Failed c+e advice needed

Hello all i failed my c+e for the second time today in birmingham this time i made more mistakes then the first time 1st time two minors one serious, today two serious 7 minors i only had 35 mins drivin the truck before test today, last time was my 12 hours training 3 weeks ago, im now thinking of booking a retest somewhere quieter with less traffic with somemore training but going to have to learn more routes and different truck etc what do you think? If anyone thinks its a good idea do you no anywhere quite near the midlands cheers

What were the serious faults?

Pulled put on a rounderbout (again) making a car slow down and going in bus pane which had ended but then started again and i couldnt move back over again in time because of traffic totally my own fault but ive not been down that section before

I took my PSV in Brum, but took my HGV at Featherstone test centre near Cannock.

Whilst Featherstone itself is more rural, you will still encounter busy roundabouts, traffic lights and all the other stuff in a hour plus run from there. There used to be a test centre on the outskirts of Kidderminster, that might be slightly more friendly traffic wise.

i’d try Scottish Highlands 3steps,at around 4 am :wink:

Sound like you were put into test too early. 12 hours training and then only 35 minutes in a new to you truck :unamused: new training school I would advise.

Try order picking.

As far as errors go theres always an element of luck in these tests but there are things you can do to reduce the luck element, as far as roundabouts go these can be in the lap of the gods a bit but try when your out in your car to get a feel for where the buggers are going forget the ones that indicate (fewer and fewer now) and focus on those that don’t. The bus lane thing is a bugger though, easy in hindsight to say you should have stopped but concentrate on your forward planning a bit. Perhaps indicating a little early might help but easier said than done when your nervous.

Theres always this making progress catch 22 situation but don’t give up, reckon if I was in test conditions everyday I would fail well everyday to be honest.

In the real world with 40 + ton of truck the last thing I want to do is stop dead at a roundabout but if theres something coming I have to (well unless its a BMW / Audi / Mercredes).

Perhaps getting in the mindset of enjoying the drive rather than worrying about passning or failing may help.

Cheers for the advice i drive a class 2 during the week ive been practising in that but its not the same im defo going to go again both times ive passed the reverse thinking thatd the hard bit out of the way and messed up on the road i passed my class 2, 1st time last year and thought i would would do the same in class one lol

Sorry keep forgetting its C before C+E now…
No matter don’t give up, artics aren’t difficult really its only the test day where virtually everything has to go your way for a clear run in busy city traffic…

Cheers dd do you think i should go for it again in birmingham?

Sorry to hear about failing

I remember years ago, during the training they would take you down every known test routes and as I believe the DVSA changed all of that, so there is no specific test route now

Passing the test is down to skill, time of day, etc etc etc … I mean my class 2 was spent sat in traffic for 20 minutes, heavy traffic … actual driving was only about 20mins in all…
It’s a simple case as other road users don’t seem use the indicators at roundabouts, thats why I decking hate them, even when I did my test…

3stepsaheaduk:
Cheers dd do you think i should go for it again in birmingham?

To be honest try Featherstone (as mentioned), if I remember correctly I was taken round Willenhall and had to mount a roudabout kerb due to a broken down vehicle, I informed the examiner first and he said OK, but I thought at this point I had failed anyway so relaxed and carried on. To my surprise I passed.

If you can remove your fear of failing (lets face it you have failed before) and enjoy the drive relaxed (not too relaxed but alert) and look ahead as far as possible you will be surprised at how easy it is too pass. Still need a bit of luck on roundabouts though… :slight_smile:

Edit: I should add that driving a lorry is easy, driving a lorry safely without worrying about timescales / delivery schedules etc and even holding back in order to let another vehicle through in order to give oneself more room and dare I say not being up the arse of the vehicle in front on the limiter is an art in itself… this seems to be lost on a lot of folks I see on the roads today.

3stepsaheaduk:
Pulled put on a rounderbout (again) making a car slow down and going in bus pane which had ended but then started again and i couldnt move back over again in time because of traffic totally my own fault but ive not been down that section before

Sorry but it’s not what you were driving but the way you are actually driving i.e. you’d probably have done the same if you were in a car etc… :neutral_face:

I did my class 1 test in Hereford with PJE, failed the first attempt and nailed it the second time… Having lived in Birmingham (did my full bike test there) the roads and the traffic was the same… Roundabouts are alway a killer on tests because your dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t. As others have said luck is ether with you or against you on the test… But in all honesty it does not sound like long for the instruction part imho

3stepsaheaduk:
but ive not been down that section before

You’re going to be going into a career where you’re going to spend a great deal of time going to places you’ve never gone before. The fact you’ve never gone there before should mean things like this are even less likely to happen because you’re being more observant than you would normally be.

What world are you living in Conor?

Yes the statement you make is true, but the point of it hardly valid.

There is reason why training schools drive you around the area you are going to take your test in, they don’t bung you being the wheel and say drive me to X that is 2 hours away then turn you around and drive you back again do they?

Once he has his test, it doesn’t matter how long he sits at a roundabout, or if he squeezes into lane that’s a bit tighter than it should be. There will be no test pressure on him/her. You can’t gain good roadcraft in 3/4 sessions of 4 hours.

OP best of luck with your next one. Best piece of advice I got was “drive like you failed getting out the test centre”. Was way more relaxed when I thought about it like that.

conor is correct

This is the reason that the DVSA do not now publish test routes = A driver on test is expected to be able to drive anywhere within reason and cope with it safely

Even if test routes are known the examiner can go off those routes for any reason they deem fit

It might be helpful to introduce learners to very tricky parts of the test areas but the traffic situation at those areas is never likely to be exactly the same each time

Ye just go for it again where you are luck does play a very big part. I’m the same passed my class 2 first time so thought id pass class 1 first time, in actual fact it took me three attempts to pass.

Thing is though ROG, what is deemed as unsafe in a test situation might well not be unsafe in the real life. :smiley:

As such being familiar with the route before hand is very helpful to the person taking the test. Which as I said, is why the training schools drive you round and round the areas you are most likely to be in.

The fact the examiner can tell you to go anywhere they choose is irrelevant really, how far can you go in a 1 hour round trip?? You should have covered just about most of it in your training.

By the way, you know if write the first line of your post, too often, the world could end? ? :laughing: