Failure to report accident etc

Had a letter from cheshire police a couple of weeks ago, asking for details of the driver on a certain date on the M6 at junction 21
I returned the form giving my details and added on the form that I am unaware of any accident on the given date, the charges are failure to stop at scene of accident, failure to give details, and driving without due care and attention.
Early doors today had Lancashire police at my yard asking for a statement regarding the allegations against me, but he refused to tell me the details of what had happened on the day of the alleged accident as he was only told to get a statement off me and forward it to Cheshire police, I live in lancs police area.I refused to make a statement to him. but said I would attend at a Cheshire police station of their chose and make a statement.
He also asked were the vehicle was that I was driving on M6 on said day, I replied its out working, obviously he wanted to check it for any damage.
is it worth getting a solicitor involved now or wait until I know I’m actually getting prosecuted for the offences. I have spoken to Cheshire police and have been told three times we wil get someone to contact you, still waiting.

I’d get a solicitor on the case, as they might want to put that down as obstruction and use it against you. Although I can’t see how you can make a statement if they don’t give you the details of what you’re alleged to have done. I think I may have given a short statement to the effect of not recalling any unusual incidents when driving along that stretch at that time

So they’re investigating you for an alleged criminal offence, but won’t tell you what it is? Welcome to the police state my friends.

Get proper legal advice ASAP.

Captain Caveman 76:
So they’re investigating you for an alleged criminal offence, but won’t tell you what it is? Welcome to the police state my friends.

You, just as a solicitor/police station legal rep is, are entitled to disclosure for the ‘offence’ for which you are under investigation. The very minimum you have to be told, should you request it (which you should, and have) is the date and time of the ‘offence’; and the ‘offence’ under investigation.

PACE 1984

OVLOV JAY:
I’d get a solicitor on the case, as they might want to put that down as obstruction and use it against you. Although I can’t see how you can make a statement if they don’t give you the details of what you’re alleged to have done. I think I may have given a short statement to the effect of not recalling any unusual incidents when driving along that stretch at that time

On the notice of intended prosecution I filled out and returned to Cheshire police,
It has a comments section and I stated that I had no knowledge of any accident or any incident at the date and time of the alleged offences I also told Lancashire police that I was willing to go to any Cheshire police stations and give a statement to them.
He said that I would be able to have a duty solicitor whilst being interviewed
I was annoyed this morning as I had a long night run last night and had just got into bed then bang bang on the door jumped up and seen the Bobby walking down driveway
he had scaled my yard gates to access the premises/farm yard were I live
I wasn’t best pleased and told him so. We had poachers last week local farmer rang
Lancashire police and said I think they may have firearms, they replied we can’t come out because we have no firearms officers available, no problem at 7.15 this morning for an officer to knock me up.

el_presidente:

Captain Caveman 76:

You, just as a solicitor/police station legal rep is, are entitled to disclosure for the ‘offence’ for which you are under investigation. The very minimum you have to be told, should you request it (which you should, and have) is the date and time of the ‘offence’; and the ‘offence’ under investigation.

PACE 1984

Which he apparently has - Time/date and location, and the offences under consideration.

i had similar a while ago,they will charge you with a few offences,then drop 4 out of 5 if you plead guilty to careless driving or similar to make it a easy conviction for them…if you didnt know you had an accident,you cant report it or knowingly leave the scene/fail to stop.but duty solicitor would be the way to go,then you wont need to pay him to start with until youve found out whats involved.

I know this is has nothing to do with your case, but it does go to show what standard of Police work to expect.

I was talking to customer today who I have not seen for a few months. He had been on Jury service during the summer and relates that the standard of Police evidence in two cases was simply appalling, a total lack of professionalism was evident, much of their evidence was completely irrelevant, the jury asked to be given more relevant evidence, but was told that only what had been presented could be taken into account.

Roymondo:

el_presidente:

Captain Caveman 76:

PACE 1984

Which he apparently has - Time/date and location, and the offences under consideration.

Case reference number and plaintiff(s). Don’t fall for a scam.

The letter you got should have a ref number probably starting CC16… or similar. Ring 101 ask for Cheshire and ask if they can look up the ref number and get the name of who is dealing with it, then contact them directly.

Saves a lot of messing around for you and you know exactly whats going on (or should do)

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

cav551:
I know this is has nothing to do with your case, but it does go to show what standard of Police work to expect.

I was talking to customer today who I have not seen for a few months. He had been on Jury service during the summer and relates that the standard of Police evidence in two cases was simply appalling, a total lack of professionalism was evident, much of their evidence was completely irrelevant, the jury asked to be given more relevant evidence, but was told that only what had been presented could be taken into account.

Blame CPS - they’re the ones who review most cases.

I’ve often wondered what the police do, and indeed “How often” they get given a deliberately wrong registration number, or just an honest mistake in taking it down.

If you get a plate wrong by one letter or number for instance, you might well find that this “alternate” registration is another vehicle of the same type, colour, etc.

So… If plod turns up on your doorstep and says “We’ve got reports of your vehicle registered to you having hit & run killed someone in Glasgow last night” - then it still is a case of “prove it wasn’t me” rather than the police checking to make sure they’ve actually got the right number in the first instance.

I would argue that it’s essential that the police inform the would-be defendant just exactly what it is they are being investigated for.

Without that, you could be being investigated for “breathing the Queen’s Oxygen in a built-up area” or some such daft notion.

Never accept “Undefined” allegations. Ever. :bulb:

Traffic Rat:
The letter you got should have a ref number probably starting CC16… or similar. Ring 101 ask for Cheshire and ask if they can look up the ref number and get the name of who is dealing with it, then contact them directly.

Saves a lot of messing around for you and you know exactly whats going on (or should do)

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

They give a telephone number and a PCs name on the notice of intended prosecution form, I have tried three times to contact him and have been told he will ring me back
Im still waiting, I’m ringing an inspector tomorrow at Congelton police station to try and get some details about the incident/accident I’m supposedly involved in
Thanks for everybody’s help and suggestions, and no negative comments :smiley:

Any dashcam?

Had similar happen to me last year, pulled over into a gateway to let a dustcart past and he got jammed against me. I managed to separate us with just an odd scratch but my distrusting nature told me to make note of reg number, drivers’ name etc (heard the crew talking). Lo and behold a few days later the NIP came though with the usual accusations. Contrary to advice on Pepipoo and similar I wrote additional info’ on the form stating that I must’ve stopped or how could I have got so much information. A couple of days later had an answerphone message from Plod saying no further action to be taken.

yourhavingalarf:
Any dashcam?

Unfortunately no dash cam footage mate, I’ will hopefully have the details of what has allegedly happened tomorrow from Cheshire police.

They are fishing for a scapegoat you should have just returned the letter without filling out anything and put a note in sorry got wrong person, because you filled it in you gave them reason to follow up and they dont even have any evidence, so by you filling it out they will make you prove its not you, big mistake good luck

nightline:
They are fishing for a scapegoat you should have just returned the letter without filling out anything and put a note in sorry got wrong person, because you filled it in you gave them reason to follow up and they dont even have any evidence, so by you filling it out they will make you prove its not you, big mistake good luck

Had to give give my details as the truck belongs to another haulier it’s an offence not to give details, I couldn’t drop them in the s##t they had loaned me their low loader to take a couple of artic units to an auction.
Cheshire police must be on the Trucknet forum as they rang me this morning and apologised for the delay in not coming back to me, have arranged for a interview under caution and at the moment it’s only an allegation and its my word against another driver.
I

nightline:

Go back and read Pepipoo and other armchair lawyer sites. Any hint of attitute or arrogance will make things worse.

could it have been one of those scam for cash merchants…saw you passing, took your registration, and reported to the police…just a thought…good luck with your case though.