Exhaust system warning DAF

Right this is a 5 minute job in daf, but sitting in the drivers room you dont see what they do. The daf guy just told me they clean out the ad blue excess crystallized build up. Ive had this 4 times already on a 59 plate.

Whereabouts do the clean, i take it this is just with warm water. They don’t replace any sort of filter do they?

Sometimes there is a fuse that goes with this fault too, this adds engine malfunction light to the exhaust waning also truck drops into Limp mode, our 59 plate 85 has done this a few times, I think it’s the line out the tank blocking up, have been told its due to running the ad blue low but ours has done it with 1/2 tank , interestingly has not done it since we now have an on site ad blue tank although not sure if that’s relevant or not

what model is it as there are 2 different ad blue systems

ovy:
Sometimes there is a fuse that goes with this fault too, this adds engine malfunction light to the exhaust waning also truck drops into Limp mode, our 59 plate 85 has done this a few times, I think it’s the line out the tank blocking up, have been told its due to running the ad blue low but ours has done it with 1/2 tank , interestingly has not done it since we now have an on site ad blue tank although not sure if that’s relevant or not

you may find it is down to having your own supply .you are definetely better off with your own supply ,then it is easier to rectify issues with contamination .apparently some ad blue manufacturers weren’t manufacturing it quiet right …don’t think they used filtered de ionised water or something ,basically if made down south where the water is harder compared to up north where the water is softer ,then it would be full of lime scale …

We run a fleet of cf’s and there’s not a week goes by without 2 or 3 of ours visiting the daf dealer for this problem. Pain in the arse really :unamused:

Mine is a cf too we have 8 and this has happened 4-5 times to them all, the pain in the arse is its a 5 minute job but you’re sitting in daf for a whole afternoon waiting to be seen.

stupid little filter in the adblue inlet pipe is a common one also, about the size of a fingernail, tends to get blocked if tank is run very low / empty

Be thankful its not a Scania the 620 of mine had the same prob and it took two days! Offside front wing off ,fuel tank moved ect ect.

norb:
you may find it is down to having your own supply .you are definetely better off with your own supply ,then it is easier to rectify issues with contamination .apparently some ad blue manufacturers weren’t manufacturing it quiet right …don’t think they used filtered de ionised water or something ,basically if made down south where the water is harder compared to up north where the water is softer ,then it would be full of lime scale …

De-ionised water is just that, no impurities and makes not a jot of difference whether the water is hard or soft. Once water has been de-ionised it removes chloride, calcium,sulphate,iron and sodium. demineralised water is distilled removing calcious content along with every other impurity and is pure water…at least it was when I did chemistry at school…45 years ago!

Probs are often due to people using old watering cans, oil cans etc to decant the fluid.

You should either pump direct from tank/IBC (make sure nozzle is clean) or pour in from sealed bottle if you have to buy from a facility where they don’t sell in bulk.

Don’t dilute or contaminate the fluid in any way.

As with merc its the diffuser valve that gets blocked not the add blue feed.Stupid little bloody filter that filters the purge air pulse.Pull the little swine out and chuck it.Dont need warm water as only air passes through the diffuser.On Mercs you got to chuck the filter
then rev the engine to max for 5 seconds and engine check light then goes from flashing to solid amber to show stored fault on MR ecu.You got to use the merc das to erase the fault and put the lamp out on the dash.

The light comes on if the pressure drops too low to force the add blue into the exhaust gas downstream of the turbo charger.And thats caused by the piddlin little plastic filter.The add blue has its own filtering system.

And you think its a pain now? wait till we got euro 6 add blue crap tied in with EGR now that will be fun fun fun!!!

Ours are doing this aswell, one of them got that blocked up it ran on limited power even though i had a full tank of adblue and had just had visited the daf dealer to get the inlet holes drilled bigger, ended up just getting a hole cut out so the adblue can get through. Was told by daf that if the truck aint running to an optimum weight, Think he said 60% of the plated weight then it doesnt get through enough.

Anyway that truck is still sitting at the workshop its nearly 4 weeks now, mines constantly ets the exhaust system warning and have been told to ignore it, starting to hate the bloody things these days,

gogzy:
Ours are doing this aswell, one of them got that blocked up it ran on limited power even though i had a full tank of adblue and had just had visited the daf dealer to get the inlet holes drilled bigger, ended up just getting a hole cut out so the adblue can get through. Was told by daf that if the truck aint running to an optimum weight, Think he said 60% of the plated weight then it doesnt get through enough.

Anyway that truck is still sitting at the workshop its nearly 4 weeks now, mines constantly ets the exhaust system warning and have been told to ignore it, starting to hate the bloody things these days,

Think you should find yourself a proper garage instead of a parking lot.They camping out in it or what?Its a truck not a nuclear reactor.

I dont know what their doing with it tbh, who cares ive got an xf to run about in instead lol

phantom309:
stupid little filter in the adblue inlet pipe is a common one also, about the size of a fingernail, tends to get blocked if tank is run very low / empty

We’re abouts is this fitter and paper filter as mine is doing it to, fitted new nox senser still the same.

Thanks andrew

phantom309:

Happened to me yesterday with a 59 plate XF with 742k on the clock.

A visit to the DAF dealer, and 1 1/2 hours later, I was on my way with the faults cleared off the dash.

Ken.

GasGas:
Probs are often due to people using old watering cans, oil cans etc to decant the fluid.

You should either pump direct from tank/IBC (make sure nozzle is clean) or pour in from sealed bottle if you have to buy from a facility where they don’t sell in bulk.

Don’t dilute or contaminate the fluid in any way.

so you cant just ■■■■ in the tank when you run out then■■? :astonished:

We run a fleet of daf xfs and cfs and we dont really have alot of adblue trouble but when we do i just plug in the texa which is just as good as the davie it tells me where to look and 99% of the time its right. The other day i had oneof our cfs in and it told methe adblue injecter wasnt working but it wasnt that simple if you dont know adblue is feed to theinjecter by air pressure and in the end i found out a stone had flicked up and split the air feed pipe all done now

fitter man 1983:
We run a fleet of daf xfs and cfs and we dont really have alot of adblue trouble but when we do i just plug in the texa which is just as good as the davie it tells me where to look and 99% of the time its right. The other day i had oneof our cfs in and it told methe adblue injecter wasnt working but it wasnt that simple if you dont know adblue is feed to theinjecter by air pressure and in the end i found out a stone had flicked up and split the air feed pipe all done now

This was all done 16 month ago but thanks for your input :wink:

We have similar problems with our 59 plate Dafs in and out of the dealers constantly