Fans of Fodens

windrush:
Virtually identical to the D reg one that I had, possibly ex Smiths as well? Quite a decent two part article in Classic and Vintage Commercial mag this month/last month by Peter Davies on the S80/S83 models (the last 'proper Foden’s) as well.

Pete.

Hi Pete, This 6 wheeler has a Edinburgh Reg, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Ive just had a phone call from a very good friend of mine Roddy Patterson from Aberagie Nr Perth, he is sending me some photos shortly of a Foden he has just acquired, Its a 6 wheel D/D, Unit, I will post them on here as soon as I get them, Regards Larry.

I forgot to mention that this Foden has a 500 ■■■■■■■ engine in, Plenty of power there, Roddy also has an Ex army wrecker 6 wheeler Foden with a Roll 290 in, Regards Larry.

Craig 111:

curnock:
i drove for merlin at steelpark wednesfield on the british steel contract around that time.they used to send a couple of us down to hoddesdon a few days just before xmas to help out with our units

I remember seeing blue Fodens at Hoddy around Christmas; didn’t you guys have Powerliner Mercs as well at that depot?

Craig

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I believe that has been sold recently and made good money John? I don’t think Longson’s ever ran it though.

Pete.

The Longson Foden could well feature in the new series of Bangers and Cash the program about Mathewsons auction site, starts Thursday 8:00 pm on Yesterday Channel 25, excellent viewing for nostalgic and classic vehicles. Franky.

IMG_20201017_091836.jpg

Saw this beauty today, side of Pendle hill in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_20201017_091824.jpg

windrush:

I believe that has been sold recently and made good money John? I don’t think Longson’s ever ran it though.

Pete.

Longsons never ran it, in fact it never worked as a tipper, it was a concrete mixer for most of it’s working life and then converted to a wrecker, only becoming a tipper in preservation.

As for the price, it made over double estimate, so somebody wanted it, rumour has it that it has crossed the Irish Sea.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A large engine in that! :open_mouth: Ours had either the ■■■■■■■ 325 or, like mine, the Perkins TX 335. One od at our quarry had the ■■■■■■■ 265 L10 in his.

Pete.

acd1202:

windrush:

Pete.

Longsons never ran it, in fact it never worked as a tipper, it was a concrete mixer for most of it’s working life and then converted to a wrecker, only becoming a tipper in preservation.

As for the price, it made over double estimate, so somebody wanted it, rumour has it that it has crossed the Irish Sea.

I seem to remember it was up for around 18 grand, rather a lot I thought?

Pete.

My first Foden S 20. 150 Gardner engine, Along with a Foden 12 speed gear box, This was a great wagon to drive IMO, Of course, It Earned me a canny income as a first time owner driver, Regards Larry.

windrush:

acd1202:

windrush:

Pete.

I seem to remember it was up for around 18 grand, rather a lot I thought?

Pete.

The auction estimate was £10-12k, which the previous owner thought was optimistic, the purchaser paid within a few quid of £25k including fees and commission, £22,500 hammer price, so at least 2 people really really wanted it. David, the seller, was stunned.

windrush:

A large engine in that! :open_mouth: Ours had either the ■■■■■■■ 325 or, like mine, the Perkins TX 335. One od at our quarry had the ■■■■■■■ 265 L10 in his.

Pete.

Yes I thought that as a 365 is a 14 litre infact possibly the worst 14 litre ■■■■■■■ made ,I didn’t think there’d be enough room under a POXY 3000 cab for a proper sized engine unless the cabs been raised ,or it’s had a grill badge swap ?

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

Yes I thought that as a 365 is a 14 litre infact possibly the worst 14 litre ■■■■■■■ made ,I didn’t think there’d be enough room under a POXY 3000 cab for a proper sized engine unless the cabs been raised ,or it’s had a grill badge swap ?

In 2000 I drove L71 PUM , 8wheeler brick lorry . Small cab 3000 with Perkins 335 . That thing went like crap off a shiney shovel , pulled like a train and had a misterious habit of disengaging the limiter . I just wish someone had designed a space for the left foot . It had a 13 speed Fuller as well .

rigsby:

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

In 2000 I drove L71 PUM , 8wheeler brick lorry . Small cab 3000 with Perkins 335 . That thing went like crap off a shiney shovel , pulled like a train and had a misterious habit of disengaging the limiter . I just wish someone had designed a space for the left foot . It had a 13 speed Fuller as well .

Same engine and box as the one I had Dave, mine was on a P reg (P 207 AJU) and I had it new. I didn’t mind the narrow cab, the early ones had the same pedal layout as the 4000’s and there wasn’t much room for the feet but mine and the two sister trucks had the clutch and brake pedals set at a different angle (more vertical) and they were much better. First load I did with mine was resurfacing the road into Leek, I couldn’t believe the speed it went up Swinscoe Hill compared to my old Rolls 265 Li and it got even better when it loosened up! :open_mouth: However I left after a year and then had a D reg six wheeler with the ■■■■■■■ L10, it was like putting my right foot into a bucket of ■■■■ and wouldn’t pull your granny out of bed! :unamused:

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

At one time i was relief driver for R M C at halkyn and they had 2 3000 series 8 wheelers with the L10 275 bhp terrible lorrys compared to the w reg alphas that they also ran at the time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes I never rated the L10. Infact I collected the first one we had brand new, 1983, and there was a ■■■■■■■ fitter at our quarry doing warranty work on a 14 litre we had. He asked our TM where our furthest quarry was (Gore, near Kington) and told our TM to send it there as they were crap! It went there and had no end of problems, we never had anymore until two more arrived around the mid nineties. They were ok.

Pete.

Foden pictures here please! Steamers through to the last DAF cabbed imposters…

Did anyone out there ever experience this problem with these tippers? Smiths drivers of the late 70s reported that the cabs bounced like they were trying to pull wheelies? Have heard these were designed to be mixers and that this cab was re-introduced because fodens were short of cash to build new models… :question:

Here’s another

This must’ve been one of the earliest 3000 series?