Eye sight medical

Ramon123:

Moose:
I think you will find that the eye test has changed in the last 12 months, even if you wear glasses you now have to be able to read so much of the chart without them, that’s what is causing some long time drivers that wear glasses the problems as they no longer meet the standard now the goal posts have been moved

You’re right about the change to the eye test in the last 12 months.
But I have just read that the DVLA ( a law unto themselves ) insist the Doctor test your eyesight without glasses or contact lenses and it doesn’t matter what the result says ! ( WTF is that all about ? )
But if the test without glasses or contact lenses isn’t done,the DVLA will send the medical form back to you.There is just no reasoning to it,not that they need a reason ! :unamused:

Depends on the doctor I suppose, but I have been using the same doc for my medical for the last 5 years since I was 65 and last year when the new standard came in,I had my usual eye test at the opticians but left the D4 for the doc to fill in as before.
He did the standard eye test and said my eyes did not meet the new standard and to go back to my optician who tested me again and gave me new prescription glasses and filled out page one of the D4, got my licence back no probs.
Two months ago I had a cataract operation and new lens insert in my right eye so now my right eye reaches the new standard without glasses, and as the weaker eye standard is now lower, my weaker eye also passes without glasses. However, just to be happy in myself, I’m having my other cataract done soon.
I am getting the optician to fill out my D4 again before I go to the doctor this time.

i dont understand this
people are saying new rules mean you have to take the eye test without glasses
even though you wear glasses all the time including and especially when you are driving
my medical is next year and i dont know what i am going to do now
i was given varifocals by my optician last year
i said do i need to tell DVLA , he said no ,your eyes are not that bad
i asked do i need to wear them all the time ,he said no , but its up to you
anyway shortly afterwards i started wearing them all the time
including while driving , and i still havent told DVLA
in fact most things are blurred without them now , dont know how i managed before
and i dont know how i am going to pass an eye test without them

This is the result of my eye test taken last year when the new eyesight requirement came in.
If you read the questions, it does say that if you need glasses for driving, what is the corrected acuity.
Now I have had a cataract and lens insert in one eye, my uncorrected readings now are 6/7.5 for my best eye, and 6/10 for my weaker eye, which means I can pass the medical and drive without glasses, but I still need glasses for reading.
When I have my other eye done sometime soon, I shall have new bi focals to sharpen up my long sight and make reading easier.

villa:
i dont understand this
even though you wear glasses all the time including and especially when you are driving
in fact most things are blurred without them now , dont know how i managed before

Until recently, you had to pass the minimum standard eyesight test without glasses and also the minimum standard with, if your eyesight did not meet the minimum standard without glasses you would not pass and lose your entitlement, even if you passed the standard with them on.
The new rules are, if you can meet the minimum standard with glasses on you will be ok, there is no requirement to pass the minimum standard with out them anymore, even though it needs to go on the form.
If you mean, you don’t want to wear the glasses to pass the eyesight test, get some contacts made up to wear whilst you do it.

weeto:

villa:
i dont understand this

Until recently, you had to pass the minimum standard eyesight test without glasses and also the minimum standard with, if your eyesight did not meet the minimum standard without glasses you would not pass and lose your entitlement, even if you passed the standard with them on.
The new rules are, if you can meet the minimum standard with glasses on you will be ok, there is no requirement to pass the minimum standard with out them anymore, even though it needs to go on the form.
If you mean, you don’t want to wear the glasses to pass the eyesight test, get some contacts made up to wear whilst you do it.

thanks for the reply weeto
i wear glasses all the time now so dont mind wearing them for the eye test
in fact if i wear them for the eye test i will be able to pass it easy and read the small bottom line of letters
my problem is i have never told dvla i wear them cos last year the optician told me i didnt need to

Ramon123:

Moose:
I think you will find that the eye test has changed in the last 12 months, even if you wear glasses you now have to be able to read so much of the chart without them, that’s what is causing some long time drivers that wear glasses the problems as they no longer meet the standard now the goal posts have been moved

But I have just read that the DVLA ( a law unto themselves ) insist the Doctor test your eyesight without glasses or contact lenses and it doesn’t matter what the result says ! ( WTF is that all about ? )
But if the test without glasses or contact lenses isn’t done,the DVLA will send the medical form back to you.There is just no reasoning to it,not that they need a reason ! :unamused:

can someone clear this up please
with the new rules
DO YOU OR DO YOU NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE EYE TEST WITHOUT GLASSES ON EVEN IF YOU WEAR THEM FOR DRIVING

villa:

Ramon123:

Moose:

can someone clear this up please
with the new rules
DO YOU OR DO YOU NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE EYE TEST WITHOUT GLASSES ON EVEN IF YOU WEAR THEM FOR DRIVING

Probably because they can’t be bothered to alter the form and every section needs filling in.
You always have to and still have to have your uncorrected vision result on the form, although now it is irrelivent.

Few years ago I had laser surgery to avoid me having to use glasses. I had a procedure called “monovision”
This is where they correct one eye for normal everyday walking around eyesight and the other eye for reading. Your brain eventually gets used to having two different levels of vision. And no glasses needed for reading or anything else.

I have no clue what I’m gonna do when the medical comes up… :confused:

so now with the new rules what line on the chart do you need to be able to read? is it the same line with both eyes?

jimroyale:
so now with the new rules what line on the chart do you need to be able to read? is it the same line with both eyes?

No. 6/7.5 for good eye and 6/60 minimum for worst eye.

i am still none the wiser

villa:

Well perhaps a visit to the opticians would be helpful, as non of us are experts.

I work at an eye clinic, I just joined today!

I think your question has been answered above but if I can just add my 2 pence…

THE DVLA ARE A NIGHTMARE!!!

There are several medical officers. Some are more tough than others. I have had people fail when its a pass and people pass when I think its a fail…

The standards are there for a reason but sometimes I dont think they even understand them…

The best thing you guys can do if you ever get into a situation about your sight is as above is to check if you have grandfather rights and get a second opinion from a consultant eye doctor with a letter saying they believe you are fit to drive. (If you indeed are!)

They tend to be quite strict with HGV but I have had HGV drivers JUST fail who have been on the roads for 30 years, but yet 89 year old Bob with one eye, 6/12 vision (the limit) two hip replacements, deaf and one arm pass…

weeto:

villa:

Well perhaps a visit to the opticians would be helpful, as non of us are experts.

ok chill out , i have an appointment in 6 months and my medical in 12 months
anyway ,guess who i bumped into in specsavers last time i was in there