F1 Thoughts?

I liked it,thought the cars looked great.
More planted and stable than before,
The new engine noise is a bit strange
but I think that hearing the crowd for
the first time could be interesting.

I think its going to be a good season,looking
forward to seeing just what these hybrids are
capable of.

Our deepest thoughts to John Button who was devoted to his son.
Come on JB ,you can do it.His Dad only missed one race due to illness.

There seemed a lot more action compared to the procession of the last 3-4 years.
In a way I don’t want the engines to be so reliable. It’s nice to have an element of uncertainty.

Lost interest in F1 now. I even cancelled my Sky subscription cos I’m no longer bothered about it. Its become to artificial now. I prefer to see the drivers on the ragged edge and pushing the car to the limits of physics. Drivers can’t really do that anymore. Then all this crap about teams taking pay drivers over ones with raw talent. That just put the final nail in the coffin for me.

I know things move on but all the talent isn’t on the track, it’s in the strategy now, I much prefer the Moto GP these days.

brados:
I know things move on but all the talent isn’t on the track, it’s in the strategy now, I much prefer the Moto GP these days.

There is most definitely a lot of talent on the starting grid. They hold the umbrellas/parasols. :laughing:

I fully agree that two wheels is better than four when it comes to entertainment value and thrills, but my real addiction is the TT.
Never fails to terrify me with the degree of commitment the island riders display.

The TT scares the ■■■■■ out of me when I watch it, I agree about the brolly dollies though.

I’ve just watched the F1 season opener. I only get to see the highlights on iplayer as I don’t have either Sky or a telly, but I quite enjoyed the first few laps. Better than the bum gravy we were served up with last year, anyway. Until the new engines settle down and Red Bull start winning everything again, it might be worth watching for a bit. Although as long as that bloody DRS thing is allowed, and Abu Dhabi is worth double points, there will be too much gimmickry in it for my taste. I’m looking forward to Motogp next weekend … :sunglasses:

I thought the first race was quite interesting and I’m prepared to watch the next one.

However (spoiler alert) I see they’ve already started playing silly buggers. Riciaedo has had his second taken away (car was running too high fuel pressure apparently). I imagine that will be the spoilt little brat Button crying to the stewards

Tbh I’d much sooner watch BTCC there’s much less politics and more racing

Tipper Tom:
Tbh I’d much sooner watch BTCC there’s much less politics and more racing

It’s the same with bike and truck racing. A lot of the thrill and fun with sport like this is the ‘chance’ there will be contact. The BTCC and Trucks don’t disappoint when it comes to this.

Not impressed. It’s the noise thing in particular that’s letting it down, imo it sounded like a bunch of Dewalt power tools working together! I think they’ll struggle to put bums on seats next year (a lot of folk will have pre ordered tickets for this year) as mostly it’s the sound and spectacle your average punter goes to enjoy.

I also hate any measure they impose be it on 2 wheels or 4 to slow them down. In particular the fuel limits, I always thought that the idea was to go flat out from start to finish, not to spend time feathering the throttle and slipstreaming to save fuel. Eddie Jordan hit the nail on the head when he said that if they really wanted to save fuel maybe they should limit their hospitality to ten artics instead of fifteen!

I was bored rigid. I made the effort to sit and watch it with the aim to try and get back the enthusiasm I had towards the sport in the 90’s and early 2000’s. The only thing I took from it is that reliability aside, the new cars seemed to show who the better drivers were - some of whom had never raced in F1 before and still ended the race on the podium… That’s the only excitement I can see in the season.

V10’s forever.

Trouble is, everything goes around in a circle with F1, and the rules will change again in the future, at great expense to the manufacturers. F1 is about cutting edge and the pinnacle of motorsport, so it should be left alone, and not meddled with.

If the fans want V10’s, then that should be the case, because without the fans, there is no sport.

Ken.

I used to bike to Snetterton as a thirteen year old when we moved down to England in 1963. Watched all the big names racing in BRM’s etc and also having a lot of fun, but still racing in saloon cars and sports cars. Like the old lorry driving days anything that was fun went. Now Eccelstone has turned it into a sanitized, organized multi-million pound event out of the reach of fans.
These guys will never have the personality of the Innes Irelands, the Graham Hills , or the Jim Clarkes. Put Lewis Hamilton in a Ford Galaxie against Jensen Button in a Lotus Cortina ? I would love to see it and I expect they would do it too if they were allowed.
I went to Spa three years ago to see Michael Schuemacker’s 20th parade as a guest with my brother. A Euro for a ■■■■? Ten Quid for a beer? A hundred and fifty quid to camp in a field with a thousand others and three toilets?
God knows what the three day pass for the grandstand on Eau Rouge cost. To make it worse, it doesn’t even LOOK exciting anymore.
Nuff said. Jim

Anyone seen Rush? I thought that was very good. I think the points system is a bit pc nowadays, much preferred it when only the top six got points. The way so many drivers get points now resembles a school sports day where everyone is rewarded.
Most memorable F1 moments for me was;
Senna ramming Prost when they were both at McLaren.
Gerhard Berger crashing his Ferrari in flames at San Marino; I watched in amazement at how he walked away.
Mansell V Senna, Monaco '92.

The Ferrari v10s sound unreal

I watch formula 1, but i have more interest in the American Le mans series and the World Endurance Championship especially glued to Le Mans on Eurosport HD every year, having a fast car for an hour and a half’s GP is one thing, engineering one that goes fast flat out for 24 hours is quite another, much less pretension and ego also.

Smoggie89:

Then listen to this with the volume LOUD:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ePbBtEgzR8

Quinny:

Smoggie89:

That is what F1 cars should sound like, I think the v10 have the best engine noise out the lot , makes ya ears tingle just from the vid :laughing:

Smoggie89:

Quinny:

Smoggie89:

That is what F1 cars should sound like, I think the v10 have the best engine noise out the lot , makes ya ears tingle just from the vid :laughing:

The whole racing scene has been wrecked by too many rules and regulations.As for F1 Le Mans was a lot more impressive at least during it’s best years.

youtube.com/watch?v=pcj9DVAM6eY