False/broken promise by TM: Grievance or not?

If anyone remembers my personal saga…I’ve on 2 separate occasions shared my concerns with the TM regarding the amount of hours I get per week (basically, too few due to the route I’m on)

Last time he offered me a 35-ish hour/week run but I hesitated (I’m doing 30 right now so not much of a difference, I said I need at least 40), the guy next to me literally jumped into our conversation and said he wanted the 35 hours as he was doing too many at the moment (about 45 per week). I said to the TM ‘‘Can I have his route then?’’ and TM said yes, I’ll change both your routes, happy to do that.

3 weeks later I’m still on my old route and I see TM put 2 other drivers on the 45hr route, alternating each week. I spoke to the original driver a week ago asking him if he changed his mind, he said no, still waiting for TM to swap me over.

So basically TM has gone back on his promise to me for no apparent reason (I haven’t had any incidents/issues whatsoever since)

Can I raise a grievance against the TM in this case? My problem is basically if I remain on the same route I’ll have to start looking for another job because the money’s far from decent for 5 nights a week class 1. I’m still on a trial period however the 2 drivers who were assigned to the route are even newer than me, lol.

Of course you can put a grievance in, but unless you work for a heavily unionised outfit it’ll more than likely bite you in the arse! Not fair at all, but that’s life I’m afraid. From your previous posts re this TM it appears to me that he doesn’t particularly like you tbh. That’s ok though, we go to work to earn money not gather friends.

Personally I’d be trying some inverse logic; let it be known that you want to do as few hours as possible and I absolutely guarantee that your hours will skyrocket! People are strange like that.

Your face doesn’t fit. Move on.

NO you can’t.

As a TM myself, if anyone put in a grievance against me over a request, then I would contest it vigourously.

He has done you no wrong to warrant a grievance. A grievance is when you feel that a genuine complaint is not being addressed, and then you escalate your case to the next highest person, but you must be able to back it up with evidence. Your request is not a complaint, it is what it is, a request. He may have his thoughts as to why the others are doing it, and you can ask him, but he doesn’t have to tell you as it is none of your business.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear, but unfortunately as a TM, that’s how I would see it.

Ken.

Quinny:
He has done you no wrong to warrant a grievance. A grievance is when you feel that a genuine complaint is not being addressed, and then you escalate your case to the next highest person, but you must be able to back it up with evidence. Your request is not a complaint, it is what it is, a request. He may have his thoughts as to why the others are doing it, and you can ask him, but he doesn’t have to tell you as it is none of your business.

How has he done me no wrong when he promised (in front of a witness, no less) to give me another route but then didn’t and gave it to someone else instead? I’m sorry but it’s hard to not take it personal as it shouldn’t matter who gets what route unless personal preferences have been expressed which I have on 3 occasions - first when my 8 hour run was cut to 6 and then 2 more times inquiring about longer routes to which the first time the answer was ‘there are no other routes available’ and the 2nd time I’ve already explained in the OP…It’s not like I’m complaining about him not addressing my issue, it’s him pretending to be doing it and/or not following through on a promise he made. Seriously, you don’t see a mismanagement here? One driver asks for more hours, another for less - all he has to do is a route swap which he pledged to do but only did partly completely ■■■■■■■■ on one of the drivers in the process…

why don’t you and the other driver approach the TM together again and take it from there?

Murrayminor:
why don’t you and the other driver approach the TM together again and take it from there?

Because we’re on different starting/finishing times and very rarely see each other. Even more rarely when the TM is there, in fact almost never. Besides, he got his shorter run that he asked for (not mine but a different one) so why would he care/want to get involved?

ETS:

Murrayminor:

Because we’re on different starting/finishing times and very rarely see each other. Even more rarely when the TM is there, in fact almost never. Besides, he got his shorter run that he asked for (not mine but a different one) so why would he care/want to get involved?

Looks like you got the short end of the stick, if you like the job and firm try and sit down with the TM and talk through what you want, submitting a grievance will only end in animosity between you both and may have a diverse effect on your hours.

If the TM will not budge then force their hand by saying you’re looking for another job, they may, I say may, just offer you more hours rather than go through the whole interviewing process again.

Shock Horror [emoji848] a TM that doesn’t keep his word [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
ETS , your face don’t fit and your Balls are not golden so you e no chance of getting what you want

Sent from my truck

I too thinks its time for you to look elsewhere, but, i’d try to leave on good terms if possible, you might need that reference some time in the future if you have the chance of a dead mans shoes job.

ETS:

Quinny:

How has he done me no wrong when he promised (in front of a witness, no less) to give me another route but then didn’t and gave it to someone else instead? I’m sorry but it’s hard to not take it personal as it shouldn’t matter who gets what route unless personal preferences have been expressed which I have on 3 occasions - first when my 8 hour run was cut to 6 and then 2 more times inquiring about longer routes to which the first time the answer was ‘there are no other routes available’ and the 2nd time I’ve already explained in the OP…It’s not like I’m complaining about him not addressing my issue, it’s him pretending to be doing it and/or not following through on a promise he made. Seriously, you don’t see a mismanagement here? One driver asks for more hours, another for less - all he has to do is a route swap which he pledged to do but only did partly completely [zb] on one of the drivers in the process…

The problem you have, is you have nothing in writing, and to be honest, the higher management won’t give 2 shiney ■■■■■ about who does what as long as the job gets done.

As others have said, he obviously wants others to do it, and not yourself, so it may be time to move on.

Sorry if it is not what you want to hear, but you may need to look at your options.

Ken.

30 hours a week how lucky are you I’d kill for those hours thank you very much

Of course it could be as said that your face doesn’t fit and the poor TM is having to do senior management’s dirty work for them.

ETS:
Can I raise a grievance against the TM in this case?

Of course you can and since you’re on a trial period, it’ll solve your problems in one go. Ie: you’ll have zero hours.

You’ve got 2 problems here.

1. He did already offer you more hours and you turned it down. Ok it wasn’t a lot more, but he basically did partly as promised. After that he might have swapped you onto a better option.

2. The TMs job involves making sure the deliveries / collections are done, ensuring the trucks stay legal, trying to keep costs down and 101 other things.

As long as deliveries are done, it’s unlikely they care who does them. You are effectively easily replaceable, trucks and an o’licence aren’t. Its the unfortunate truth about many jobs.

Bottom line is, if you make waves then your trial period will end end you’ll need to find another job, pronto. Make waves with the TM and you’ll never get anything you ask for.

As above. Trial periods are the wrong time to be starting to put in grievances if you want to continue your employment there. By all means do so but I’d do it with work elsewhere lined up just in case the outcome isn’t what you’re expecting.

I can’t remember what you said but no doubt when you applied for the job it wasn’t 40hrs and was around what you’re doing now. If that was the case and you needed 40hrs then you shouldn’t have taken it.

Conor:
I can’t remember what you said but no doubt when you applied for the job it wasn’t 40hrs and was around what you’re doing now. If that was the case and you needed 40hrs then you shouldn’t have taken it.

I didn’t get my contract until 3 or 4 weeks after I was transferred to the company from the agency. All I heard was word of mouth from other drivers and what I was able to work out from the way the agency was paying me (post pay parity). Had I known that there is no shift guarantee once perm but rather a weekly one I think I would’ve stayed agency. Besides for the first 4 weeks as a full timer I was averaging 42 hours weekly.

Either way, I’ll try talking to the guy once again, much as I hate dealing with him. Maybe he simply ‘‘forgot’’ :unamused:

cav551:
Of course it could be as said that your face doesn’t fit and the poor TM is having to do senior management’s dirty work for them.

Exactly my thinking, even a Traffic Manager has to kowtow to his paymasters, and no man is an island, except The Isle of Man

ETS:

Conor:

I didn’t get my contract until 3 or 4 weeks after I was transferred to the company from the agency. All I heard was word of mouth from other drivers and what I was able to work out from the way the agency was paying me (post pay parity). Had I known that there is no shift guarantee once perm but rather a weekly one I think I would’ve stayed agency. Besides for the first 4 weeks as a full timer I was averaging 42 hours weekly.

Either way, I’ll try talking to the guy once again, much as I hate dealing with him. Maybe he simply ‘‘forgot’’ :unamused:

Do let us know how this goes for you. :smiley:

Question is what is your guaranteed contractual minimum hours in a working week, as long as you are getting them you don`t have leg to stand on.
Not happy with your hours or money move on,or have you run out of places that would put up with your moaning

Leave and go back in on the agency