Failed c+e advice needed

3stepsaheaduk:
Pulled put on a rounderbout (again) making a car slow down and going in bus pane which had ended but then started again and i couldnt move back over again in time because of traffic totally my own fault but ive not been down that section before

I’d put it down to nerves and as someone else said,you were put into test to early. But those two errors are pretty bad ones. As DD said,roundabouts you need a serious amount of luck but as for the bus lane one,when you pass your test you could get sent to cities youve never been to before with no clue where your going. Why would you think going somewhere quieter just to pass is a good idea? When you have the license you might get sent somewhere extremely busy. You’ve already shown you panic(if thats the right word).
You should probably get more lessons and practise and go for the test again. I know its a lot of money but better that than getting an easier pass then wiping out something on your first run coz your unprepared.
Good luck though,whichever route you take

3stepsaheaduk:
Cheers dd do you think i should go for it again in birmingham?

yes :grimacing: keep at it in brum! :laughing: the busier the better! :laughing: NEVER GIVE UP :smiley: sorry to see you failed again pal, THIRD TIME LUCKY?! :grimacing:

F-reds:
Thing is though ROG, what is deemed as unsafe in a test situation might well not be unsafe in the real life. :smiley:

Unsafe is the same in both = dangerous mark on test

Serious on test is still serious in real life but in real life the inconvenience caused is somewhat tolerated if annoying to another road user

I have know examiners on test to suggest to the candidate that they should inconvenience other road users in certain situations which means causing others to safely change speed or direction - its rare but it does happen

I wouldnt say i panicked i go plaxes ive never been every week in a 18t with no problems its the fact that on test they are very strict on lane discipline ie bus lanes, theres many short sections in burmingham where you have to move out of an move back into which they try to catch you out on in the real world you could hang on in the lane your in to make certain you need to move over, thanks for replys i will be going for it again and with some
More training first

Also theres two major mistakes you can get marks for serious and dangerous so a serious mark is not necessarily dangerous

I failed my first C+E by pulling out on someone on an island. Totally my fault of course. The Garretts Green routes are very busy and have some very tight turns on them.

As has been suggested, try Featherstone. I took my C there and my 2nd C+E, both of which I passed and the routes are notedly easier and less busy. But you will fail on any route pulling out on someone.

I think the test is so far removed from general driving its crazy. Take TC sitting in that break in the bus lanes, its not dangerous yet its marked as a serious on the test.

I agree the test is outdated the test should be about weather your safe on the road not weather you no the road layout

I took my Cat C in Newcastle failed my CE in Newcastle then went to Chelmsford passed CE np after l.5 days training I used Flair training ( Lgv trainer from here ) 1st was in an artic 2nd in a W&D

So changing area can be done as you learn to drive the the vehicle to a standard the examiner is happy with you can learn the different routes easy enough if you also have a good instructor

Have another look round & a couple assessment drives see how you feel then go for it

Thanks animal whats the w+d like? You obvioysly got used to it quick enough

“…the test is outdated the test should be about weather…”

I agree mate. Its far easier to know if its sunny,raining,windy etc.

Lol

F-reds:
OP best of luck with your next one. Best piece of advice I got was “drive like you failed getting out the test centre”. Was way more relaxed when I thought about it like that.

Great piece of advise,this worked for me too. Was certain I’d messed the couple/uncouple in the yard so was in the mindset that I’d already failed but went out thinking oh well I’ll just do a drive anyway. It really did take away a lot of nerves

Beggersbanquet:

F-reds:
OP best of luck with your next one. Best piece of advice I got was “drive like you failed getting out the test centre”. Was way more relaxed when I thought about it like that.

Great piece of advise,this worked for me too. Was certain I’d messed the couple/uncouple in the yard so was in the mindset that I’d already failed but went out thinking oh well I’ll just do a drive anyway. It really did take away a lot of nerves

Oh and the uncouple was just a minor fault as it turned out. I passed with less minors than I did my class 2

Took me three times to pass, due to nerves, my fault as I didn’t see a worn out give way paint marking on the road, and failed to give way.
I had been driving loaded trailers and tractors since I was a young child on the farm.
Boots sell Kalms, a natural herbal remedy to sooth the nerves is an option, they do not affect the driving.

Dipper_Dave:

3stepsaheaduk:
Cheers dd do you think i should go for it again in birmingham?

To be honest try Featherstone (as mentioned), if I remember correctly I was taken round Willenhall and had to mount a roudabout kerb due to a broken down vehicle, I informed the examiner first and he said OK, but I thought at this point I had failed anyway so relaxed and carried on. To my surprise I passed.

If you can remove your fear of failing (lets face it you have failed before) and enjoy the drive relaxed (not too relaxed but alert) and look ahead as far as possible you will be surprised at how easy it is too pass. Still need a bit of luck on roundabouts though… :slight_smile:

Edit: I should add that driving a lorry is easy, driving a lorry safely without worrying about timescales / delivery schedules etc and even holding back in order to let another vehicle through in order to give oneself more room and dare I say not being up the arse of the vehicle in front on the limiter is an art in itself… this seems to be lost on a lot of folks I see on the roads today.

Did a similar thing, at the beginning of the test I clipped the kerb with a trailer wheel, thought I had failed so just relaxed and drove the wagon, much to my surprise he said I had passed, dunno if he knew I clipped the kerb or if he was on a promise…

tommie1shunt:
Did a similar thing, at the beginning of the test I clipped the kerb with a trailer wheel, thought I had failed so just relaxed and drove the wagon, much to my surprise he said I had passed, dunno if he knew I clipped the kerb or if he was on a promise…

I went completely over 2 kerbs on my C+E test at Garretts Green and didn’t get a fail for either of them. My instructor said it’s ok to do so long as you explain to the examiner that you need to do it and that you’ve observed that it’s safe to do so as there are no pedestrians nearby.

I was surprised you could do this as I always assumed a mounting of the kerb was an instant fail. Not sure how it would go down if there was a pedestrian standing right on the side of the kerb though.

stick with garretts green ,to move elswhere and your back to square 1
learn from your mistakes
drive on previous test route with your 18 ton
dont pull out on roundabouts and make cars slow down
better to get a minor for hesitation and not making progress than a serious which is a fail
watch speed limits
look in mirror before indicating
indicate when overtaking parked cars ,you wont get a minor for too much indicating
tight turn by chemsley wood swimming baths ,penns lane sutton and where kitts green bus station used to be ,and by marston green train station , practice on these locations
try not to have a morning test as dustbin men about ,pushbikes ,rush hour buses ,and moms on school runs etc

3stepsaheaduk:
Thanks animal whats the w+d like? You obvioysly got used to it quick enough

Found the W&D much easier as it does follow round much better more forgiving on the reverse as well

I didnt have a problem changing area at all even but then it does depend on your driving experience

Boots sell Kalms, a natural herbal remedy to sooth the nerves is an option, they do not affect the driving
yes they work.They worked for me I passed on my second go good luck with your next test …