Extra hour on duty!

If you sit on break for 3hours continually during your shift can you work an extra hour at the end of the day? i.e 16 hours. Sounds like managment myth to me. As I see it 15 hours is your lot,end of, done.

Mr.Shep:
If you sit on break for 3hours continually during your shift can you work an extra hour at the end of the day? i.e 16 hours. Sounds like managment myth to me. As I see it 15 hours is your lot,end of, done.

no way mate 15 hours is the max duty time and only if you have any left in that week

what mite he thinking is if you take a 3 hour brake in your shift you only have to do a 9 hour rest its called a split rest

Under the old regs you could but not any longer

15 hrs is maximum you can work (Total Shift Time), It will not be counted as a reduced rest as long as the 3 hrs were consecutive rest, you can no longer use 2 or 3 separate 1 hr periods to make up the 3 hrs.

If I think rightly the old regs was 4 hrs rest made up of 2 or 3 periods of at least 1 hr qualified you for split shift allowing a 16 hr shift but the new regs made the minimum rest period 9 hrs instead of 8 hrs as it was previously.

delboytwo:

Mr.Shep:

no way mate 15 hours is the max duty time and only if you have any left in that week

what mite he thinking is if you take a 3 hour brake in your shift you only have to do a 9 hour rest its called a split rest

yeah but 3 + 9 = 12 umm + 12 = 24 ummmmmm yeah wheres the rest comming from :question: :question: :question: :question:

Pre 07 rule changes you could work a 16hr shift if you had 4 hrs rest in not more than three breaks, each consisting of a minimum of 1hr block units, not 59mins. ie if you had 2hrs 59mins, it would only count as 2hrs. If you worked it right your daily rest period would then be reduced to 8hrs, which you could repeat all week.

ROG will be on in the morning and give an update on what’s what after 07.

Mr.Shep:
As I see it 15 hours is your lot,end of, done.

Mathematically it is but you are always better to say - I must fit in a minimum consecutive 9 hour rest within a 24 hour period from the end of the last weekly/daily rest.

It is the same thing but saves confusion if someone says. for example, oh, you can do a 4 hour rest and an 8 hour rest and that is ok, which, of course, it is not, under EU regs.

berewic:
Pre 07 rule changes you could work a 16hr shift if you had 4 hrs rest in not more than three breaks, each consisting of a minimum of 1hr block units, not 59mins. ie if you had 2hrs 59mins, it would only count as 2hrs.

He’ll be early then as he’s comming here for 8.30
:grimacing:

Exactly how i see it. Who wants to work 16 hours anyway!

delboytwo:

Mr.Shep:

If he has had 3 hours he can do a 15 whether he has any left since his last weekly rest or not. Split rest doesn’t count as a reduction.

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Mr.Shep:

If he has had 3 hours he can do a 15 whether he has any left since his last weekly rest or not. Split rest doesn’t count as a reduction.

Can this 3hr rest be broken into several sections. ie 2hrs, then 1hr at a later stage?

berewic:
Pre 07 rule changes you could work a 16hr shift if you had 4 hrs rest in not more than three breaks, each consisting of a minimum of 1hr block units, not 59mins. ie if you had 2hrs 59mins, it would only count as 2hrs. If you worked it right your daily rest period would then be reduced to 8hrs, which you could repeat all week.

He will but remember that I am definitely NOT the regs GURU

EU DRIVER REGS
Article 4
(g) ‘daily rest period’ means the daily period during which a
driver may freely dispose of his time and covers a ‘regular
daily rest period’ and a ‘reduced daily rest period’:

– ‘regular daily rest period’ means any period of rest
of at least 11 hours. Alternatively, this regular daily
rest period may be taken in two periods, the first of
which must be an uninterrupted period of at least 3
hours and the second an uninterrupted period of at
least nine hours,

berewic:
Pre 07 rule changes you could work a 16hr shift if you had 4 hrs rest in not more than three breaks,

Two, It was three in total, the last being at least 8 hours.

berewic:
each consisting of a minimum of 1hr block units, not 59mins.

True

berewic:
ie if you had 2hrs 59mins, it would only count as 2hrs.

No, if you had any period longer than 60 minutes it counted for exactly what it was, 2 hours 59 minutes and 1 hour 1 minute would count as your 4 hours.

berewic:
If you worked it right your daily rest period would then be reduced to 8hrs, which you could repeat all week.

And you still can repeat it all week, although now it’s at least 3 hours + at least 9 hours

berewic:

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Mr.Shep:

Can this 3hr rest be broken into several sections. ie 2hrs, then 1hr at a later stage?

No, unlike the pre April 2007 rules it must be one block.

Coffeeholic:

delboytwo:

Mr.Shep:

yes mate noticed it after posting :blush:

Thanks for that Coffee.

Coffeeholic:

But not on the day that he had the 3 hours rest as the max would be 12 non rest hours (duty) as a 9 hour rest would be needed as well after the 3.
Everything must fit into a 24 hour period.

I may have misread what coffeeholic said/meant and if so - sorry :blush: :blush: :blush:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

But not on the day that he had the 3 hours rest as the max would be 12 non rest hours (duty) as a 9 hour rest would be needed as well after the 3.

I may have misread what coffeeholic said/meant and if so - sorry :blush: :blush: :blush:

Rog the legal requirement is a minimum 9 hrs, which you can reduce your rest to on no more than 3 occassions, however, by taking a 3 hr rest during your shift it is classed as split shift so does not count as a reduced 9 hr rest period, because you have in fact had 12 hrs rest within the 24 hr period, not 9 hrs.

Regardless of whether you have used all your 9 hr reductions or not, you can do split shift every day if you want as you are complying with the minimum 11 hrs required :wink:

When drivers refer to the 15 hrs, it is not work they refer to but shift time, i.e from start of shift to end of shift, the 15 hr shift would be 12 hrs + the 3 hrs rest period = 15 hrs + 9 hrs Daily rest = 24 hrs

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Everything must fit into a 24 hour period.

And how many hours will be left for his shift length when you take the 9 hours rest from the 24 hours? Hang on I’m just getting my calculator, be with you shortly

Holy crap!!! Look at that, there are 15 hours left for the shift, which coincidentally is what I said. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You get worse ROG. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

berewic:
Pre 07 rule changes you could work a 16hr shift if you had 4 hrs rest in not more than three breaks,

Two, It was three in total, the last being at least 8 hours.

Hi Neil

with regard the 16 hour shift in the old regs would that actually be a 12 hour shift cos you are using the 4 hours as rest and not brake

and in the new regs if you take a 3 hour rest then a 9 hour rest tin the 24 hours the shift would be a 12 hour shift

for you day to be a 15 hour shift it would be 10 hours driving 1.5 hours brake and 3.5 hours other work

if you take a split rest is basically like going home and then coming back to work to start a new shift

I.E 4.5 hours driving 45 Min’s brake 45 Min’s other work 3 hours rest start back 4.5 hours driving 45 min brake 45 Min’s then take 9 hours rest total shift 12 hours

rest IMHO is not part of your shift in any way cos if it was we would all be doing a 24 hour shift. brake is, POA is, other work is

rest is not part of any of your shift as it is rest

I agree that the word “shift” generally refers to working time but could it also be applied to paid time ?

The requirement for a rest period is the ability to freely dispose of the time, but as far as I’m aware there’s nothing to say you can’t be paid for it :wink: