Fans of Fodens

My mates and my wagons on break.

Just to confirm that S39 OBF 672J was indeed a Bassett’s of Tittensor motor. Marley bought it in the early 90’s (they had run a few S39s back in the 70s) when Bassett’s sold a lot of their old stuff off. It was restored, but not by Marley apprentices as suggested. The work was done to the usual high standard by B.P.Rolls of Andover who always repainted the Marley fleet back then. The Foden and Marley’s restored AEC Mandator (JKT 732L) were often seen at shows, usually pulled by restored Volvo F12 FKE 270Y. In 2008, Marley decided to get rid of their fleet and hand deliveries of concrete and clay tiles (Burton, Keele, Beenham and Glasgow) to Wincanton (with Gregory Distribution looking after fibre cement products from Widnes and Meldreth). Sadly the heritage fleet was also a victim of the decision and was put up for sale, which also included a restored Volvo FH12 (M3MBM) one of the first in the UK with the troublesome Geartronic auto shift. The whole lot was purchased by John Mould for his Paradise Collection, and the Foden, AEC and F12 were soon repainted in his livery. The S39 has now been sold on to McGovern’s, but the fate of the other 3 ex-Marley lorries is unknown. Can anyone advise? Have to agree that the Foden would look better back in Bassett’s livery pulling a flat loaded with steel, and the Marley ones should have stayed in their original livery too!!!

A few older Fodens

Regarding the LAY631E Mickey Mouse cab Foden that you have been discussing, my dad owed this and restored it to its original specification and sold it about 8 years ago. The lorry was from Leicester originally, Breedon & Cloud Hill quarry had it commissioned as part of a fleet of lorries. They then sold it to Paul Hyman from Ratcliff-on-Soar, where he worked the lorry for a good 20 years before letting it sit in his yard. My dad then bought it from him and had it put back to its original condition.

With the help of Charles Rhodes from Cambridge re-conditioned the top block, replaced the cylinder heads and pistons and re-conditioned the pump as to the specification of the 180 LXB engine that Breedon had specified. He then had it sign written.

This it a picture since he sold it as the owner repainted the lorry.

nzt106.JPG
nzt103.JPGA few photos of export Fodens in New Zealand.

Tyne tees yesterday

More Fodens from the Tyne Tees yesterday.

This has been parked near where I live for as long as I can remember. It seems really straight and tidy, yet I don’t think I’ve ever seen it move

dew:
This has been parked near where I live for as long as I can remember. It seems really straight and tidy, yet I don’t think I’ve ever seen it move

Looks like a show vehicle with the living quarters on the back.A nice looking example from 1967/8.
Cheers Dave.

W & J Riding Ltd Longridge

dew:

Is this a tractor unit ? & would you know if it is for sale ? Regards Larry ■■.

dew:

It would move if somone got it started !!! come on Larry

95% Sure it’s a rigid and not a Tractor Unit, it probably does go places (the condition would dictate it’s not been just left there), just it’s always back before I pass again.

dew:

Where is it located ? I would like a closer look, Regards Larry.

dew:

Here it is at a show last year

TV01830-Cark. by day 192, on Flickr

Thank you, very smart indeed, Regards Larry.

fryske:

dew:

Here it is at a show last year

TV01830-Cark. by day 192, on Flickr

That answers that question then, cheers mate :slight_smile: