Failed cat C test today :( One stupid mistake

Just got home after failing my first attempt at the category C practical driving test because of a stupid mistake. I was extremely nervous and totally forget one important thing - I didn’t move over to the left when driving forward up to the cones on the reverse exercise and ended up hitting the cone at the rear of the vehicle when I started turning and reversing. The examiner told me to start again and I completed the reverse flawlessly on the second attempt, however I knew I had already failed and we hadn’t even left the yard yet :frowning: I was going to ask him if there was any point in carrying on with the test but decided just to get on with it and I’m glad that I did. The rest of the test went very well and I only picked up 6 minors, 3 of which were for hesitation. Got back to the yard and was given the inevitable news that I had failed. I am absolutely gutted because it was such a stupid mistake, the reverse excercise was probably the thing I was most comfortable with because I nailed it first time during my training and we decided that it didn’t need any more work. Now it’s looking like it’ll be July 12th before I can get a retest and I’m worried that I’ll forget what I’ve learnt and won’t be used to the vehicle when I get back in it in four weeks time. I wish I could take another test tomorrow or next week because I know I can do it, but that is looking unlikely unless they get any cancellations. Had a brilliant few days at Peter Smythe Transport Training, and I passed my CPC mod 4 test last Thursday with 95%, was really hoping for a happy ending today though. Off to drown my sorrows now before returning to my soul destroying job tomorrow. :frowning:

Hard luck, sure it’ll all come back to you when you get in the lorry again, good luck with the next one

Hi. I’ve sent you two pms. Ignore the first one (I’m not good on computers) but please read the second one.

To help everyone with the reverse: it’s vital that the “first position” is correct i.e well to the left and well forward. When the examiner shows you the picture of the exercise, the truck appears to be central between the top two cones (A cones). You must ignore this. Keep to the left!

Best of luck all. Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

My wish has come true, just secured a retest for next Tuesday morning thanks to Mr Peter Smythe. Very much appreciated Peter and thank you for the advice, the truck will be so far over to the left on Tuesday it will almost be in Kirkby (but still within the cones ofcourse!). I cannot thank you enough. If anybody is looking for top notch training, facilities and vehicles from a trainer who offers a truly personal service, look no further than Peter Smythe. I just need an excuse to skive off work on Tuesday now, bearing in mind they have no idea that I am doing this, suggestions are welcome.

I just need an excuse to skive off work

FLU?

Thanks for the comments. That’s the difference between an old fashioned trainer who actually cares about his customers and money takers who don’t give a [zb].

Good luck for Tuesday. Pete S

Flu is too obvious and already widely used by my colleagues. I was thinking of something more imaginative like “I can’t come to work today because some numpty ran over my foot in a lorry while doing a reversing exercise because he wasn’t over to the left enough, I’ll be back tomorrow.” or something along those lines.

Hi S.C.F Sorry to hear that but next time eh ! and great that you got a fast retest . well said Peter got my cat C 29th this month i just wish i was in peters catchment area when i asked my instructors school about getting a cancilation i was told oh its if we got the time to do it or not ( but bet he has time to spend the money from LVP grant ) they better be a bit faster with my C/E test date or i’l take my time signing the grant relise form . anyway best of luck for next test . :laughing: … as for exuse well look at it this way if you pass next time will you realy give a dam lol nope you will be to happy to care . :laughing:

Hard luck mate, good luck for the re-test, when i did mine i got right over to the left cone and was that close to it i could see it in the mirror which is over the nearside window, this worked for me because i passed.

Good Luck and take it nice and steady, don’t worry about minors for hesitation, as is always stated on here it is better that than a fail for pulling out too quick and causing another vehicle to have to slow down.

John.

good luck for your next test. I know exactly how you feel, all of my fails have been on silly things, like hitting the barrier on the reverse, clipping a kerb, hitting the n/s mirror on another truck etc :unamused:
You’ll get there in the end, dont give up.

sorry to hear about the fail, i had my class 2 last friday and thankfully i passed with 8 minors, was a bag of nerves tho, goodluck for next week mate, ive got my mod 4 monday morning paking my pants tho because need to pass as i aint working at the mo so skint.com, cant wait to hit the road in my new career.

Tell them you have to have a nerv test:)

Sorry to hear that S.C.F but by the sound of it your overall test result wasn’t bad at all, good luck, hope you get it next time mate :sunglasses:

Good luck on next test :smiley:

charliebear:
good luck for your next test. I know exactly how you feel, all of my fails have been on silly things, like hitting the barrier on the reverse, clipping a kerb, hitting the n/s mirror on another truck etc :unamused:
You’ll get there in the end, dont give up.

Silly things■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’d hate to see what you class as serious :open_mouth:

What about telling them the truth…? Some bosses won’t mind its not like your taking the entire day off is it. All you need is a couple of hours.

If not I’d go with someone reversed over your big toe whilst not staying left enough :smiley:

Goodluck for your next attempt and I’m sure you’ll pass with ease :wink:

Good luck with your next test :smiley: , pleased to see that you took the opportunity to continue your with your last test, it’s all practise & may help as a nerve calmer too :wink:

Thanks for the support everyone. Tuesday can’t come fast enough.

i done exactly the same thing on my c+e i was that nervous touched the cone done the reverse again perfect second time,went on test route only got 2 minors but was still a fail, if nothing else it gave u a bit of practice on the test next time you’ll know whats expected of you and with a bit of luck you’ll get the same route as i did dont dwell to much on mistake and just take it a step at a time good luck with your next test

If anybody is looking for top notch training, facilities and vehicles from a trainer who offers a truly personal service, look no further than Peter Smythe

I also took my class2 with Peter Smythe and it is as you say first class, I have heard some horror stories about various other companies but Peter and his staff are a class act inparticular Mick a real nice guy who puts you at ease and used to make me laugh he really cares and takes it personally and if you fail. Good luck with the retest mate.I have been on the road tramping now for 4 months in a Iveco Stralis and love it hope you will also.If you see Mick give him my regards. Brian

Just got home after my second attempt and I have passed! The test was an absolute nightmare and I was convinced that I had failed. When we got back I slumped over the steering wheel and waited for the bad news only for him to say I had passed! I honestly thought he was joking.

During the test I kept glancing over at the examiners sheet and saw lots of marks (a mistake I know), I thought they were all serious faults and another fail, but they were just his tally of minor faults. My driving was nowhere near the standard of the last test, in my opinion it was crap. I messed up the reverse again, had to take a shunt and stalled the truck at a junction amongst other things. I just wanted to get back to the yard and get my next test booked. To find out that I had scraped a pass with 11 minor faults was a massive shock and it still hasn’t sunk in. I keep having to have a look at my certificate to make sure it’s true.

A big big thank you to all the guys at Peter Smythe Transport Training.