Fans of Fodens

Muckaway:
Foden pictures here please! Steamers through to the last DAF cabbed imposters…

Did anyone out there ever experience this problem with these tippers? Smiths drivers of the late 70s reported that the cabs bounced like they were trying to pull wheelies? Have heard these were designed to be mixers and that this cab was re-introduced because fodens were short of cash to build new models… :question:

Coventry Reg that is , I wonder who had it first?

Fitted with ■■■■■■■ Celect 10litre 340bhp. This truck has a really irritating immobilizer fitted. Turn ignition off for 10 seconds, the system arms and you have to re-input the code. Tax is really low, I think it said about £280 for a year this engine must’ve been ahead of it’s time given it’s a 2000 reg, it’s also really quiet compared to the CAT C10.

Here is one posted of my Grandads Foden speed six. Awesome piece of kit.In the 1940`s a Leyland waggon and drag were broke down at the bottom of the jockey pitch outside Pontypool,fully loaded.Grandad pulled up to see if he could give him a tow.The driver said he had no chance of pulling him,Grandad said the Foden would pull six of them up the pitch no problem.He pulled the outfit up the pitch and on to Newport.The power of steam!!!

Hello everybody ,Been registered awhile ,but just stood and watched the crack…but this got me interested…here a couple I used to drive doin the beer

and this

All of mine have already been posted on the Welsh Border thread,but here they are again.

Here are a few from me, some of them might be on here elsewhere but they all fit here. The London waste is CNG powered

Not seen those ones before Dave, I reckon Foden Alphas look better than the Daf equivalent plus the rubber suspension beats DAFS creaky steel one, and the Daf engine with the sodding ad-blue? No ta, I’ll hang on to the ■■■■■ Cat thank you Mr Smith! :smiley:

Here’s a few more Nathan,mostly from this area.

Its the one in this batch Keith.

Dave,
Was the 8 legger micky mouse a 2 stroke? Am I right thinking Sharples ran some 2 stroke Fodens.

Seeing the Sharples S80 (one with FODEN on grille in big letters), what did drivers make of these? Some old Smiths drivers reckoned these were crap compared to other Foden offerings, though I used to see that sort of cab on gritters around here until recently.

Sharples drivers drove all types of Fodens right up to the Alpha’s,they drove far worse than the S80.They were a good firm and there was usually a waiting list to get on there.
Cheers Dave.

Trev_H:
Dave,
Was the 8 legger micky mouse a 2 stroke? Am I right thinking Sharples ran some 2 stroke Fodens.

I think it was a Gardner 150 Trev,not sure about two strokes,possibly,they had Gardners and Rolls,finished with Cat engined Alpha and a Hino a couple of years ago.
Cheers Dave.

Here’s some more,already seen on other threads.

Some more of Sharples.

truckfing:
Here are a few from me, some of them might be on here elsewhere but they all fit here. The London waste is CNG powered

Those building supplies Fodens are unusual David,with the lift axle where it is.
Cheers Dave.

I’ve seen a couple like it on some 3000 hanson mixers Dave, not sure what the gross would be? Would that config be for lorries with difficult axle loadings lie builders merchants where pallets are taken off the back with a load left up front (like the brewery Chinese 6s)?

Posted on south wales hauliers thread previously.[i!(http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/richgriff1/PrideofMonmouth.jpg)mg][/img] The swedish and dutch got it right. If only the idiots that ran the Briitish Lorry Industry could see the writing on the wall.Just read the Astrans Book,great read .If as Ashley said in the book that the British Manufacurers had replied to Astrans wanting a custom built lorry,maybe we would still be producing something.I take my hat off to Scania for producing a quality product for drivers predominatly,and for productivity for the owner.The haulage industry has always been a tough marketplace,you will not survive in the industry if you are not dynamic.As we all know rates are cut and haulage is not sustainably.I come from three generations in haulage,we all love lorries,unfortunatly there is no longer the spirit locally, or nationally to understand that economics are built on manufacturing a resource and producing quality.I think that most of us would like to be having an argument over the New Atkinson Ultra cab with its all new 800 bhp euro17 engine,twin splitter 18 speed gbox,air susp and scania axle.Against the All New AEC Top Rank Sleeper V8 originally derived from an engine produced in the 1960`s,now producing 850 bhp,sequencial gearbox and thankfully not a group axle.probably a scania axle also.If only they had spoken to and listened to hauliers.

Muckaway:
I’ve seen a couple like it on some 3000 hanson mixers Dave, not sure what the gross would be? Would that config be for lorries with difficult axle loadings lie builders merchants where pallets are taken off the back with a load left up front (like the brewery Chinese 6s)?

You are probably right Nathan.Radbournes of Hereford have a couple of six wheelers with a single wheeled axle in front of the doulble,they obviously downrated,but for a purpose.
Cheers Dave.

I agree. Was told that Priors really wanted a Brit to match the F88 but it never came. Could never understand why the Foden Falcon was never followed up. Daf XF cab, Cat or ■■■■■■■ or daf engine would be something,especially for low loader operators. Big mistake Fodens being axed, especially as Paccar bought Foden long before Daf.