ask a responsible looking local, like another farmer. :bulb: so no need for being spoon fed me old mate. :wink:

Where did I cause any chaos btw??
As I keep telling you doze, simple rule ‘brain,.gear, engage’,.and stop making yourself look a prat mate eh…just saying like. :wink:
As for being despised by your fellow drivers…speak for yourself mate.

Using post codes to find farms? :smiley: Clearly from someone that has never done farm work. Many farm post codes cover a 5 mile radius once you’re away from the villages and into the middle of nowhere. Key in the post code to googlemaps and the pin will be in the middle of a field with the nearest roads a couple of miles away.

DCPCFML:
Using post codes to find farms? :smiley: Clearly from someone that has never done farm work. Many farm post codes cover a 5 mile radius once you’re away from the villages and into the middle of nowhere. Key in the post code to googlemaps and the pin will be in the middle of a field with the nearest roads a couple of miles away.

Or the field has multiple farms near by and it’s always the smallest, most awkward farm to get to

Timberrr:

DCPCFML:

Or the field has multiple farms near by and it’s always the smallest, most awkward farm to get to

Correct on both counts.
Dozy’s getting remote farms mixed up with Tesco RDCs I reckon… :unamused: …and he still needs his 400 quid sat nav to find them :laughing:

You started it doze. :wink:

Ah yes, single track tarred lanes, they have their uses I suppose lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned the well known problem of a central postcode taking delivery drivers to a point nowhere near the desired specific address.

There is a database that exists with exact location of every address in the UK and https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/search gives 30 free searches a day.

It doesn’t really solve the problem of best access route, but nonetheless it can be useful and in the case of poor signage at some more urban locations, it can be of assistance too.