Fans of Fodens

dew:

fryske:

dew:
This has been parked near where I live for as long as I can remember. It seems really straight and tidy, yet I don’t think I’ve ever seen it move

Here it is at a show last year

TV01830-Cark. by day 192, on Flickr

That answers that question then, cheers mate :slight_smile:

She is ex Shipstones Brewery, Nottingham. The gold coloured stars next to the headlamps on the grille were their trademark - Shippo’s was called the ‘Star’ Brewery. It’s fair to say that much of their output did not live up to that billing :smiley: :confused:

Pictured in Kirkham last week

Marleyman:
Just to confirm that S39 OBF 672J was indeed a Bassett’s of Tittensor motor. Marley bought it in the early 90’s (they had run a few S39s back in the 70s) when Bassett’s sold a lot of their old stuff off. It was restored, but not by Marley apprentices as suggested. The work was done to the usual high standard by B.P.Rolls of Andover who always repainted the Marley fleet back then. The Foden and Marley’s restored AEC Mandator (JKT 732L) were often seen at shows, usually pulled by restored Volvo F12 FKE 270Y. In 2008, Marley decided to get rid of their fleet and hand deliveries of concrete and clay tiles (Burton, Keele, Beenham and Glasgow) to Wincanton (with Gregory Distribution looking after fibre cement products from Widnes and Meldreth). Sadly the heritage fleet was also a victim of the decision and was put up for sale, which also included a restored Volvo FH12 (M3MBM) one of the first in the UK with the troublesome Geartronic auto shift. The whole lot was purchased by John Mould for his Paradise Collection, and the Foden, AEC and F12 were soon repainted in his livery. The S39 has now been sold on to McGovern’s, but the fate of the other 3 ex-Marley lorries is unknown. Can anyone advise? Have to agree that the Foden would look better back in Bassett’s livery pulling a flat loaded with steel, and the Marley ones should have stayed in their original livery too!!!

I’ve recently bought VRE 372G, an ex Bassetts S36 unit, which worked up until about 1988. If anybody has any photos of this I would love to see them. I have one of Peter Davies’s and one I took in 1987 in Bassett Group livery but it originally ran in Grayswood Transport lettering.
I do plan to put back into Bassetts colour in next couple of years, but will hopefully get it out and about next year in its current form. Paul Archer (Middleton Tamworth) owned it in the early '90’s and it’s still in his colours.

171 4x2A Foden S39 OBF672J 057-09 271084 Bassett rs+.jpg

One of Kinch’s

Johnty Simmonds of Rothley…

One of Wesmores

004.jpg

F232RRY_Foden_Kinch6.jpg

Johnty Simmonds

foden2.jpg

John Holmans of Leicester

Anyone know what’s happened to these ex Smiths Bletchington units?
G561 WLY (6x4 with ■■■■■■■ 500)
S145 KLM (6x4 with Cat 455)
G reg was sold to someone up north and S reg went into preservation, apparently)

Some good pictures there Gunnerhesky

Muckaway:
Foden pictures here please! Steamers through to the last DAF cabbed imposters…

Did anyone out there ever experience this problem with these tippers? Smiths drivers of the late 70s reported that the cabs bounced like they were trying to pull wheelies? Have heard these were designed to be mixers and that this cab was re-introduced because fodens were short of cash to build new models… :question:

Hi Muckaway,I seem to remember Foden re-introducing these old cabs on tippers and mixers because they were much lighter than the current cabs being used.I’m not certain but I think they were using the S83 cabs at the time??
Regards Mark

noisy jake:
Hi Muckaway,I seem to remember Foden re-introducing these old cabs on tippers and mixers because they were much lighter than the current cabs being used.I’m not certain but I think they were using the S83 cabs at the time??
Regards Mark

Quite correct Mark. There was a need for a lightweight 6 wheeler with an easily repaired cab so these were produced, they were fitted with the Stopmaster braking system to save weight and also had a conventional rear end instead of the Foden bronze wormwheel diffs. The S80/83 cab was very easily damaged on site work, the front bumper acted like a dozer blade and most showed signs of ‘hot spanner’ straightening after only a short time in use!! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Those re released cabs though Pete did Foden no favours; They were old hat by the time McGoverns T reg came out (although Fodens must’ve had money trouble by then) and they seemed to stick with something rather than evolve (like Gardners) To be honest even upto the fibreglass cab going '99-2000 they hadn’t evolved much. The ex Smiths one you drove, and the F reg I started with weren’t a lot different to the last fibreglass ones we bought in 2000.
I loved the handling, reliability and layout of the 4000, but draughty doors that don’t fit right and heavy clutches in the late '90s? :open_mouth:
Quick question; I just carried out some vehicle enquiries via DVLA, and my S reg is untaxed, with “Export marker” set as Y. Does that mean yes it was exported?

A nice cab the S40 Motor Panels one Steve, some of our S50 half cab eight wheelers were retrofitted with them when the originals fell to pieces and they were quite comfortable. Of course I imagine that they were prone to corrosion when a few years old but ours didn’t hang around that long!

Pete.

Muckaway:
Those re released cabs though Pete did Foden no favours; They were old hat by the time McGoverns T reg came out (although Fodens must’ve had money trouble by then) and they seemed to stick with something rather than evolve (like Gardners) To be honest even upto the fibreglass cab going '99-2000 they hadn’t evolved much. The ex Smiths one you drove, and the F reg I started with weren’t a lot different to the last fibreglass ones we bought in 2000.
I loved the handling, reliability and layout of the 4000, but draughty doors that don’t fit right and heavy clutches in the late '90s? :open_mouth:
Quick question; I just carried out some vehicle enquiries via DVLA, and my S reg is untaxed, with “Export marker” set as Y. Does that mean yes it was exported?

Well those S39 6 wheeler’s were re released aimed mainly at the mixer market Nathan, short haul + maximum payload and easy repair using a cheap fibreglass kit! No fancy cab interior to get dirty either, just shove a hosepipe in the cab and give it a good swill out, they were not intended for distance work. TILCON bought loads of them and they served them well.

Never had a heavy clutch on a Foden myself, they were mostly air assisted, and the doors on mine fitted ok as I spent a little time adjusting the hinges etc though some did have a designed gap to let the ■■■ smoke escape without lowering the window! :sunglasses:

Pete.

windrush:
Well those S39 6 wheeler’s were re released aimed mainly at the mixer market Nathan, short haul + maximum payload and easy repair using a cheap fibreglass kit! No fancy cab interior to get dirty either, just shove a hosepipe in the cab and give it a good swill out, they were not intended for distance work. TILCON bought loads of them and they served them well.

Never had a heavy clutch on a Foden myself, they were mostly air assisted, and the doors on mine fitted ok as I spent a little time adjusting the hinges etc though some did have a designed gap to let the ■■■ smoke escape without lowering the window! :sunglasses:

Pete.

I think because they were aimed for the mixer market was why Smiths had problems with them. They handled terrible and were sent back (they’d never do that now re Volvo FEs :blush: ). The 3000s I drove had no problems with clutches or door fittings it was our S and V reg batches that did, which was why they bought the ERF EC. The W regs were great, save the annoying ■■■■■■■ Celect security system that armed within seconds of turning off the ignition.

Derbyshire Foden:
Some good pictures there Gunnerhesky

Cheers DF, i’ll have another dig upstairs…