failed AGAIN!

If your examiner says you’ve passed, then it means you’ve been examined and passed a test of competence to drive a vehice of the category you’ve tested in, as prescribed for the purposes of Section 89 of the Road Traffic Act 1988…there’s no way you’d be given that kind of entitlement and permission if you were dangerous?!?

There is the odd exception - I had a trainee who was not safe on the road if he met a problem such as a bicycle to overtake but on test he did not encounter any situations that would have normally thrown his driving into an unsafe chaos - unfortunately, we instructors are not allowed to influence the examiners in any way.

So as instructors do you prefer to see trainees passing if they are up to the standard, rather than someone who’s not up to it and passes by chance?

Richard
:slight_smile:

The Lyonator:
So as instructors do you prefer to see trainees passing if they are up to the standard, rather than someone who’s not up to it and passes by chance?

Richard

YES
We see both sides - those that we would put on the road the next day with a full load and those that we would not trust with a bicycle and the test results do not always reflect that.

Do you think the increasement of the on-road driving to 60 minutes (excluding the subcategory tests) will improve the situation?

Richard

The Lyonator:
Do you think the increasement of the on-road driving to 60 minutes (excluding the subcategory tests) will improve the situation?

Richard

not really - I don’t think it will make that much difference.

I had another test on thursday 10th Jan.
I FAILED!!
i had 2 minors and 2 serious.
i got in the wrong lane at the round about and didn’t indicate.
i was gutted.

ROG:

If your examiner says you’ve passed, then it means you’ve been examined and passed a test of competence to drive a vehice of the category you’ve tested in, as prescribed for the purposes of Section 89 of the Road Traffic Act 1988…there’s no way you’d be given that kind of entitlement and permission if you were dangerous?!?

There is the odd exception - I had a trainee who was not safe on the road if he met a problem such as a bicycle to overtake but on test he did not encounter any situations that would have normally thrown his driving into an unsafe chaos - unfortunately, we instructors are not allowed to influence the examiners in any way.

I find it quite disconcerting that although you were of the opinion that the trainee was not safe, you still entered him for his test. Would it not have been more responsible to have given more training?

mutha-trucker:
I FAILED!!
i was gutted.

Hi mutha-trucker
I am very sorry to hear of your news,I know how you feel ,I failed twice and I was gutted each time.It can be difficult to come to terms with but you really need to give it another go if it’s what you really want,after all you have spent a lot of time and effort doing the training and from what I can see your nearly their --only 2 minors 2 considered serious.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Andy :wink:

ROG:

dangerousdave:
I had 4 minors on my first test and failed. I didn’t back far enough into the box. I was gutted as the guy before me destroyed the barrier and I was worried about doing the same. My instructor had told me you could not get out and check how far from the box you were, but I have now been told you can.

CORRECT - you can get out ONCE and go to the back of the vehicle when near the barrier and check without any faults being marked (unless you leave the handbrake off :open_mouth: ), so if you are unsure, stop a little bit short and the n GET OUT AND HAVE A LOOK.

I dont understand the logic of this one Rog, It must be better, (in the real world at least) to have another look if you are not sure. It seems harsh to punish someone for being ultra careful :smiling_imp:

mutha-trucker:
I FAILED!!
i was gutted.

give it another go, i know its expensive if u have to fund urself but if u know u have had to save hard for it then it may make u more careful and not make mistakes, and i dont mean that in a nasty way either.

dont worry keep at it your get there in the end just keep your chin up and dont worry about the examiner they just want nice steady ride round.good luck for next time :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

gb1:

ROG:

I find it quite disconcerting that although you were of the opinion that the trainee was not safe, you still entered him for his test. Would it not have been more responsible to have given more training?

To cancel a test the DSA must have 3 clear working days and by the time that it is obvious that the trainee, IMO, is not capable, then it is too late. It is also the trainee who must make the decision as they have paid for it.
I could tell trainees that they need more time & training but they will not pay for it so the only option is to let them go for test and prove me right (in most cases). We said this to a trainee the other day but he would not listen so he went for test and came back with 7 serious faults and over 20 minors.
Can you imagine how you say to some-one, who has paid the best part of a grand, sorry pal, you’re never gonna make a driver and you just wasted a grand and oh,don’t bother coming back as it will waste my time, your time and your money :exclamation:
If instructors could have SOME input in regard to the test result then maybe that would be a start but there is no chance with the current DSA regime.

PS it would also help if those that are coming for their C training had, in general, a bit more driving sense. I get fed up with going back to basics which were taught in the car L training. Most seem to have dropped standards since their car test.

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

dangerousdave:
I had 4 minors on my first test and failed. I didn’t back far enough into the box. I was gutted as the guy before me destroyed the barrier and I was worried about doing the same. My instructor had told me you could not get out and check how far from the box you were, but I have now been told you can.

CORRECT - you can get out ONCE and go to the back of the vehicle when near the barrier and check without any faults being marked (unless you leave the handbrake off :open_mouth: ), so if you are unsure, stop a little bit short and the n GET OUT AND HAVE A LOOK.

I dont understand the logic of this one Rog, It must be better, (in the real world at least) to have another look if you are not sure. It seems harsh to punish someone for being ultra careful :smiling_imp:

Thats the problem. The DSA do not test for driving in the real world, they test for the DSA.
In Australia the ‘tester’ for lorries says ‘ok driver, you got a car licence and you know the rules of the road, now show me that you can drive this rig around safely’ - IE real world driving, not some stupid rule & procedural orientated marking sheet.
IMO We need a different system for testing licence upgrades for those that already have (or at least, are supposed to have) on road driving experience.

ROG:

gb1:

ROG:

To cancel a test the DSA must have 3 clear working days and by the time that it is obvious that the trainee, IMO, is not capable, then it is too late. It is also the trainee who must make the decision as they have paid for it.
I could tell trainees that they need more time & training but they will not pay for it so the only option is to let them go for test and prove me right (in most cases). We said this to a trainee the other day but he would not listen so he went for test and came back with 7 serious faults and over 20 minors.
Can you imagine how you say to some-one, who has paid the best part of a grand, sorry pal, you’re never gonna make a driver and you just wasted a grand and oh,don’t bother coming back as it will waste my time, your time and your money :exclamation:
If instructors could have SOME input in regard to the test result then maybe that would be a start but there is no chance with the current DSA regime.

PS it would also help if those that are coming for their C training had, in general, a bit more driving sense. I get fed up with going back to basics which were taught in the car L training. Most seem to have dropped standards since their car test.

Fortunately, my employer still insists that unknown prospective employees are taken out for a test drive by a senior driver. We have had some that have been rejected as a result. New or inexperienced drivers will always have shortcomings, but these can generally be sorted. Its the blatantly dangerous ones that are the problem. Unfortunately, there’s always the less discerning employers who will give them a start, and those employers deserve the results. Its the innocent vitims of their actions that we should be concerned for.

Luckerly i have been told that i can have 1.5 days traing thats being funded and i have to cough up the £89 for the test.
thats better than having to save up the £300 any way
fingers crossed

Give your testing officer a safe controlled ride
show that you can handle the vehicle safely
this is what they are looking for,and then once
you have the pass cetificate in your hands

THEN starts the real work as now you join
all of us who haveing passed a test are still
learning some thing new every day,as school only ends
when you stop driveing for a liveing,

bets of luck with you tet drive

I only failed as i went into the wrong lane at the roundabout and i didn’t indicate.
other wise i would have passed with 2 minors. it was the 2 serious that let me down.

mutha-trucker:
I only failed as i went into the wrong lane at the roundabout and i didn’t indicate.
other wise i would have passed with 2 minors. it was the 2 serious that let me down.

Getting in the wrong lane by its self is not a serious - it is what you do when you realise that you are in the wrong lane - if you were to follow the route of the wrong lane but not, for example, go down a dead end road (serious), then you may get a minor for awarenes & planning but, if you try to get back onto the right lane SAFELY you will usually be ok or cop a minor for awarenes & planning.

Quote:

I know exactly what Rog means here. In the years I have been teaching there have been times when I have had a real Mr Dangerous at the wheel. The worse ones are those who dont care. The ones who realise that they are in a big vehicle and less likely to get hurt than the poor guy in the mini metro that they are happy to carve up.
Some of these ;drivers’ are perfectly capable of holding it together on test for an hour and passing but after sitting with them for a week god knows and I know that they should not be out there.
But as has been said on here the examiner can only go by what he sees in that one short drive and if the driver ‘passes the minimum standard required by the DSA’ to be allowed to driver a large vehicle unsupervised then thats it. He is given the go ahead. I have somtimes sat in the test centre and prayed for a fail - in the interest of public safety. :frowning:

sorry to hear that mutha-trucker, sounds like your drive went well otherwise tho!
glad to hear about your funding you’ll breeze it next time :wink: