Extended time on the road

anyone got any experience of being out for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. this could well be a stupid question but how do you do your washing (clothes) I mean if your having a 45 in the services or whatever. I cant recall seeing any laundry facilities anywhere ive been but then again ive not really looked as ive never been out for that period of time.

I wouldn’t consider it…

In the UK only. There just aren’t the facilities to be out for so long. I did nearly 3 months away in Europe back in the day. Mostly in Spain but going up to Germany and some Italian trips too. At that time the BP truckstops nearly all had laundry facilities. I was never that keen on the places because of the drunken idiots that used to plague a lot of them at weekends. The laundry would be the only reason to stay there. You need to be able to access your cash easily, check your wages are going in. You need a good reliable motor too. Nothing worse than spending hours if not days in a workshop looking at the underside of your propshaft. Being a dab hand at cooking is a must. I used to eat out a great deal and enjoyed it but, every now and then I’d be in the middle of nowhere and out came the pasta and Loyd Grossman pasta sauce. Some weekends I’d find a reasonable hotel and stay there to avoid cabin fever.

Did it for years and unless you run entirely different routes all the time, you don’t need that many anyway. I was back at base with necessary amenities every fortnite but if caught short, every other truckstop in Germany, many French Routiers and service stations, can’t recollect any in Spain, but running Scandinavia-Iberia I was always well covered.

Many actually provide full service - drop a gym bag full of laundry off and get it back in a couple of hours, the Joost Truckstop in Meer for example.

Also many ferries in Northern Europe have washing machines, but as they are free to use and sometimes there’s even free detergent at hand, you have to be the first truck on board to beat the BG and RO fellas already in queue, or wake up at like 4am for a 7am arrival, to get your laundry done.

LAUNDERETTES. ! :bulb: :bulb:
We don’t all park in lay bys believe it or not. :open_mouth:

Failing that wash your socks and undercrackers under a tap with soap, use your open grille as a drying area when parked up for weekend.

No offence mate, seriously…but did you really have to ask that, or did you think we all ran around in rock hard socks and cheesy undercrackers for the trip duration. :neutral_face:

Longest I’ve been away on one trip was 107 days or three-and-a-half months, on a roadshow. I was staying in hotels for quite a bit of it though and got them to do the laundry. For the amount they charge it would probably have been cheaper to have thrown my dirty stuff away and bought new clothes but the tab was picked up by the customer anyway.

Thanks for the advice, its ok ive just bought a 12v washing machine of ebay you just top it up with water :smiley: :smiley:

Tommytoes:
Thanks for the advice, its ok ive just bought a 12v washing machine of ebay you just top it up with water :smiley: :smiley:

A 12 volt washing machine? that’s a Lambretta isn’t it ■■ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Twoninety88:

Tommytoes:

A 12 volt washing machine? that’s a Lambretta isn’t it ■■ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

You owe me a new phone because that post made me spit my coffee all over mine! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twoninety88:

Tommytoes:

:laughing:

Tommytoes:

Good luck with that, let us know how you get on… :grimacing:

If any ones intrested found this m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKuPXGDlH8

malcolmgbell:
If any ones intrested found this m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKuPXGDlH8

That led onto a vid about the Bashkara wheel. Great idea. No need for any fossil or nuclear fuels anymore!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Tommytoes:
anyone got any experience of being out for 6 to 8 weeks at a time.

Let me guess … concert tours?

If you need to ask how to survive, for extended periods away, using basic common sense, I don’t hold out much hope for you.

Being away in a truck is basically a camping holiday.

biggriffin:
If you need to ask how to survive, for extended periods away, using basic common sense, I don’t hold out much hope for you.

that’s unfortunate I’m glad I didn’t mention I was in the army and the French foreign legion…whoops. I guess ill just stick me shreddies and socks in the kettle boil them up then make whoevers parked next to me a cup of tea in the morning.

Twoninety88:

Tommytoes:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

TiredAndEmotional:

Tommytoes:

Good luck with that, let us know how you get on… :grimacing:

:smiley: :smiley:

Tommytoes:

biggriffin:

that’s unfortunate I’m glad I didn’t mention I was in the army and the French foreign legion…whoops. I guess ill just stick me shreddies and socks in the kettle boil them up then make whoevers parked next to me a cup of tea in the morning.

You were in the French Legion and you’re asking :::

Tommytoes:
anyone got any experience of being out for 6 to 8 weeks at a time. this could well be a stupid question but how do you do your washing (clothes) I mean if your having a 45 in the services or whatever. I cant recall seeing any laundry facilities anywhere ive been but then again ive not really looked as ive never been out for that period of time.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pierrot 14:

Tommytoes:

biggriffin:

You were in the French Legion and you’re asking :::

Tommytoes:

I’m ashamed… :smiley: :frowning: maybe I should have stuck to labouring :smiley: :smiley:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peirre:

Tommytoes:
anyone got any experience of being out for 6 to 8 weeks at a time.

Let me guess … concert tours?

General haulage