Failed hazard perception, but seen all hazards

Hello all :slight_smile:

Today I sat my theory, it was my multiple choice and hazard perception test.

Having passed my car ones 2 years ago easily and practising loads for this one, I went in there feeling quite confident. I passed multiple choice quite easily but I failed on my hazard perception. Which I found weird because I seen every single hazard and pressed in very good time.

On the scoring sheet, most were a mixture between 5 points per clip, or 0. When I did my car theory it was video footage, filmed with an actual camera, for the hazard perception, but it’s obviously changed now and it’s all CGI. It’s like it’s slow motion or something so it’s very easy to see the hazards.

I’ve been practicing on an app and on a PC program, they use a mixture of the videos recorded (with a camera) and some of the official CGI clips. On the video camera ones I generally get good passable scores, but on the CGI ones I often got 0 because I was spotting the hazard and pressing before it was a hazard, so too early.

I think this is what’s happened on the test today, it’s because the CGI ones are as if they are slowed down so it makes it easier because the hazards are happening much slower. In the app I managed to pretty much get around this by pressing, then pressing again a second or so later, making sure I was in the scoring range. But in the test today I felt a bit paranoid about voiding so I didn’t really want to press too much (apparently their software can pick up patterned clicking and void your clip score, and I thought maybe my double clicking may have been picked up by this, so I single clicked the test).

Has anyone ever experienced this while practicing on them or doing the test? Any thoughts on this would help :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve had to rebook my hazard perception test, the next one I can do is a week on Thursday at 6:45pm. I just realised, though, that part of the driver CPC is sat in the test centre too, so would I be better off changing it so I can do them both the same day? I haven’t even looked into the CPC properly, I know one is test and one is not. If I booked the test CPC one for the same day, could I pass knowing what I already know from the multiple choice? Or shall I wait and learn the necessary information?

Sorry for the absolute essay of a question,

Thank you for any answers :slight_smile:

Hazard perception is the nasty and stupidly designed one as it it fixed on a 5 second period, but can’t understand that you might actually genuinely spot a hazard slightly early. Mind you, this was devised by the DVSA so we can’t expect too much.

As for how to get around it - I read an awful lot on this and the general opinion seemed to be do the first click when you think the hazard appears, then a second click a second later like you did in the practice. It doesn’t seem to trigger the click fraud system according to what I’ve read, and it worked for me going by some of the scores I got.

The click fraud thing seems to be looking for rapid clicking over and over, and from what I’ve been told at least it will tell you that you’ve been zero’d for that question after the hazard video is over. If you didn’t see a message, you most likely just clicked slightly too early for those 0 scores.

CPC is a little confusing especially when you look at the DVSA web site. I think the bit you’ve seen is “CPC module 2” which is based on the original theory test but takes a single senario and asks a few questions about that. You could book them at the same time or do them all seperately, entirely up to you.

As for revising, I used the drivingtheory4all web site and their module 2 practice which is helpful, although based on what I then saw in the test, I think it’d have been just as simple to use the knowledge from the theory test. The web site can over complicate things, but could still be handy to give very indepth information.

Just to clarify CPC, it covers all the parts of getting your HGV commercial licence:

• Theory and hazard (CPC mod 1a and 1b)
  • Case studies theory (CPC mod 2)
  • Practical test (CPC mod 3)
  • Practical demo test (CPC mod 4)

There you go…an essay of an answer.

PS: When Peter comes by, I’ll probably get my wrist slapped for dissing the DVSA…they are useful, for finding decent driving instructors just not for anything IT related. :slight_smile:

Pity it didn’t work out - but you’ve answered your own question

In the app I managed to pretty much get around this by pressing, then pressing again a second or so later, making sure I was in the scoring range. But in the test today I felt a bit paranoid about voiding so I didn’t really want to press too much (apparently their software can pick up patterned clicking and void your clip score, and I thought maybe my double clicking may have been picked up by this, so I single clicked the test).

Click when you see the hazard, count to 2, then click again. This always works.

Many folks pass their Mod 2 cpc having studied only for multiple choice. It uses mainly the same information but in the form of scenarios with questions. So might well be fine with it.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As for Hazard perception test, I did it this way - the I spot a hazard, I just click 3-4 times a second gap between.
It worked for me - 85 of 100.
Good luck

Its nothing to do with spotting potential hazards, its about hitting the button when a hazard begins to develop. The scoring window i believe is different for each clip, sometimes a second or two, sometimes more. I was an approved driving instructor for 24 years and i will always remember a lovely lady i taught who was in her 60s and never saw bloody thing when we were driving getting a higher score on her hp test than i did !

Thank you all very much for your replies. Thanks for clearing that up TrevHCS. I’ll do the double click.

I have rebooked my hazard perception for 10th December 6:45pm and my Mod 2 CPC test for 22nd December 6:15pm. Short notice bookings at this time of year isn’t the easiest, shame I couldn’t get them for the same day, it’d have to be January which I don’t really want to wait for so I’ll have to settle for scattered dates on weekdays after work…

Hardest part will be finding parking, don’t know if anyone’s been to the Chester testing centre, but the car park is nonexistent.

Sorry to hear you failed.
It’s a ■■■■■ test!!
Did you practise before hand using the online video clips?

Differential:
I often got 0 because I was spotting the hazard and pressing before it was a hazard, so too early.

had similar problem. solved by a second / third with a 1.5-2 seconds gap as Pete says

MickyB666:
Sorry to hear you failed.
It’s a [zb] test!!
Did you practise before hand using the online video clips?

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Yes I practised quite a lot, the programs I used use a mixture of both camera video clips and the official CGI clips, I found it helpful. And I was good at it. As I said I passed the car one with ease and the HGV practise ones with ease too, but in the actual test I couldn’t double click so some were too early, or at least I assume that’s what has happened. That’s all I can think of giving that I seen the obvious hazards in very good time.

Priest:

Differential:
I often got 0 because I was spotting the hazard and pressing before it was a hazard, so too early.

had similar problem. solved by a second / third with a 1.5-2 seconds gap as Pete says

Cheers for the reply :slight_smile:

Yeah hopefully that will work for me too, we’ll see on the 10th I guess :slight_smile:

Hi i failed 3 times was bemused why as used online test and passed every time,

You have to click as soon as the car is coming or the hazzard is on its way basically 2 seconds before it is actually anywhere near i hazzard.

Pm me your address and i will post the offical dvla test dvd to you, you use your remote to click for hazzard and it scores you after usind dvd. 4th time i got 85% and passed.

A lot of these online tests are not accurate so only use the dvla ones.

I have no need for dvd now as all passed and got class 1 now so happy days.

jaybpool:
Hi i failed 3 times was bemused why as used online test and passed every time,

You have to click as soon as the car is coming or the hazzard is on its way basically 2 seconds before it is actually anywhere near i hazzard.

Pm me your address and i will post the offical dvla test dvd to you, you use your remote to click for hazzard and it scores you after usind dvd. 4th time i got 85% and passed.

A lot of these online tests are not accurate so only use the dvla ones.

I have no need for dvd now as all passed and got class 1 now so happy days.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I thought it would be the timing so glad others have experienced this and I’m not too much of a rare case…

I’ll PM you now :smiley:

Cheers.

No probs just messaged you now.

Remember it is what they think is a hazard so could be that person walking a mile down the path that could be the hazard so how do you know you seen every one :question: as there is so many in just 1 clip

As said click count to 5 click again & so on

On every clip there is only 1 hazard per clip apart from 2 were there is 2 hazards I no there is a lot of things that can be a hazard but only one will turn into a actual hazard what it will be scoring you on Sept two of the clips were 2 hazards will develop

animal:
Remember it is what they think is a hazard so could be that person walking a mile down the path that could be the hazard so how do you know you seen every one :question: as there is so many in just 1 clip

Because the hazards are insanely obvious. It’s definitely the timings and not the hazard itself. Anyone who’s sat the test can see how obvious they are :slight_smile:

Differential:

animal:

Because the hazards are insanely obvious. It’s definitely the timings and not the hazard itself. Anyone who’s sat the test can see how obvious they are :slight_smile:

They are not all obvious & yep I have sat 1 my son has sat 3 ( never failed any as you need to do 1 for every licence you take )

animal:

Differential:

animal:

They are not all obvious & yep I have sat 1 my son has sat 3 ( never failed any as you need to do 1 for every licence you take )

Maybe I got the easy ones. Usually the videos selected are a mix of easy ones and ones that are a bit harder to notice. On mine they were all very easy to spot so maybe I got lucky, and then unlucky :slight_smile:

Differential:

animal:

Differential:

animal:

Maybe I got the easy ones. Usually the videos selected are a mix of easy ones and ones that are a bit harder to notice. On mine they were all very easy to spot so maybe I got lucky, and then unlucky :slight_smile:

Possibly I know my son bought 1 of the harder ones to pass on 1 of his test as I said they are computer generated so not alway the obvious

Maybe you did get lucky or maybe you didn’t notice all

Good luck with the next test

animal:
Possibly I know my son bought 1 of the harder ones to pass on 1 of his test as I said they are computer generated so not alway the obvious

Maybe you did get lucky or maybe you didn’t notice all

Good luck with the next test

Thank you :slight_smile: