Eye sight medical

hello, 10 years ago when i took my medical the gp failed me on one eye, he said go the the opticians and get a second opinion, i did and just, just passed. i have had the same perscription all my life so my eyesight is normal to me, the worrie i have now is that in two years time i need my 45 medical and am terrified i may fail on one eye, is it a deffinate fail if i am just under in one eye? or do dvla take into account driving history? will i lose my licence if i fail? dont know what else to do but truck.

I would just pop the opticians and if you need stronger glasses they will sort it before your medical :wink:

thanks for the reply, but i have worn glasses since i was about 4, so i am on the right perscription already, dont get me wrong i aint blind i can see the horizon and all that its just oneeye is a bit weak, ■■■■■ me up for 3d aswell, i am due a eye test do i mention it to the optician? if he says no he might report me to dvla and i can see thing with my glasses better than alot of my mates. if i thought i was a danger i would give my licence up, been driving 26 years and no bumps, touch wood.

I gotcha, me personally, I would just go and have a normal eye test just to double check they are not weakened (age gets us all :wink: ) and you might just need a stronger lens, then hit the medical and if its mentioned I would revisit the optician again.

You don’t say which part of the standard you are struggling to meet with your “weak” eye. One thing to bear in mind is that while there is a limit on the strength of the glasses that you wear in order to meet the required standard (+8 dioptres) there is no such limit on contact lenses. It might be worth your while speaking with your optician about this.

As far as DVLA goes, sadly I don’t think there is any leeway or allowance - either your vision meets the required standard (using glasses if necessary) or it doesn’t.

just done my medical and had to go to the opticians to have the eye test part of the D4 filled in by a optician if you wear glasses . as most doctors don’t have the equipment or knowledge to do the test

Google “group 2 vehicles eye test” . There is advice to doctors and more general info available. If you understand the technical and know your current prescription then it may help. If you don’t meet certain standards it depends on the date you passed a group 2 test whether you will be allowed to renew.

If you are seriously worrying about something that is potentially 2 years into the future then you need to set your mind at rest now, in which case you need to visit your optician and either get reassured or learn what you don’t want to hear. Either way you will be buying yourself time to plan your future. It will be better to know now that you have no chance of appeal than to have it thrust upon you suddenly, or worse to know that you were responsible for some terrible accident which you could have prevented.

If you do this now then you will become due for another eye test just before your medical is due, at which time you will be able to ask your optician for a report confirming your ability to accompany your D4 medical form.

Don`t see why you have to worry,somebody I know lost one eye in an accident 40+ years ago, but he still had a LGV & PSV Licence even though he has a glass eye

I think you will find that the eye test has changed in the last 12 months, even if you wear glasses you now have to be able to read so much of the chart without them, that’s what is causing some long time drivers that wear glasses the problems as they no longer meet the standard now the goal posts have been moved

hiya Jim,

I am the authoruty on this as i had almost total loss of vision in my left eye about 4 years ago. i wont go into details of what happened (i,ve done it on another thread) but i was looking at a life of losing my HGV class1 which i had held since 1988 and my job.

This all happended just as i was approaching my 45th ( just about right !!) and i had 20/20 in one eye and finger movement only in the other. The hospital informed the DVLA Gestapo unit ( sorry the medical dept) and it was all set up for them to send me a box of matches to burn my licence with !!

After a lot of investigative searching by myself on the net i discovered that there is a grandfather rights clause in the group 2 driving regs that allows a driver who has held his HGV prior to 1991 and has had no blame worthy accidents in the 12 months prior to the eyesight test ( for medical) to continue driving with vision in the weaker eye below that which satisfies the normal driving eyesight regs.

Disabilities prescribed in respect of Group 2 licences
68.–(1) There is prescribed for the purposes of section 92(2) of the Traffic Act as a relevant disability in relation to an applicant for, or a person who holds, a Group 2 licence, the inability to read in good light (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) a registration mark fixed to a motor vehicle and containing letters and figures 79.4 millimetres high at a distance of 20.5 metres.

(2) There is also prescribed for the purposes of section 92(2) of the Traffic Act as a relevant disability in relation to a person other than an excepted licence holder who is an applicant for or who holds a Group 2 licence, such abnormality of sight in one or both eyes that he cannot meet the relevant standard of visual acuity.

(3) The relevant standard of visual acuity for the purposes of paragraph (2) means–

(a)in the case of a person who–
(i)was the holder of a valid Group 2 or obsolete vocational licence upon each relevant date specified in column (1) of Table 1 at the end of this regulation, and
(ii)if he is an applicant for a Group 2 licence, satisfies the Secretary of State that he has had adequate recent driving experience and has not during the period of 10 years immediately before the date of the application been involved in any road accident in which his defective eyesight was a contributory factor,
the standard prescribed in relation to him in column (2) of Table 1;
(b)in the case of a person who–
(i)does not fall within sub-paragraph (a), and
(ii)was or is the holder of a valid Group 2 licence upon the relevant date specified in column (1) of Table 2 at the end of this regulation,
the standard prescribed in relation to him in column (2) of Table 2;
(c)in the case of any other person, a standard of visual acuity (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) of at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/12 in the worse eye and, if corrective lenses are worn, an uncorrected acuity of at least 3/60 in both eyes.
(4) There is prescribed in relation to a person–

(a)to whom paragraph (3)(c) applies, and
(b)who is able to meet the relevant standard of visual acuity prescribed in that sub-paragraph only with the aid of corrective lenses,
poor toleration of the correction made by the lenses.

(5) There is prescribed for the purposes of section 92(2) as a relevant disability in relation to a person who is an applicant for or who holds a Group 2 licence, sight in only one eye unless–

(a)he held an obsolete vocational licence on 1st April 1991, the traffic commissioner who granted the last such licence knew of the disability before 1st January 1991, and–
(i)in a case of a person who also held such a licence on 1st January 1983, the visual acuity in his sighted eye is no worse than 6/12, or
(ii)in any other case, the visual acuity in his sighted eye is no worse than 6/9, and
if he is an applicant for a Group 2 licence, he satisfies the Secretary of State that he has had adequate recent driving experience and has not during the period of 10 years immediately before the date of the application been involved in any road accident in which his defective eyesight was a contributory factor; or
(b)the person is an excepted licence holder.
(6) Diabetes requiring insulin treatment is prescribed for the purposes of section 92(2) in relation to an applicant for or a person who holds a Group 2 licence unless the person suffering from the disability held an obsolete vocational licence on 1st April 1991 and the traffic commissioner who granted the last obsolete vocational licence knew of the disability before 1st January 1991.

(7) Liability to seizures arising from a cause other than epilepsy is prescribed for the purposes of section 92(2) in relation to an applicant for or a person who holds a Group 2 licence.

(8) Epilepsy is prescribed for the purposes of section 92(4)(b) of the Traffic Act in the case of an applicant for a Group 2 licence suffering from epilepsy who satisfies the licensing authority that–

(a)during the period of 10 years immediately preceding the date when the licence is granted–
(i)he has been free from any epileptic attack, and
(ii)he has not required any medication to treat epilepsy, and
(b)that the driving of a vehicle by him in accordance with the licence is not likely to be a danger to the public.
(9) In this regulation–

(a)references to measurements of visual acuity are references to visual acuity measured on the Snellen Scale;
(b)“excepted licence holder” means a person who–
(i)was the holder of a licence authorising the driving of vehicles included in sub-categories C1 and C1 + E (8.25 tonnes) which was in force at a time before 1st January 1997, and
(ii)is an applicant for, or the holder of, a Group 2 licence solely by reason that the licence applied for or held authorises (or would, if granted, authorise) the driving of vehicles included in those sub-categories;
(c)“obsolete vocational licence” means a licence to drive heavy goods vehicles or public service vehicles which was in force at a time before 1st April 1991 (whether or not it was continued in force by section 1(2) of the Road Traffic (Driver Licensing and Information Systems) Act 1989).
TABLE 1
(1) Person holding Group 2 licence or obsolete vocational licence on:— (2) Standard of visual acuity applicable:—

1. 1st January 1983 and 1st April 1991.
    Acuity (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) of at least 6/12 in the better eye or at least 6/36 in the worse eye or uncorrected acuity of at least 3/60 in at least one eye.
  2. 1st March 1992, but not on 1st January 1983.
    Acuity (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) of at least 6/9 in the better eye or at least 6/12 in the worse eye, or uncorrected acuity of at least 3/60 in at least one eye.

TABLE 2
(1) Person holding Group 2 licence on:— (2) Standard of visual acuity applicable:—

1. 31st December 1996, but not on 1st March 1992.
    Acuity (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) of at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/12 in the worse eye and, if corrective lenses are needed to meet that standard, uncorrected acuity of at least 3/60 in at least one eye.
  2. On or after 1st January 1997 but not on 31st December 1996.
    Acuity (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary) of at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/12 in the worse eye and, if corrective lenses are needed to meet that standard, uncorrected acuity of at least 3/60 in both eyes.

Moose:
I think you will find that the eye test has changed in the last 12 months, even if you wear glasses you now have to be able to read so much of the chart without them, that’s what is causing some long time drivers that wear glasses the problems as they no longer meet the standard now the goal posts have been moved

You’re right about the change to the eye test in the last 12 months.
But I have just read that the DVLA ( a law unto themselves ) insist the Doctor test your eyesight without glasses or contact lenses and it doesn’t matter what the result says ! ( WTF is that all about ? )
But if the test without glasses or contact lenses isn’t done,the DVLA will send the medical form back to you.There is just no reasoning to it,not that they need a reason ! :unamused:

Ramon123:
I have just read that the DVLA

Where did you read this :question:

thanks for the reply guys, and thanks for that gbd very helpful, i will take all your advise and go get my eyes checked so i will know for sure, one other thing is i renewed my licence last year as you have to every 10 years for the photo and now my hgv runs out in 2018 instead of 2016 when i would be 45,■■ so my licence says i would be 47, this must be a oversight on dvla right? who knows maybe they wont send me a medical form until then, i doubt it though.

jimroyale:
thanks for the reply guys, and thanks for that gbd very helpful, i will take all your advise and go get my eyes checked so i will know for sure, one other thing is i renewed my licence last year as you have to every 10 years for the photo and now my hgv runs out in 2018 instead of 2016 when i would be 45,■■ so my licence says i would be 47, this must be a oversight on dvla right? who knows maybe they wont send me a medical form until then, i doubt it though.

You may want to read my posts from January last year regarding my eyes (detached retina and retinal tears in both eyes) and the problems I had with the DVLA getting my licence back after they revoked it even though my consultant with about 25 years experience in eye surgery said I was fit to drive HGV’S again.

Chapter and verse the links

For medical form

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 049/D4.pdf

For notes

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 250113.pdf

From what I can see you do not now need to read part of the chart without glasses. It was only the top line at that.

great response by everyone thankyou, getting back to my licence running out when i am 47 instead of 45 for med, been digging a little and because i updated my licence, photo its classed as self certification or somthing like that? anyone heard about this? will i gey a med form at 45 when my plastic licence says i will be 47 when it runs out, very strange, has anyone under 45 have a licence expiary over 45, thanks for your help .

They have change the eye sight standard I believe it’s 6/7.5 in your best eye and 6/60 in ya worst which is the top line

jimroyale:
great response by everyone thankyou, getting back to my licence running out when i am 47 instead of 45 for med, been digging a little and because i updated my licence, photo its classed as self certification or somthing like that? anyone heard about this? will i gey a med form at 45 when my plastic licence says i will be 47 when it runs out, very strange, has anyone under 45 have a licence expiary over 45, thanks for your help .

Yes, if you update photo, it may move the date for your next medical, all above board, I was due to take one in September this year, updated the photo now next medical isn’t due till June 2019!
If you can pass the eye test with glasses on, you should have no problem and as already mentioned the standard with out is irrelevant now even though it still needs to be on the form.
I wouldn’t worry to much about something that may affect you in 3 to 4 years time, anything can happen.
Just go to your optitian, they will tell you wether you have a problem or not as regards to meeting group 2 medical standards.

thank you

I have had a weak eye all my life and had to let really good oil co jobs go scared to fail the medical my right eye not wonderful but it seems my left eye is very good and with glasses on and right prescription can see the bottom line on the chart ,the test were you stick your head in a machine and get dots coming at different angles and how many I got 100 per cent I don’t know how it is now but up to 2years ago it was worked that as long as your eyesight was no worse than when you had your first medical,1973 in my case when the HGV licence started then you are ok it’s always been so with me when my licence was due I always thought I could fail but never did have a word with a really good optician not your doctor