Expenses

You definitely can claim for clothes getting washed, when i called my tax office they enquired if it could not be done at work, a simple no & they changed code for me

Regarding food & that does our night out money not cover that & if it doesn’t would a credit card statement do for the P87 form?

kaode:
You definitely can claim for clothes getting washed, when i called my tax office they enquired if it could not be done at work, a simple no & they changed code for me

Regarding food & that does our night out money not cover that & if it doesn’t would a credit card statement do for the P87 form?

Night out money is given as a way for you not sleeping in your own bed

animal:

kaode:

Night out money is given as a way for you not sleeping in your own bed

It’s supposed to simply compensate you for the extra incidental expenses incurred - e.g. getting a hot meal, having to pay for shower/bath facilities, making a phone call home, that sort of thing. That’s why HMRC allow it to be paid tax-free, and why they allow a higher payment if you don’t have a sleeper cab (as you’ll also be needing to pay for lodgings). Of course, the cab-happy among us regard it as being part of their regular wage…

I dont include it as my regular wage as when not at work I dont get it

shake:
by alix776 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:34 pm

So you are provided work clothes by the client then

Where are your ideas coming from?

I buy clothes myself.

I wear them to work.

They are not tax deductible.

If you don’t agree then argue with HMRC.

Shake just go see an accountant and get them to do your books instead of going of hearsay on here

Goldfinger:
I’m employed, have logoed T shirts and a jacket.

I launder them at home so, can I claim anything.

And or possibly other stuff?

People keep mentioning this P87 form, but I wonder just who is entitled to what etc?? :confused:

Lorry driving is not listed in the occupations list for the laundry allowance but it does say that

"If your occupation isn’t listed, you may still be able to claim a standard annual amount of £60 in tax relief.

You don’t need to keep records of what you’ve paid for if you claim a flat rate deduction."

So no receipts etc needed. Just ring the HMRC employees helpline and ask. And ask for it to be backdated.

You can claim for anything that is essential for you to do your job and your employer has not paid for. When I was an employee I claimed for medical for licence, Digi card, Driving licence renewal for HGV entitlement, CPC training, safety boots, Hi Viz, travel from home to a temporary workplace (loads of conditions).

The £5/£10 meal allowance needs receipts and a dispensation but there is also a flat rate meal allowance of £2 per day that you MAY be eligible for and does not require receipts. Also I would try to backdate the claim if it was allowed. See

EIM66140 - Tax treatment of lorry drivers: mid-day meals: allowances paid by employers at

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim66140.htm

EIM Section 337 and 338 ITEPA 2003 Drivers may be entitled to a deduction under Section 337 or 338 ITEPA 2003 where meal allowances:

are paid by the employer but are fully taxed under PAYE, or

are claimed to be inadequate in relation to the expenditure concerned, or

are not paid. (This is the bit I think might be worth claiming on.)

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66150.htm

Although it is only £2 per day it is better than nothing if you don’t get receipts and certainly worth trying to claim back to the start of this tax year. In a full year (46 weeks) it could be worth about £90 in actual cash. Again just ring the employee helpline and ask. If refused ask for a written explanation??

alix776:

shake:
by alix776 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:34 pm

So you are provided work clothes by the client then

Where are your ideas coming from?

I buy clothes myself.

I wear them to work.

They are not tax deductible.

If you don’t agree then argue with HMRC.

Shake just go see an accountant and get them to do your books instead of going of hearsay on here

I go on my own hearsay. I have had 2 inspections from HMRC and both were no problem.

Thanks for that Shake.

Only thing is, I’m NOT a drier anymore.

Does / will that make a difference?

Oh, and one more thing, can I claim for ‘tools’ in relation to my job??

Goldfinger:
Thanks for that Shake.

Only thing is, I’m NOT a drier anymore.

Does / will that make a difference?

Oh, and one more thing, can I claim for ‘tools’ in relation to my job??

Yes

and

If the tools are essential for you to do your job and you pay for them yourself then I would THINK yes. But as always HMRC have the final say and many trades are given fixed rates. So ring HMRC and ask.

Claiming for travel I’ve read on this BB two different views on claiming for travel one is offset against your earnings ie £100 travel is not subject to NI & Tax as self employed (sole trader) and Umbrella, the other is payed back to you as a employee from your ltd company ie £100 payed to you from company earnings.
Is this correct

Regards,
Jeff :sunglasses:

YorkshireJeff:
Claiming for travel I’ve read on this BB two different views on claiming for travel one is offset against your earnings ie £100 travel is not subject to NI & Tax as self employed (sole trader) and Umbrella, the other is payed back to you as a employee from your ltd company ie £100 payed to you from company earnings.
Is this correct

Regards,

Both are correct.

YorkshireJeff:
Is this correct

Regards,

An umbrella company gets you mileage allowances, in most cases, by claiming that you are travelling to a temporary work place and as such the cost of travel to such a place is allowable against tax.

The problem is that most umbrella companies (and some agencies that use similar schemes) do not check to see if you are in fact eligible to offset the cost against tax. There are lots of rules that cover this but broadly they are that the duration must be less than 24 months or to exceed 24 months less than 40% of working time and even when the duration is less than 24 months the work at one site should be less than 80% and lots more. Check the following site if you want a headache
hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32080.htm

The agencies routinely claim these mileages for you to justify their fees without due regard as to whether you are entitled to them and frankly they get away with it because HMRC has not the manpower to check these claims.

As an employee of your own limited company you can claim for the cost of using your private vehicle on company business. The travel between your Registered Office and the agencies client could then be business travel which you would claim back from your employer (yourself). IMO the best way is to add the mileage times 45 pence (first 10,000 25p thereafter) to you wages tax free or just record it as a payment to yourself as an employee and account for that payment in the proper way in the company books.

shake:
. IMO the best way is to add the mileage times 45 pence (first 10,000 25p thereafter) to you wages tax free or just record it as a payment to yourself as an employee and account for that payment in the proper way in the company books.

Thanks that’s what i thought & you answers my next question above because i was wondering how to pay myself travel expenses back, through wages or one off monthly payment stating in my accounts that it was a petrol refund.

Regards,
Jeff. :sunglasses:

YorkshireJeff:

shake:
. IMO the best way is to add the mileage times 45 pence (first 10,000 25p thereafter) to you wages tax free or just record it as a payment to yourself as an employee and account for that payment in the proper way in the company books.

Thanks that’s what i thought & you answers my next question above because i was wondering how to pay myself travel expenses back, through wages or one off monthly payment stating in my accounts that it was a petrol refund.

Regards,
Jeff. :sunglasses:

Add it as a tax free payment to your payroll. Below are a few lines from one of my self generated payslips.

Variable Pay (24.00 @ 6.50 p/h) 156.00
Expenses (Non Taxable) 30.00
Mileage (cash value) 54.00

Line 3 is for mileage @ 20 miles each way for 3 days and I entered it in the travel expenses account (in the chart of accounts)

animal:
If you are employed you can claim for some things like washing your work clothes simple write to your tax office explaining you are a driver they should have an agreed amount this will then be taken into account for your tax code

If you are self employed you can claim for a lot more there are courses run by HMCR that are free to help you or visit there web site

If you are a Sole Trader / LDT company then the rules are different again as if you set up as this you will pay coperation tax but might not pay income tax just pay your self just under the income tax limit

animal:
If you are employed you can claim for some things like washing your work clothes simple write to your tax office explaining you are a driver they should have an agreed amount this will then be taken into account for your tax code

If you are self employed you can claim for a lot more there are courses run by HMCR that are free to help you or visit there web site

If you are a Sole Trader / LDT company then the rules are different again as if you set up as this you will pay coperation tax but might not pay income tax just pay your self just under the income tax limit

*** If you are a sole trader/ owner driver their is no where to declare you income on self assessment forms ! What actually happens is you pay Tax on your company profits,so paying yourself under the Tax limit would make no difference to your Tax liability… IE, If you made £50,000 profit after costs ! and your personal Tax limit was say £10,000 then you would pay Tax on the remaining £40,000 profit,.,.,.

steelgoon:
The only thing I have claimed for as PAYE is the Laundry Allowance, it doesn’t have to be for logoed uniform, but for clothing you only wear for work.

Let’s face it for an allowance of £60 per year, I wouldn’t think they will be setting up any undercover stings to confirm this for many drivers :laughing:

Well well well I never knew this little nugget of information :slight_smile: how do I go about claiming this? iv been delivering to building sites for 6 years and regulary get covered in muck so I have to wash my clothes at least 3 times a week as my work only supply one set of clothing…

***If you are a sole trader/ owner driver their is no where to declare you income on self assessment forms

I am not sure what you mean. There is a place by completing the supplementary SA103S or SA103F depending on the complexity of your return.

Berty:

steelgoon:
The only thing I have claimed for as PAYE is the Laundry Allowance, it doesn’t have to be for logoed uniform, but for clothing you only wear for work.

Let’s face it for an allowance of £60 per year, I wouldn’t think they will be setting up any undercover stings to confirm this for many drivers :laughing:

Well well well I never knew this little nugget of information :slight_smile: how do I go about claiming this? iv been delivering to building sites for 6 years and regulary get covered in muck so I have to wash my clothes at least 3 times a week as my work only supply one set of clothing…

Best way IMO is to ring the tax hotline (employee?) and ask. Also ask for it to be backdated.

shake:

Berty:

steelgoon:

Best way IMO is to ring the tax hotline (employee?) and ask. Also ask for it to be backdated.

Yes ill give them a ring on friday thanks for that… dont suppose you have the number do you I can’t seem to find it online also do I need any kind of proof or will they know through my tax records e.t.c…