Expanding family

Another baby on the way,number four.
Need a people carrier now and trousers with deeper pockets :open_mouth:
Been looking at a saangyong rodius ,anyone got one?
Pros and cons ,I know mpg is bad ,would chipping them make a difference?

Mate has a 7 seater Chrysler Grand Voyager with the 2.8L diesel engine. Was quite surprised at the fuel economy. With four of us and a load of camping gear in it we got over 40MPG going to see WRC rallying in Wales.

Steer clear of anything Renault, especially with the DCi engine in, as they like to eat turbos, as I found out recently. :angry:

If you don’t mind something a little bit older, then howabout a Citroen Xsara Picasso,or it’s stablemate the Peugeot 807? Cheap to buy, but get one with the 2.0 HDi engine in, (Pre 55 plate) not the later 1.6 HDi engine.

Example: ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-PEUGEOT- … 3f2f2f33ac

Ken.

I’d avoid anything French if possible, electrical problems galore, plus as said the usual turbo failures and then the emission control system permanent headaches.

Rodius looks a bit of a bugger but appears to be as reliable and durable as anything comparable, (uniquely warranted for 250k miles for 3 years for taxi use) so lots will have been taxis, check the VED status before signing on the dotted line as many of the higher spec models go into the £470 band.
Only snag might be where locally you can get it looked at if it starts to play up.

For alternatives much depends on your budget, a August regd onwards 2010 Sedona will still be under Kia Warranty (up to 100k) for the balance of its 7 years, so long as you keep the service history complete.

On a lower budget consider a Mitsubishi Grandis, for a lower budget still the excellent rare and so nice to drive Avensis Verso (not the smaller Corolla based standard Verso).

Avoid Renault as above not just the engine but things like bulb changes then into a â– â– â– â–  of a job.

Peugeot Citroen HDI off good fuel numbers. Decent reliability (avoid the 1.6 HDI)

You could do worse than a v class merc (Vito with seats) nice to look at nice drive brilliant spec for the money.

VW Caravelle is the one to have but they’re all the money.

CRD Chrysler Voyager offer vey good spec and a nice drive and few reliability issues.

Or if you want to turn heads and save some wedge

Mitsubishi Delica is the one you want.

I spent months debating what I wanted when my ex wife calved down our 5th sprog and I ended up with a Discovery 3 bigger mistake I ever made with cars.

There isn’t a great deal wrong with ALL french cars, it’s just knowing which ones to avoid, and Renault ARE the top of the list.

The 2.0 HDi engined 406 (Of which I currently have one and have owned another in the past.) was used widely in taxi’s in it’s day, and would see 200k plus mileages without any problems, in fact a mate of mine has just got rid if his 53 plated one that had 293k on it, and bought another with a mere 112k on it. (I’m off to see it today.)

However the later 1.6 HDi, and now the 1.4 HDi are best avoided, as they made a big backward step when producing them. All to do with emissions I guess.

The one thing with Peugeot/Citroen group cars, is that a lot of parts are interchangeable, and the parts prices vary as well. I have a Xsara VTS road rally car, which shares the same platform as the GTi6, and apart from the shell and the gearbox, (5 Speed v 6 Speed.) all the parts fit. I once had a Citroen Berlingo van, and as the nearest dealer was in Leeds, I went to Peugeot in Wakefield to get my parts, as they do the Partner van, which is the same.

Ken.

Ken,

I n a similar vein to your Betlingo/ Partner. The back axle is out if a Saxo/106. The front suspension is 306.

The smaller HDI engines swallow their turbo and all other types of expensive

I’ve been happy with my Fiat Scudo cars and van. I bought all of them either new or as ex demonstrators.

The first one was a replacement for a 5 seat Fiat Doblo. The Scudo has 8 seats, 6 of which are removable. I had mine with 6000 miles on the clock and 6 months old as it was the sales managers company car (demonstrator as they called it). List price was over £22k. I paid £14k. I kept it 6 years and did another 120,000 miles in it before I replaced it in August 2013 with a brand new one, but this time I ordered one with a longer wheel base to get more luggage in when all the seats are in use. I decided not to have the 3rd zone A/C for the rear as it would have cost an extra £1500.00, so the kids will have to sweat when it gets hot :smiling_imp: The new one was still about £22k.

I also have a Scudo van for work, so it doesn’t seem much different driving for work or family duties (Granddad’s taxi service). The one weird thing is the gearshift. Reverse on the van is in the same place as 6th in the MPV (5 speed van, 6 speed MPV). I have tried a oouple of times to change up to 6th gear in the van which causes some alarming noises, but no other problems so far. :blush:

The delica is a great car but you’ll never get in a multi story car park again.

We are on our 3rd KIA - Carens, Sportage and now C’eed- and haven’t had any problems with any of them- IMHO they are as good as any other equivalent car but with a lot more provided as standard that other makes charge as extra’s- for what you need I would take a look at the Sedona a lot of car for the money

VW transporter kombi :slight_smile:

I have a diesel Citreon C5 its the best car that I have ever had.

I’d say you just need a telly or a vasectomy! :wink:

My daughter has the Vauxhall Zafria ( sp ) has 7 seats but they can be rearranged if you wish boot space quite good they are happy with it

Although they did have a prob with it not long after bought but was put right by garage runs fine not & they are happy with it

got a 08 plate seat Alhambra fsh 70k mls silver manual 2ltr desiel 7 seats manual 40 plus to gal if you intrested

Deeireland:
Another baby on the way,number four.
Need a people carrier now?

no!! you need either a telly or a hobby :smiley: :smiley:

animal:
My daughter has the Vauxhall Zafria ( sp ) has 7 seats but they can be rearranged if you wish boot space quite good they are happy with it

Although they did have a prob with it not long after bought but was put right by garage runs fine not & they are happy with it

They are prone to EGR problems.

Ken.

m1cks:
The delica is a great car but you’ll never get in a multi story car park again.

It’s win win then. If you’re attempting to enter a multi storey. You’re in a larger town or city. This I assure you is a bad thing

Rikki-UK:
We are on our 3rd KIA - Carens, Sportage and now C’eed- and haven’t had any problems with any of them- IMHO they are as good as any other equivalent car but with a lot more provided as standard that other makes charge as extra’s- for what you need I would take a look at the Sedona a lot of car for the money

MIL has just bought a Vega or Venga off Kia and she’s slap bang in love with it. Only trouble is it’s turned her into a little girl racer and at 67 that’s not a great idea.

Brilliant little car though.

Quinny:

animal:

They are prone to problems.

Ken.

FTFY