Expenses

Some drivers seem to think that there are lots of deductible expenses to be had so as to reduce thier own tax bill. it is often said that an accountant will save thousands.

I just wonder if that is the case. I would welcome tips to reduce my tax liability.

I do not claim for much at the moment, I do claim for travel to work place at 45 pence per mile and mobile workers daily meal allowance ( HMRC dispensation pending), laundry of a logoed uniform and PPE. Nothing more.

My PPE works out at 12 pairs of gloves per year and one HiViz jacket per 3 years. Laundry at HMRC agreed rate of £60 per year. Meal allownce for MY 2 days per week £960 Total allowance = approx £1100 per year.

Mileage varies from site to site but on average mine may be 100 miles per week giving me a deductible of £2160 per year.

Some odds like mobile phone, house phone, heat and light in a “business” room at home, part of the rent/mortgage for a"business" room home, work?? jackets/trousers I do not claim for as they are either insignificant, cause more problems than they are worth or special HMRC rules may apply in these cases.

That is it for me a total of my deductibles per year. Not a lot but at £3260 saving me just £652 per year. Am I missing out? What else can I claim for? Would the new claims be allowable■■?

Forgot Dlicence, digi card CPC and medical.

Meal allowance £10 per as long as you do over 10 hrs per day
Make sure you claim your milages 45ppm for the first 10k personally operate a small van too as a courier van so the can is totally deductable against the bussiness. The house room works out as about £3 per week. Claim for renewals and repairs. Gloves jacket work boots jeans etc make sure you claim for ie cheep jeans for work 5pairs = 50 quid you get the idea. Finally go see an accountant and get some proper advice as the can also help run your payrole . Have you bought a laptop\ tablet etc

alix776:
Make sure you claim your milages 45ppm for the first 10k personally operate a small van too as a courier van so the can is totally deductable against the bussiness. The house room works out as about £3 per week. Claim for renewals and repairs. Gloves jacket work boots jeans etc make sure you claim for ie cheep jeans for work 5pairs = 50 quid you get the idea. Finally go see an accountant and get some proper advice as the can also help run your payrole . Have you bought a laptop\ tablet etc

I have never claimed for clothes (except PPE Gloves and boots) on the basis of

"EIM32450
No deduction should be permitted under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 for the cost of ordinary clothing worn at work.

A laptop/tablet would only be fully deductible if you state that it was solely for business use and no private use at all.

Is this meal allowance if your self employed only?
I’m not self employed but I still eat food.

ckm1981:

Go to HMRC website and download form P87 and submit for tax year 2014/15 on 6th April 2015 and keep all food receipts related to work as they WILL ask for them now :exclamation: :exclamation: . :wink:

ckm1981:

Anyone can claim the meal allowance subject to the rules which I think from memory state that the cost must be incurred after starting the trip. So homemade sarnies are not allowable. However if you set off and bought bread, butter etc and kept the receipt then that should be OK.

You are allowed to claim depending on how long you are away from home. So door to door over 5 hours is one meal, over 10 hours is 2 meals. The rate is max £5 per meal and receipts are always better but I am not sure if they are a necessity. You could say you use vending machines as they don’t usually give receipts.

To get your tax back you could wait until after you receive your P60 and then fill out either a P87 or a self assessment.

If you could claim 2 meals per day for 5 days per week and work for 46 weeks then the tax back would be £460.

Also you may be able to claim for the laundering of a logoed uniform at the HMRC agreed rate of £60 per year. tax saving £12 per year. You may be able to backdate this for 6(■■) years giving you a little boost of £72. I did mine when I worked for a company just by ringing the HMRC helpline and asking for it. It shows up on my tax coding every year now.

shake:

alix776:

"EIM32450
No deduction should be permitted under Section 336 ITEPA 2003 for the cost of ordinary clothing worn at work.

A laptop/tablet would only be fully deductible if you state that it was solely for business use and no private use at all.

So you don’t wear clothes to work

alix776:

shake:

alix776:

"EIM32450

So you don’t wear clothes to work

Yes I do wear clothes to work but I don’t claim any tax allowance for them (PPE excepted) because it is not a deductible expense according to HMRC.

Repeat
"EIM32450

So you are provided work clothes by the client then

The principle is that whatever expense you are claiming an allowance for must be incurred “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” in the performance of your duties.

See here:
hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim32455.htm

Only if it has the company’s logo on can you claim,not if its your own clothing.

ckm1981:
Only if it has the company’s logo on can you claim,not if its your own clothing.

I think you are confusing the rules on purchase of clothing with those on cleaning/maintenance of uniform.

by alix776 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:34 pm

So you are provided work clothes by the client then

Where are your ideas coming from?

I buy clothes myself.

I wear them to work.

They are not tax deductible.

If you don’t agree then argue with HMRC.

shake:

"EIM32450

If you buy and use drivers trousers and jacket they’re deductible. Turning up in your normal jeans isn’t.

house phone, heat and light in a “business” room at home, part of the rent/mortgage for a"business" room home, work??

Unless you’re self employed, either Ltd or Sole Trader, you can’t claim those.

shake:
Some drivers seem to think that there are lots of deductible expenses to be had so as to reduce thier own tax bill. it is often said that an accountant will save thousands.

I just wonder if that is the case. I would welcome tips to reduce my tax liability.

I do not claim for much at the moment, I do claim for travel to a temporary work place at 45 pence per mile and mobile workers daily meal allowance ( HMRC dispensation pending), laundry of a logoed uniform and PPE. Nothing more.

My PPE works out at 12 pairs of gloves per year and one HiViz jacket per 3 years. Laundry at HMRC agreed rate of £60 per year. Meal allownce for MY 2 days per week £960 Total allowance = approx £1100 per year.

Mileage varies from site to site but on average mine may be 100 miles per week giving me a deductible of £2160 per year.

Some odds like mobile phone, house phone, heat and light in a “business” room at home, part of the rent/mortgage for a"business" room home, work?? jackets/trousers I do not claim for as they are either insignificant, cause more problems than they are worth or special HMRC rules may apply in these cases.

That is it for me a total of my deductibles per year. Not a lot but at £3260 saving me just £652 per year. Am I missing out? What else can I claim for? Would the new claims be allowable■■?

Forgot Dlicence, digi card CPC and medical.

You don’t say if you are employed or self employed or not as this makes a difference.

I’m employed, have logoed T shirts and a jacket.

I launder them at home so, can I claim anything.

And or possibly other stuff?

People keep mentioning this P87 form, but I wonder just who is entitled to what etc?? :confused:

Goldfinger:
I’m employed, have logoed T shirts and a jacket.

I launder them at home so, can I claim anything.

And or possibly other stuff?

People keep mentioning this P87 form, but I wonder just who is entitled to what etc?? :confused:

If you are employed then you won’t get much. Meal allowance is agreed with each individual company and HMRC. At our place it is £2.50 per day and HMRC will not allow anymore. You should not be able to claim for gloves, PPE, etc as your company has a duty to supply them.
i doubt you will be able to claim anything for laundry. I tried this a few years ago and it was declined.

You certainly should be able to claim for laundering expenses of work uniform. I did it several months ago and got a cheque for the tax already paid over the preceding years too. My tax code was also increased by 60 so in the future I will be £12 a year better off every year (WooHoo!).

The only thing I have claimed for as PAYE is the Laundry Allowance, it doesn’t have to be for logoed uniform, but for clothing you only wear for work.

Let’s face it for an allowance of £60 per year, I wouldn’t think they will be setting up any undercover stings to confirm this for many drivers :laughing:

If you are employed you can claim for some things like washing your work clothes simple write to your tax office explaining you are a driver they should have an agreed amount this will then be taken into account for your tax code

If you are self employed you can claim for a lot more there are courses run by HMCR that are free to help you or visit there web site

If you are a Sole Trader / LDT company then the rules are different again as if you set up as this you will pay coperation tax but might not pay income tax just pay your self just under the income tax limit